Thai Transport Min applying Japan's road safety measures to reduce accidents

webfact

8 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Agree about the US roads.  Roads and food are what the US does best. 

Hit I95 and just go! 

Did you use "food" and "the US does best" in the same sentence?! 

Have to disagree there... 

They would be better off copying the UK methods, as the death rate on the roads here  is roughly half that of japan and about one quarter that of the USA. The reason is simply one of active enforcement of existing laws which we all know doesn't happen in Thailand. There are 37,000,000  registered vehicles in the UK but less than 2000 or so deaths per year including those that died within 30 days of an accident.

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I am convinced that people here drive exactly like they walk. No idea why though 

Because they have never been taught how to do it.

In Tokyo they have the unwritten rule to stand left on the escalators, my wife always forgot that so they japanese would kindly push her aside all the time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

How can they implement another countries system when they cant even implement their own system.

They do implement there own system.

it's called, I don't give a shit about anyone else system, now get out the way

i'm more impotent than you.

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2018 at 2:07 AM, ecline said:

The article actually says nothing at all. No detail about what the measures entail. It is meaningless drivel even if the effort referred to in the "article" is substantive.

couldn't agree with you more

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 8:27 AM, stanleycoin said:

No qualified, competent, responsible Thai teachers in Thailand to do the job.

A non starter. 

I disagree. There may be no qualified Thai instructors now, but it could be a starting point.

Educate Thai teachers in defensive driving tactics and slowly introduce into Thai school curriculum.

Gotta start somewhere. Or even gov't sponsored driving schools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

I disagree. There may be no qualified Thai instructors now, but it could be a starting point.

Educate Thai teachers in defensive driving tactics and slowly introduce into Thai school curriculum.

Gotta start somewhere. Or even gov't sponsored driving schools.

Wow - you really are an optimist. Yes, what you are saying is good but the reality is TIT!

• Like 1

Just now, lvr181 said:

Wow - you really are an optimist. Yes, what you are saying is good but the reality is TIT!

HaHa. Not really optimistic it will happen. I'm just thinking it's the only way. 

Gotta start somewhere but in the middle of all this corruption don't think it'll ever happen.

• Like 1

It is fairly evident from the posts on this thread that the average poster has absolutely no understanding of what road safety is, but seems to believe that because they have a car they are some kind of expert.....The same could be said for some one thinks that because they went to school they are experts on education or because they've been to hospital that are now a doctor.

Interesting to note too that the regions with the highest death rates...only one stat BTW - are those with the highest numbers of foreigners.

Also that if you are in a 4 wheel private vehicle you are as likely to die as you are in the USA.

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jimmynewbie said:

So Kwilco nothing to do with them going down the road the wrong way at 150km overtaking on bends and hills in the pouring rain at night then?

Its the foreigners ! are you thai or a troll?

Or disconnecting their headlights on the scooters (it's the fashion!) or not putting on headlights at dusk,climbing dead drunk into the pickup with family loaded on the tray-or not putting on the pesky seatbelts with unrestrained children bouncing around in cabins,roaring out of side streets or ally ways without bothering to look-they are the kings and queen's of death's highways.

Of course it is the foreigners fault-altho' they die like flies up my neck of the words with nary a "farang" in sight-it MUST be due to the foreigners....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kwilco said:

As ever people think this has a driving problem when in fact it has a road safety problem.

Of course, in its widest literal meaning, it is a "road safety problem". BUT of all the reasons/events leading up to this "road safety problem" the biggest cause are drivers/riders! There can be no dispute regarding this. Quite simply put - no drivers/riders no problem! Their training, their attitudes (cultural and religious) and the strict enforcement of laws will reduce road trauma. Improvements to roads etc. will also help. They are secondary. And there has to be the will by the authorities to do something about this "problem". Remember - no will, no way.

Therefore, IT IS A DRIVING PROBLEM first and foremost!!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 8/9/2018 at 5:32 AM, Thian said:

Well let's start at the beginning.

In Japan ALL roadusers drive the same direction on a lane...why is that too complicated for the Thai????? 

The buffalo never had accidents so what is the difference for a car? (Thai way of thinking)