OGUK in BKK

starman_tom

Hi guys,

Advice please on doing the OGUK medical in BKK. Price and timeframe to get the papers.

A few years ago I did it at Samitivej, it cost 27k if I remember correctly, took forever to get the paperwork since they "had to send the methadone test away to be cleared".

I have a feeling the nice lady there added a WHOLE lot of extras to the list of that to test, I'm looking at having done a standard OGUK with no 'add ons'.

Thanks!

Bangrumgrad. had it done there in March. Ring up make an appointment. Get there at least 40 mins early as have to check in at reception & fill in paperwork. I had appointment at 09:30 hrs got called about 09:40, blood pressure etc, piss test, hearing & sight test. Into see the doc whack on the knee to test reflexes check breathing. Take a seat paperwork done certificate issued out of the by noon.  Toal cost was around 3,500 baht, maybe a little more or less. Very easy, if you are entering from Soi 1 side is in the building on the right .  Sorry can't remember the docs name but their website should have it. No blood tests required.

Same here, I was the 10th January there and was very satisfied.

the UKOG and also Norwegian can be done in Bungrumrat Hospital, simple easy and almost sure you pass any test. 

3500 baht was the price compared to BKK Hospital Pattaya for 7900 Baht 2 years ago and quite a lot of more tests done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, starman_tom said:

Thanks guys, obviously the a-holes at Samitivej milked the dumb farang a bit, won't go there again. I'll give Bumrungrad a call then, better do this first day I'm back home ?

Can you let me know how it pans out, i was thinking of bkk / ptty but will be in BKK early next week so Bumungrad might be the go...

Thanks.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:56 PM, JaiLai said:

Can you let me know how it pans out, i was thinking of bkk / ptty but will be in BKK early next week so Bumungrad might be the go...

Thanks.

I would do yes, but I'm stuck here on the water in Brazil for now, going home just at the end of August so I'll sort it them. A report will follow.

Oh, and here's a thing: make sure "Bi-Deltoid Measurment" is included in the medical, it's basically shoulder width. Companies are asking for that these days, it's about fitting out thru that chopper window...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, starman_tom said:

I would do yes, but I'm stuck here on the water in Brazil for now, going home just at the end of August so I'll sort it them. A report will follow.

Oh, and here's a thing: make sure "Bi-Deltoid Measurment" is included in the medical, it's basically shoulder width. Companies are asking for that these days, it's about fitting out thru that chopper window...

Nice one.

I thought the shoulder measurement was just for Norway / N Sea, won't hurt to get it done though i suppose, although i have no intention of working Norway / N sea,,,,

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 4:06 AM, sharktooth said:

I always get mine done at Bumrungrad and it is hassle free. Got the noggie add on last time which was just an additional chest X-ray.

Ahh I should have done the noggie add on as well then... And the D&A, which is not a part of the OGUK at Bum.

Just saw a job opening that asked for OGUK with D&A test.

Dr Wattana also said he can't do shoulder measurement, that they don't have the tools for that. I explained to him the whole 'get out of chopper window'-thing, he said BMI should be enough.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:46 AM, starman_tom said:

obviously the a-holes at Samitivej milked the dumb farang a bit

Wouldn't be the first time. Always be wary of a hospital with a dude playing a grand piano in the foyer. Once bitten twice shy for me.

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
On 8/10/2018 at 12:33 AM, starman_tom said:

I just saw one of the recruiters at a well know agency posting her "official shoulder measuring certificate" on LinkedIn. I can't recall what industry regulatory body issues the certificate, if any. More likely just from another training center. In my experience, it's the beer guts on some of the older oilfield trash that could get stuck in the chopper window! Maybe someone has done the science and linked beer guts to bi-deltoid dimensions but I doubt it.

TBH, it sounds like another invention by jobsworths at agencies and training centers to make extra money during the downturn. The last time we had serious, superfluous nonsense was after oil dipped below US$10/bbl and a whole lot of BOSIET and sea survival training shops got together and sold some national oil companies on asking for early renewal of the original 4-year certificate. Some of these companies still insist that if your certificate is more than 3 years old, then a refresher needs to be taken regardless if the certificate still has up to 12 months remaining validity. Makes money for the training centers that probably have a tie-in with some of the national oil companies anyway.

