Thai Transport Min applying Japan's road safety measures to reduce accidents

webfact

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

It must be really hard for the Japanese not to burst out laughing at these meetings.

I remember a japanese proverb used to be told on dojos:

"If you want to learn : I show you and explain,

if you don't understand, I show you and explain again.

If still not understand, I'll repeat it 100 times,

if still not understand, not possible to explain to you !"

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Credit where it is due for looking to Japan who are generally brilliant in their safety measures. I hope TH authorities can improve the roads, but I know it will be difficult. 

The Japanese are highly courteous and responsible drivers. Developing that in Thailand may require a big culture shift. 

Japanese drivers were crazier than Thais in the 1950s, post war, when people could afford cars but drove like samurai. The govt implemented preventive strategies - large policeman effigies at intersections, fake squad cars with flashing lights at black spots, intensive driving tests - long written exams, expensive tuition on off-road tracks. And you can't buy a car unless you can park it off street. Took 20 years. I worked there in the 1970s, remarked on polite drivers, then Japanese colleagues told me the horror stories of previous years. Thais can do it, with the right  incentives.  

The Thai authorities really just on't care about road safety. This is just another attempt to try to give the impression that the authorities wish to do something to reduce the appalling annual road death toll in Thailand.
The authorities don't give a shit about all those 34,000 odd deaths each year and the corrupt Thai Police only care about road safety to the extent that they can enrich themselves through on the spot fines that go straight into their corrupt little pockets. 
I read some time ago that Thai driving rules are based heavily on those that apply in the UK but, as others have observed, road rules only have a use if they mean anything at all to road users and if they are enforced. Neither of those things is going to happen in Thailand because 90 per cent of Thai drivers are ignorant morons who don't care about road safety and because Thai Police are corrupt and don't care either.
I deal with the many millions of morons driving on Thai roads simply by slowing down (not over 70 kph of smaller roads and not over 95 kph on highways). Simply doing this gives one time to evade the morons and to stay safe on roads that are deadly by any world standard.
I am a very different driver in Thailand to the driver that I was in Australia where it may not be legal to drive quickly but where that doesn't matter so much because roads are generally good and drivers are properly trained.

2 minutes ago, Weasel100 said:

The Thai authorities really just on't care about road safety. This is just another attempt to try to give the impression that the authorities wish to do something to reduce the appalling annual road death toll in Thailand.
The authorities don't give a shit about all those 34,000 odd deaths each year and the corrupt Thai Police only care about road safety to the extent that they can enrich themselves through on the spot fines that go straight into their corrupt little pockets. 
I read some time ago that Thai driving rules are based heavily on those that apply in the UK but, as others have observed, road rules only have a use if they mean anything at all to road users and if they are enforced. Neither of those things is going to happen in Thailand because 90 per cent of Thai drivers are ignorant morons who don't care about road safety and because Thai Police are corrupt and don't care either.
I deal with the many millions of morons driving on Thai roads simply by slowing down (not over 70 kph of smaller roads and not over 95 kph on highways). Simply doing this gives one time to evade the morons and to stay safe on roads that are deadly by any world standard.
I am a very different driver in Thailand to the driver that I was in Australia where it may not be legal to drive quickly but where that doesn't matter so much because roads are generally good and drivers are properly trained.

Drive below the speed limit in Oz and you'll get tailgated or abused by a "moron" who won't go round you. The Oz hoons make Thais look polite. Lived there, done that. 

Yes, I know what you mean. There are hoons in Australia of course but nothing even approaching the percentage of hoons if we want to call them that in Thailand.

1 minute ago, jgarbo said:

Drive below the speed limit in Oz and you'll get tailgated or abused by a "moron" who won't go round you. The Oz hoons make Thais look polite. Lived there, done that. 

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Well let's start at the beginning.

In Japan ALL roadusers drive the same direction on a lane...why is that too complicated for the Thai????? 

Thailand doesn't want to do anything the same way as everybody else. Thailand wants to be different, and special! If this involves a bit of a risk, so be it...

Ok, here we go. They look at all ways to reduce the road toll. The answer is so simple. Make the cops do their work. That would be a great start and save a lot of money talking garbage at these conferences All the top brass from the Thai police force would prob be at the conference(Have to be a big hall lots of them) to deflect any questions the Japs will ask about how the Thai Police force goes about enforcing the law on the road( Lots of blank looks there) and what improvements can  be made to lower the road toll otherwise the finger will be pointed at them to change their lazy habits. Maybe they would be better taking the Japanese police force and bring them over here and the Japs can have the Thai Police force. I am sure the Japanese car drivers need a bit humor in their life and they sure will get it with the RTP watching how they enforce the law. They will think all their Xmas come at once because there will be no enforcement

Just now, hobobo said:

Thailand doesn't want to do anything the same way as everybody else. Thailand wants to be different, and special! If this involves a bit of a risk, so be it...

