Thai Transport Min applying Japan's road safety measures to reduce accidents

webfact

"Mad Max" style seems to be the norm for Thai roads, the cops don't even know how to drive, yesterday one just passed a car in front of me without using blinker !

Dumb 'n Dumber will never learn anything, it has to start from the root core... Throw the baby away and start again : that's the only chance ! Maybe Thailand 5.0 will do ? ha ha ha ?

The truth is that nobody wants any change here... Why on hell would you want to modify something that is the most perfect on earth and heaven ?? Thainess is the model to follow and freedom to die on you motor vehicule is your birthright, a gift of the nation ! So enjoy and drive as fast as possible without thinking ^^ and pay your taxes !!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, z42 said:

Well, seeing as they'll be without Japan's highly competent and highly diligent police force, and that the drivers on  the roads will still be Thai nationals driving akin to the criminally insane, I am not holding out much hope for this venture. Would give an easter egg a run for its money in the hollowness stakes, sigh

Spot on Z42.

The Thai mindset, lazy, corrupt, incompetent Police force and lack of care from the silly little general and his team of trough diggers will ensure that this effort achieves zero.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

why is that too complicated for the Thai????? 

Over 90% of "why" questions relating to the way things are done in Thailand can be correctly answered by the three-word phrase, "Can't be bothered."

17 minutes ago, kannot said:

its  not, its  simply lip service

and a free lunch at the Novotel

and a per diem payment

and a photo opportunity

and something to justify the existence of one of the myriad of government agencies here.

The problem with drivers here, in my opinion, is that even if you stop them and fine them (or worse) they don’t have the ability to register what they’ve done wrong and so immediately continue to do wrong, for example speeding, driving erratically etc. 

The more pertinent question is how to change their cognitive process to understand good and bad driving, or to care about the rules of the road.

What i notice frequently  lets say i pass an overloaded truck on the highway and if that drivers feels i was doing that somehow not correctly in his eyes then such person will do whatever he can to get back at me not matter what even if he needs drive 140 km an hour with his overloaded truck passing 4-6 vehicles on the wrong lanes just to get back infront of me  doesn’t matter only its important that he gets even or something... it’s usually very amusing for me their behavior...Its completely  inrelevant for them how many lives including their own they bring in danger its all about safe face...

So i say Lets ban all the trucks and buses from fast lanes on highways!! Left lanes only.

3 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

The problem with drivers here, in my opinion, is that even if you stop them and fine them (or worse) they don’t have the ability to register what they’ve done wrong and so immediately continue to do wrong, for example speeding, driving erratically etc. 

The more pertinent question is how to change their cognitive process to understand good and bad driving, or to care about the rules of the road.

So in fact you mean they all have down syndrome?

3 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

They know 100% they are doing wrong.

But they don't care as, no one else cares.

Cops, Government, Schools, Parents, Monks, and so on, and so on.

wash and rinse again, on same setting.

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

"... Japan ... focus on the standard of transports and equipment and the safety of drivers and passengers, and the Department of Land Transport has decided to apply them to the Thai public transport system."

I guess that vague bit is what they are doing? 

3 hours ago, Aj Mick said:

So, just what are these Japanese road safety measures?

They say a lot without saying anything. Would be nice to know what exactly it is that will be implemented / changed on the pilot routes. New vans or buses?  lower speed limits? Well maintained roads? 

A huge step would be enforce existing rules . 

2 hours ago, CPH said:

Thailand is a car producing country. You cannot expect them to introduce harsh rules that would irritate drivers and influence the sale of cars.

......and Japan isn't a car producing country?!!!!!!    It seems that they introduced these same harsh rules without the influence you write about.

The issue is with the Thai psyche, nothing else.

So are Thai drivers going to turn Japanese? I would imagine in Japan you have to do a proper test to get a licence,and would be in big trouble if you drive without one,hardly comparable many Thai's think a licence is an option,road rules a suggestion,and overtaking in the most dangerous situations mandatory.

3 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Without proper law enforcement this will turn out to be another expensive eunuch program.

The problem being is all laws in Thailand are eunuch laws, no balls. 

Nothing will educate Thai drivers more than being hit hard in the pocket. Common sense is not available here and cannot be applied, it’s all about money.

In general life it’s a me me me culture here but put someone behind the wheel of a car and nobody else exists. I drive in Bangkok every day but I never cease to be amazed at the things I see

I really hope this will make a difference but as time goes on, we know it won't. At least get the police out of the check points and put them on the roads where maybe they will see bad driving and stop it before an accident happens.

I also hope to win the lottery but that has the same chance as this program.

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Well let's start at the beginning.

In Japan ALL roadusers drive the same direction on a lane...why is that too complicated for the Thai????? 

Never mind that, Zero percent alcohol and jail first offence, that will help, never going to happen. 

A bit like training crocodiles to be like monkeys and climb up trees. Or to try to get Charles Manson to be Mother Theresa.

FFrom one extreme, the most selfish reckless drivers in the world to the other extreme, the most courteous safest drivers. One step at a time:First step drive like the Khmer, still horrendous but a slight improvement on the butchery on Thai roads :Honorable Hun Sen can assist. 

What a joke. Be explicit, what are these measures???  Unless there are really severe penalties for drivers breaking the road rules and having no license then nothing will change. Exceeding speed limit by more than 10kmh 20,000 bht fine and license confiscated for 1 year as well as compulsory road rule lessons, run by capable instructors of course, if they can find any.

4 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

A bit like training crocodiles to be like monkeys and climb up trees. Or to try to get Charles Manson to be Mother Theresa.

FFrom one extreme, the most selfish reckless drivers in the world to the other extreme, the most courteous safest drivers. One step at a time:First step drive like the Khmer, still horrendous but a slight improvement on the butchery on Thai roads :Honorable Hun Sen can assist. 

A 50% chance then,  all is not lost :smile:

Croc in tree.jpg

" the measures will be expanded to eight additional pilot routes that are prone to road accidents. "

lets hope the Japanese can help the Thais with their very bad habit of projecting blame on to any near by inanimate object.    

12 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

Drunken in charge of a motor vehicle, 100,000 bht fine, 6 months jail and a life suspension of license.

I hear you,  but you got to make it do able.

How about 30,000 fine.

1 month jail.

Vehicle destroyed. ( that one will hurt )

Also as much public shaming as possible, Names, pictures, videos.

news papers, schools, also in the home village on signs.

Keep the licence, as it's worthless over here.

According to a source close to authorities, the crackdown will now even apply to drivers of BMW 3 series and 5 series. However, owners of 7 series will be wai-ed for their exemlplery financial success and of course be exempt from any wrongdoing. 

Archived