Just renewed my OGUK at Bamrungrad. In at 8:45, out at 10:45, fastest turnaround yet and cost 3940 baht... it was 3750 baht two years ago and 3570 baht four years ago. The ear, nose and throat department that does the audiogram have relocated into the same Clinic Building on floor 12 so that's a bit quicker... although it was the test where I had to wait longest for my turn this morning. It was quiet when I arrived on Floor 16 but it was was quite busy when I picked up my certificate and left.

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Just renewed my OGUK at Bamrungrad. In at 8:45, out at 10:45, fastest turnaround yet and cost 3940 baht... it was 3750 baht two years ago and 3570 baht four years ago. The ear, nose and throat department that does the audiogram have relocated into the same Clinic Building on floor 12 so that's a bit quicker... although it was the test where I had to wait longest for my turn this morning. It was quiet when I arrived on Floor 16 but it was was quite busy when I picked up my certificate and left.

BKK/ptty do it about 1000 baht cheaper but i guess that's shrapnel if you're big in OnG.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:26 PM, JaiLai said:

BKK/ptty do it about 1000 baht cheaper but i guess that's shrapnel if you're big in OnG.

Until 6 years ago, I got them done at BPH and back then probably even cheaper. However, I always had to badger them NOT to include non-essential, add-on tests . Maybe they've given up trying to milk that cow so much? With Bamrungrad there's never been any messing about trying to pad a bill and Dr Vatana said, 'Let's get you out of here quick, OK?"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Until 6 years ago, I got them done at BPH and back then probably even cheaper. However, I always had to badger them NOT to include non-essential, add-on tests . Maybe they've given up trying to milk that cow so much? With Bamrungrad there's never been any messing about trying to pad a bill and Dr Vatana said, 'Let's get you out of here quick, OK?"

They're still trying to add on tests that are not required.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 5:53 PM, NanLaew said:

When i did my first check at Bumrungrad about 15 years ago they also tried to put extra examinations on the list.

This was still in the email and making a appointment phase.

After i insisted what was and what was not required they agreed and booked a normal check-up.

But i have to admit this was the only time that they tried this (maybe because i was there for the first time) and every time after this it was painless.

• 1 month later...

Just did UKOG and NMD together at Samitivej, it's the only place I can get the Norwegian one in thailand now as Bumrungrad don't do it anymore. 

Cost was 15,400 absolute f*cking rip off. UKOG needs a methodone/Heroin test. This needs to be done outside Thailand so it takes 9 days to get the certificate.

I will do it outside Thailand is future. I don't know anywhere in the world as expensive as here now. 

Edited by paulfaz

On 1/3/2020 at 12:14 PM, paulfaz said:

Just did UKOG and NMD together at Samitivej, it's the only place I can get the Norwegian one in thailand now as Bumrungrad don't do it anymore. 

Cost was 15,400 absolute f*cking rip off. UKOG needs a methodone/Heroin test. This needs to be done outside Thailand so it takes 9 days to get the certificate.

I will do it outside Thailand is future. I don't know anywhere in the world as expensive as here now. 

I did my OGUK at Bamrungrad last November. No need for any "methodone/Heroin test" and identical to the last one at Bamrungrad 2 years ago. Cost 3800 baht and in and out in less than 3 hours.

I did my NMD medical separately at Sumitivej last December. The only test additional to the OGUK exam was the chest x-ray. Busy so took longer than the normal 4 hours and cost 4300 baht.

You've been had. File a complaint.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I did my OGUK at Bamrungrad last November. No need for any "methodone/Heroin test" and identical to the last one at Bamrungrad 2 years ago. Cost 3800 baht and in and out in less than 3 hours.

I did my NMD medical separately at Sumitivej last December. The only test additional to the OGUK exam was the chest x-ray. Busy so took longer than the normal 4 hours and cost 4300 baht.

You've been had. File a complaint.

3800 Baht ?

better check the price next time as I paid about 1900-2000 Baht the last 2 times.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, merijn said:

3800 Baht ?

better check the price next time as I paid about 1900-2000 Baht the last 2 times.

Yeah I did one at Samitivej last year, and it cost about the same as in the UK, none of those crazy 5-figure prices.

I recently renewed my UKOG and Noggy medical cert at Bumrungrad ,, no Heroin / Opiates test required for that ,  its Petronas  medicals that do that .

But now some agency in UK is questioning that on their routine compliance checks  for  Validity of the certificate and checking with Bumrungrad saying its a Fake ????!!!!,, I have all the test results and receipts from Bumrungrad so i dont understand  <deleted> is going on ?