Thailand will rule the world^^ thainess is the model to follow, the solution for humanity => no stress anymore, only today and now, loaded with amulets for bringing good fortune eventually

2 minutes ago, Zendo said:

Thailand will rule the world^^ thainess is the model to follow, the solution for humanity => no stress anymore, only today and now, loaded with amulets for bringing good fortune eventually

Have you been using Medical Marijuana again.

it's a little bit early in the day,  for all that. :giggle:

9 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

The annual road toll in Aust last year was 1100+-…...that is equal to about 2 weeks on Thai roads. Give me the Aust hoons anytime!

2 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Ok, here we go. They look at all ways to reduce the road toll. The answer is so simple. Make the cops do their work.

What are you talking about ?? they already doing their work, but that is not the same as you think it is.. they need to make incomes doing 'extras' like jewelery security, schools etc

They have never been engaged to work as road keepers, getting that job is an investement that you have to make profit from as much as possible and write all names on you small book for calculting the benefits and what you have left to pay to higher ranked officers.

Nothing will change, mai pen rai ^^ the world will collapse anyway, why don't enjoy while it last.. hey ?^^

Having worked in Japan for almost 20 years 80s-90s- I was amazed at how traffic flows well;  drivers courteous and safe-

-Japan does not use roadblocks at all- except occasionally for impaired drivers and normally announces this in advance. Thailand's use of continual road checks and blocking the highways is worthless and does nothing to reduce traffic carnage. It does increase traffic jams.

-Japan has real highway police dress in blue uniforms on high powered motorcycles that stop speeders and give tickets- no bribery-ever.

-Japan has a public relations campaign constantly via TV and Radio as well as signs along the road warning of speeding etc. There are always posted speed limits ad police often use radar to back up the limit.

-Japan does use cardboard cutouts of police and pics of police cars along the roadways- warning real police maybe near.

If Thailand would implement the above- in 20-30 years Thailand will have safe drivers and much less traffic deaths.

This news would be amusing if we did not know the truth of the matter. If driving here:

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. 

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway, and most will refuse to yield to faster traffic. 

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in wooden boxes. 

And wear the best helmet you can afford, if driving a bike.

And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee. 

The police only show up after the accident takes place. There is nothing in the way of traffic safety on the roads, or on the highways. The police are both incompetent and indifferent. A perfect storm. They are not law enforcement. They are revenue collection agents. Those traffic stops are all about weapons, drugs and handouts. Nothing to do with safety. I suppose there is no money in traffic safety. However, if they levied real fines for speeding over 120kph, for reckless driving, making severely quick lane changes, etc, there would be some money to be made, and the highways would be safer. 

Interesting try. But why look at Japan?

It could be so easy:

appropriate education of police

appropriate education of drivers

harsh punishment for corrupt police

strict fair and equal law enforcement

Without those measures included

copying the Japanese would not make any difference

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

It could be so easy:

"Farang" are all dreaming about improvements. No real improvements will take place while your butt points to the ground. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Credit where it is due for looking to Japan who are generally brilliant in their safety measures. I hope TH authorities can improve the roads, but I know it will be difficult. 

The Japanese are highly courteous and responsible drivers. Developing that in Thailand may require a big culture shift. 

Let's see what clown can pull this off.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Applying common sense, and applying proper punishments for offenders would be a great start. 

I don't really see the need to be looking to other country's methods, as the problems are mainly caused by the person behind the steering wheel, the majority of which here, have had no proper training in driving skills.

"Applying common sense",   How can you apply common sense if it is not there in the first place?

7 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

It could be so easy:

Yes So easy... it makes me think about a song.. that sounds like this :

"Imagine there's no idiots
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace, you

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one"

that's funny but in real life, here, leaders and officials have no interest in making things right, because it's already ALL RIGHT for them, money is flowing, family is secure and they have a lot of FUN while dreaming others dreams than yours like maybe thainess will rule the world :

“What do you want to do tonight?” 
“The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world.

pinky-and-the-brain-animaniacs-opening.g

4 hours ago, z42 said:

Well, seeing as they'll be without Japan's highly competent and highly diligent police force, and that the drivers on  the roads will still be Thai nationals driving akin to the criminally insane, I am not holding out much hope for this venture. Would give an easter egg a run for its money in the hollowness stakes, sigh

Maybe a good starting point would be to introduce some Japanese police experts to set up a traffic department staffed with properly trained officers. These officers should be mobile - not just setting up roadblocks - but actually patrolling Thailand's roads and stopping drivers who break the traffic laws.

