Thai Transport Min applying Japan's road safety measures to reduce accidents

webfact

I have travelled to a great many countries in the world and by far Japan seems to have the most disciplined and courteous drivers, but there is the problem for Thailand...the drivers are just not Japanese in their mind set, until they get rid of the me first me first attitude , lose face, belief in amulets , things will never change here...with or without Japanese input!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

I have little to no confidence in them at all after observing over 30 years the inability of the country to sustain any serious undertaking that is difficult. 

However, that they are admitting to looking outside their borders for answers is a HUGE and unexpected improvement. 

A few years ago, I let my flatmate use my car on the understanding that I taught him some basic safety rules, and good habits to get into.

He honestly thought that the white lines on the roads were for 'guidance only', and double white lines had no real significance.

I suppose that for a motor cyclist, you could get away with this, and he did quite well.

He even learned to indicate that he was pulling out from a road before and not after the event!

But as most on this site seem to agree, the b.i.b. need to be a lot more active, and not handing out token fines which I doubt ever reach the state treasury.

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Applying common sense, and applying proper punishments for offenders would be a great start. 

I don't really see the need to be looking to other country's methods, as the problems are mainly caused by the person behind the steering wheel, the majority of which here, have had no proper training in driving skills.

Exactly, there are laws already that cover driving here perfectly well enough. It is the mentality that needs to change not the laws.

1 hour ago, djayz said:

It'll never work here. 

The Japanese are a self-disciplined, law abiding people and the police are well-trained, professional and uphold the law. All these,and a few more,  characteristics are necessary for a country to tackle issues such as road safety. 

The Thais on the other hand are non of the above.  

It has taken me a few years, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that the road safety problems here will never be eradicated. You simply can't teach an old dog new tricks.

You actually mean - "you can't fix stupid" 

12 minutes ago, masuk said:

A few years ago, I let my flatmate use my car on the understanding that I taught him some basic safety rules, and good habits to get into.

He honestly thought that the white lines on the roads were for 'guidance only', and double white lines had no real significance.

I suppose that for a motor cyclist, you could get away with this, and he did quite well.

He even learned to indicate that he was pulling out from a road before and not after the event!

But as most on this site seem to agree, the b.i.b. need to be a lot more active, and not handing out token fines which I doubt ever reach the state treasury.

To be honest mate. i think it was a face thing, 

They know what they are doing is wrong.

but as no one cares,  they continue to do it.

I could be wrong,  but think your flat mate was lying to you.

it has been known for some people,  to tell the occasional lie from time to time  over here. :giggle:

...seems like they are skipping many steps in between...

...going from nothing to everything...???

...on an aside...seeing the state of crashed vehicles here...

...have car design/construction/assembly standards changed so much in the past decade or so...???

...no more 'safety cage construction'....???

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Transport has started to implement some of Japan's road safety measures in Thailand in an effort to reduce accidents.

Great!  But, do we get to know what these measures are, or is it just another way of extorting money from the motorists!  Implementing the current laws would be a good start.

Some more utter BS for the gullible public.  And why Japan,  looking for freebie trips for consultation purposes as they are hardly the safest at 4.7 deaths per 100,000.   and  6.5 per 100,000 vehicles

Closer to home there is Singapore with a lower death count and of course if they really want to learn try the UK at 2.6 per 100,000  ( Ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate )

No just utter BS as I said and as many others have already said,  it needs to be enforced . That requires an honest and safety conscious police force - They fail on both counts.

It also requires a safety awareness mindset.  Hardly likely an Thai will understand that meaning when they believe in mumbo jumbo superstition and amulets.  Couple that with the crap they hang from their interior mirrors, dangling around obscuring vision,  and the Thais will never ever be save on the road

It would have been interesting to know what the road safety measures actually entail. Maybe they haven't worked it out yet.

Japan and Thailand = chalk and cheese.

Drivers are courteous and patient in Japan. They stop at red lights and seem to stick to speed limits and drive on the correct side of the road. You don't see beaten-up pickups, overloaded trucks and there are very few motorcycles as the Japanese prefer to get on a bicycle for a short ride.

But the biggest difference is that Japan has many fewer vehicles on its roads, mainly due to it's comprehensive rail system. People get the train rather than drive. Most major cities have an underground system and trains from Tokyo to Osaka, for example, leave every ten minutes for the 500km trip.

So, whatever works in Japan will probably not work in Thailand.

Great, now all the Ministry of Transport needs to do is replace Thai people with Japanese people and this wonderful idea will work. Japanese kids are raised to respect rules and respect others in society. It is called (和) Wa. Thailand lives by mai bpen rai. Nobody cares about rules, laws or anyone but themselves. Until Thailand and Thais decide to take a good hard look at their society, nothing will change. You can make all the laws and import all the ideas from developed, civilized countries you want, but until there are fundamental changes in attitude towards others, and respect for the rule of law, nothing will change. Let the carnage commence. 

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Credit where it is due for looking to Japan who are generally brilliant in their safety measures. I hope TH authorities can improve the roads, but I know it will be difficult. 

The Japanese are highly courteous and responsible drivers. Developing that in Thailand may require a big culture shift. 

"Developing that in Thailand may require a big culture shift." That is NOT going to happen anytime soon.

For sure some of these issues need to be addressed but it is the "nut on the steering wheel" that should be the PRIORITY to be addressed!

Good, responsible, well trained, aware and licenced drivers/riders would reduce the road toll considerably, in conjunction with real enforcement of the laws. Anything else is merely an adjunct.

The  current Government (and those before it) are merely "window dressing" and are incapable or not willing to address the real issues of road trauma. AKA, couldn't care less! :post-4641-1156693976:

7 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Great, now all the Ministry of Transport needs to do is replace Thai people with Japanese people and this wonderful idea will work. Japanese kids are raised to respect rules and respect others in society. It is called (和) Wa. Thailand lives by mai bpen rai. Nobody cares about rules, laws or anyone but themselves. Until Thailand and Thais decide to take a good hard look at their society, nothing will change. You can make all the laws and import all the ideas from developed, civilized countries you want, but until there are fundamental changes in attitude towards others, and respect for the rule of law, nothing will change. Let the carnage commence. 

Spot on.  

8 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Brilliant post (above). Jam-packed with truth - every single line.

44 minutes ago, wvavin said:

All Japanese have only one brain but they really know how to use it. Are Thais capable of doing this? .........LOL

Yes i think they can, all is not lost. :jap:

You just need to take a very, very big stick to them.

Beat the dog enough and it will jump through the hoop, and wag its tail.

Get the big stick out I say.

It will save 25000 lives a year and they will grow up as a Nation :thumbsup:,                           oops :burp:

2 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes i think you can, all is not lost. :jap:

You just need to take a very, very big stick to them.

Beat the dog enough and it will jump through the hoop, and wag its tail.

Get the big stick out I say.

It will save 25000 lives a year and they will grow up as a Nation :thumbsup:,  oops :burp:

You can't cure a dog with rabies by beating it with a big stick.

I was talking to a Thai lady recently about getting a drivers license.. it came up that she had to renew hers.. big problem.. many questions and have to sit through 5 hours of lectures, videos etc.. I said that will be hard for you ..you work a lot... No no.. I pay 300 Bt..! 

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I have little to no confidence in them at all after observing over 30 years the inability of the country to sustain any serious undertaking that is difficult. 

However, that they are admitting to looking outside their borders for answers is a HUGE and unexpected improvement. 

its  not, its  simply lip service

Archived