26 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I recently renewed my UKOG and Noggy medical cert at Bumrungrad ,, no Heroin / Opiates test required for that ,  its Petronas  medicals that do that .

But now some agency in UK is questioning that on their routine compliance checks  for  Validity of the certificate and checking with Bumrungrad saying its a Fake ????!!!!,, I have all the test results and receipts from Bumrungrad so i dont understand  <deleted> is going on ?

The offshore medical from Doctor Vatana at the Bumrungrad is definitely UKOG approved.

I use him without any problems for many years for my UK employer. 

Edited by merijn

17 minutes ago, merijn said:

The offshore medical from Doctor Vatana at the Bumrungrad is definitely UGUK approved.

I use him without any problems for many years for my UK employer. 

I have used Dr Vatana 6 times over the years ,, The agency concerned its ATLAS  one of th biggest and  the most bureaucratic . They accepted my previous  Bumrungrad Certs  , but the insist this time it is  not valid  and is a Fake ,

I have contacted Bumrungrad  and they confirm that ATLAS did contact them  during a compliance test , and they say that the Certificate is VALID so they also are confused  and definitely   pixxed off .

Edited by liddelljohn

On 2/7/2020 at 8:48 AM, liddelljohn said:

Dr Vatana Supromajakr at Bamrungrad is an approved OGUK (Oil & Gas UK) medical examiner and certificate provider. He is the only one listed on the OGUK's own website.

You say you renewed the "UK and Noggy medical cert" at Bamrungrad. Having recently renewed both last November and December, AFAIK no doctor at Bamrungrad is authorized by the NMA (Norwegian Maritime Authority) to do the examination or issue their fitness certificate. The only doctor that can is Dr Thanes Sinsongsook at Sumitivej Sukhumvit 49. This certificate is recognized as equivalent to the UK's MSC ENG1 medical certificate and Thanes at Sumitivej is confirmed on the MCA's website as being the sole provider. The only other regional one listed is in KL.

Good point on the heroin and opiates test being a specific Petronas add-on. My understanding is that whenever they find a certificate that has already been seen as globally compliant but doesn't have the opiates test or some other in-house requirements, one has to re-do the medical at one of their approved doctors in KL. Their bureacracy just another reason why I decline any Petronas contracts I am offered.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:13 AM, liddelljohn said:

You no longer need a seperate Norwiegan medical , if you have UKOG one  the noggies changed the rules  2 years ago .

Correct inasmuch as both issuing authorities now offer mutual recognition. However, individual clients or vessel owners or fleet operators can insist that ONLY the NMA certificate is acceptable. That is why I had two virtually identical examinations by both doctors and two different certificates issued on separate dates in November and December last year.

A final point to note on OGUK medicals; there's a very recent requirement for a FTT or 'fitness to test' endorsement on this certificate. This is due to the offshore industry finally standardizing on the C-A EBS (compressed-air emergency breathing system) for the OPITO-approved HUET certificate (helicopter underwater escape training). OPITO requires that the candidates lung capacity and lung condition is sufficient to work with a compressed-air system and thus the 2-yearly OGUK medical will have lung capacity tests added to the list. I have not heard if the NMA have started asking for this.

NAN LAEW  I only did the UKOG with Dr Vatana ,, sorry for the misunderstanding ,, The NMA is no longer required if you have valid OGUK  and an STCW 1 medical for some Norway  jobs .

Atlas are still saying the medical is not valid ,, I its very frustrating and I smell a rat as they also have picked up on MTCS competency certs that were Fakes run from a duplicate website , run by some Offshore guys from India  now closed down , I never used MTCS anyway but some  people I know got scammed . ..so far other agencies are saying the Bumrungrad cert is valid ..

Dr Vatana is away on holiday and i waiting till 18th to speak with him .

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, merijn said:

Do you mean at OGUK at Bamrungrad ? How do you get this price? I don't know what @NanLaew is on about with YMMV as the price is fixed at this hospital. It was 3845THB when I did mine a couple years ago for the basic cheap option.

4 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Do you mean at OGUK at Bamrungrad ? How do you get this price? I don't know what @NanLaew is on about with YMMV as the price is fixed at this hospital. It was 3845THB when I did mine a couple years ago for the basic cheap option.

Yes the basic offshore medical at Bumrungrad. ( Doctor Vatana) As mentioned before the first time the tried charge a higher price and extra test but after i objected and provided them a list of which test was required they agreed and provided me the price around 2000 Baht . (i go there for almost 30 years so maybe that is a reason. i don't know)