I am sure that Japan would be very happy support such a project.

Something else that would help would be effective street lighting.  In Khon Kaen city it seems more than 30% of the street lighting does not work.  Another 30% seem to be installed for decoration and not to give effective illumination.

There are so many basic things that could be changed to improve road safety like maintaining the road markings which seem to disappear on new roads within a few months and are never replaced.  When new roads are built the white lines from the old roads need to be removed before applying new lines.  Of course that will only help if Thai drivers are taught to drive within lanes and not astride the lines. 

This is a little dated.  An Opinion piece from the Japan Times aptly titled:
Road safety requires enforcement

Hummm! ?  Doesn't that sound familiar?  It seems the Op in the article is questioning Japan's traffic enforcement in 2001 and pointing out that by November 2000 Japan had experienced a 8.5% increase in road accidents (837,480) YoY. 
However, Japan is to date experiencing a decrease in traffic related accidents, and it's fatality rate is one of the lowest in the world. ? 
How are they doing that?
It seems that the police are actually not only enforcing the laws now on dangerous driving, but they also actively are going after those who refuse to pay fines.  So from 2000 until today, Japan has reinvented it's traffic policing methods.
So what does that mean for Thailand?  Based on the press release it's hard to tell.  Other than saying they are adopting 'measures' used by Japan, they don't explicitly say what they are going to be doing differently.  Personally I'd be interested in what those 'measures' are specifically.  Until then - I'm skeptical primarily because Japanese and Thai cultures are vastly different.  There is a sense of 'courtesy' toward others in Japan that is completely absent in Thailand.  In Thailand, once a Thai is behind the veil of glass-tinted anonymity,  what comes to the surface is either a driver who lacks enough training to drive safely - or - a driver who is extremely aggressive - or worse, both.  So, what works in Japan isn't necessarily going to work in Thailand.  Combine that with a lack of traffic enforcement paired with meaningless fines and judicial enforcement that is still corrupted by 'brown envelop syndrome' and two-tiered justice (one for the rich and elites / one for the average citizen) - yeah, I don't see much changing near term.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/01/19/national/crime-legal/japans-national-police-agency-presses-stricter-crackdown-tailgating-dangerous-driving/

2 hours ago, wvavin said:

All Japanese have only one brain but they really know how to use it. Are Thais capable of doing this? .........LOL

Most Thai drivers and riders do not have the brains in the first place.

The Ministry of Transport has started to implement some of Japan's road safety measures in Thailand in an effort to reduce accidents.

Complete BS...

if Thailand initiated a training scheme as in Japan to acquire a driving licence of any type no-one but the very best would ever pass.

If Thailand marked all roads/crossings with lanes & instructions/information as in Japan no-one would follow them.

If Thai police do not enforce & convict road violations with a mind to educate and stop bad habits as apposed to a token fine & wai then nothing will change! 

This is just window dressing to show the general public that they seem to be doing something, but in truth the general public don't want change, they like & except the consequences of what happens now, including death on the road!!

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

They already do drive on the pavements - especially the motorbikes. A real health hazard!

They also ride through markets pumping their horn at you if you don't get out of the way. I even saw

a motorcyclist ride though  the bus station in Nakhon Sawan recently, yes, you read that right, the part where you buy your bus tickets.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK, 9th August 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport has started to implement some of Japan's road safety measures in Thailand in an effort to reduce accidents. 

But quickly backtracked after learning Japan uses those damned infernal roundabouts .. 

IMG_20180809_054932.jpg

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Arkhom said his ministry and related agencies have initially applied Japan's measures to address road accidents to four pilot routes in Suphan Buri, Phetchabun, Uttaradit, and Khon Kaen provinces.

And those measures are? More good work by the Thai journalists.

2 hours ago, saminoz said:

Spot on Z42.

The Thai mindset, lazy, corrupt, incompetent Police force and lack of care from the silly little general and his team of trough diggers will ensure that this effort achieves zero.

"his team of trough diggers'.   You mean the LT/Cols, and the Maj/Gens with their paid for ranks. :cheesy:

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Japans  rate 4.9 deaths per 100k , UK rate 2.9 per 100k, maybe they should  have looked a  bit harder, still better than 36  odd though...however it  may be  better to try with small goals  first and try and beat Rwanda at 32.1

Archived