Thai Transport Min applying Japan's road safety measures to reduce accidents

webfact

They know 100% they are doing wrong.
But they don't care as, no one else cares.
Cops, Government, Schools, Parents, Monks, and so on, and so on.
wash and rinse again, on same setting.

I disagree. All those cars who stay in the right hand lane on highways probably are not aware of the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Haha. I understand you. However, I wonder if they would be more inclined to listen to Asian outsiders as opposed to farang.

The Japanese will understand that in order to be successful, they will need to spend tremendous time and energy to convince the TH authorities that all the ideas were TH ideas thus saving TH authorities face. 

Farang are not keen on such childish wastes of time. 

Hmm,..one of the things I learned here is that Thais never listen to anybody !!! not to reason, not to common sense !!!

There is a lack of discipline at every level. They take shortcuts in everything !!!

They already have road rules like every other country!!! just have a look a couple of minutes on the road., and you will see a majority of drivers not respecting the basic rules !!! texting or telephoning while driving. not using turn indicators, not wearing a helmet while driving a motorbike,....overtaking left or right it's all the same to them. introducing Japanese road rules will be just the same to them.

13 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Please paint white lines on the roads to divide traffic flow.

If that is unable to occur then just give up.

Just got argument with a thai lady.. Her car was in the middle of the road, just on the white lane, small road that i wanted to take after turning from left on highway... Have to stop before entering the road.. The back of my vehicule still in the mainroad, super dangerous.. So i explained her that she should drive properly on her side of the road only and clearly that i want to not die today.. But she feels different and say that it is Thailand and she will never apologize or say she did wrong.. Then closes windows and start calling for help and recording video on the phone.. She surely shit on her pants.. But refuses to say she did wrong and insulted my wife Thainess at his best !!

5 minutes ago, Zendo said:

Just got argument with a thai lady.. Her car was in the middle of the road, just on the white lane, small road that i wanted to take after turning from left on highway... Have to stop before entering the road.. The back of my vehicule still in the mainroad, super dangerous.. So i explained her that she should drive properly on her side of the road only and clearly that i want to not die today.. But she feels different and say that it is Thailand and she will never apologize or say she did wrong.. Then closes windows and start calling for help and recording video on the phone.. She surely shit on her pants.. But refuses to say she did wrong and insulted my wife Thainess at his best !!

That's why I put give up.  It's a hope less life here to think things will improve. 

BTW. Avoid confrontation. It's not worth it.  Stay safe

1 minute ago, stud858 said:

That's why I put give up.  It's a hope less life here to think things will improve. 

BTW. Avoid confrontation. It's not worth it.  Stay safe

I know but its not easy to let stupidity and danger in freedom, instinct tells to do something..i'll stop when i'll be dead..and it might happen cause many have guns in their car

55 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

I disagree. All those cars who stay in the right hand lane on highways probably are not aware of the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nah.

Don't you think they are just being selfish pigs to everyone else.

Please don't make excuses for them.

They know full well,  what they should and should not do on the roads.

They just don't care.

In the last 7 days the following while driving in Thailand:

A.   Driving behind 2 motorcyclists- one had his foot on the other ones cycle- no helmets-

A short beep from me to let them know I was passing.  Next stop light one cyclist at my window screaming and yelling - could not understand as I refused to put down my window- raised a hand and smiled as if I had no idea. He pulls away and his friend on the other side used the F word and the middle finger.  What a wonderful example of Thai youth at its best.

B.  Driving in the right  to enable a right turn- a pickup comes very fast from behind- flashing lights and within a foot of my rear bumper- I was unable move over as cars on the left and  approaching a red light.   Once over in the right turn  lane- truck driver giving the evil eye. Paid no attention.

C.   Driving on a 2 lane road -  2 buses approaching  from behind side by side- racing- one passed on the left the other on the right. Complete insanity

It would take 2 generations to attempt to fix what is wrong on these highways.  What is so bothersome to me is the road rage that is out there.  I started driving in Thailand almost 50 years ago and until about 10 years ago never saw the rage. The carnage will continue.  

8 hours ago, masuk said:

However, that they are admitting to looking outside their borders for answers is a HUGE and unexpected improvement.

Don't think so. Imo it was a huge chance to make a nice little business trip.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Most Thai drivers and riders do not have the brains in the first place.

Like the big bellied, singlet wearing helmet less farang scooter riders commonly seen in Pattaya showing absolute disdain for road rules? Hint fellows..... ride on the left not the right hand side of the road. 

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

Like the big bellied, singlet wearing helmet less farang scooter riders commonly seen in Pattaya showing absolute disdain for road rules? Hint fellows..... ride on the left not the right hand side of the road. 

How right you are, but you forgot to mention shirtless.?

A few years ago they all had a jolly to London to see how traffic was managed there. The conclusion was :-

1. Most road users adhered to the Highway Code.

2. The Police enforced it.

I think there is little more to be said other than that is what ought to happen but to make the leap to Thailand is a leap to far.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

How right you are, but you forgot to mention shirtless.?

If and when traffic laws are enforced they will be the first to start squealing like little children. 

Actually I would expand that group to include all the righteous farangs.  Careful what you wish for.

To be honest I don't find driving in Thailand any more of a challenge than driving in rural Australia.  Here I look out for idiots,  there I look out for kangaroos, horses, pigs, cattle, emus etc etc that can suddenly appear on the road in front of you ( as well as idiots).

Keeps you on your toes at 100 kph at night with no street lighting.

If and when traffic laws are enforced they will be the first to start squealing like little children. 

Actually I would expand that group to include all the righteous farangs.  Careful what you wish for.

To be honest I don't find driving in Thailand any more of a challenge than driving in rural Australia.  Here I look out for idiots,  there I look out for kangaroos, horses, pigs, cattle, emus etc etc that can suddenly appear on the road in front of you ( as well as idiots).

Keeps you on your toes at 100 kph at night with no street lighting.

I never ride my bike at night, and you are right about drivers here though I have never been to Australia, the best country I have ever driven in is America.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I never ride my bike at night, and you are right about drivers here though I have never been to Australia, the best country I have ever driven in is America.

Agree about the US roads.  Roads and food are what the US does best. 

Hit I95 and just go! 

3 hours ago, leafmould said:

Deaths in Thailand are around 20000 a year, deaths in the uk are around 6000 ( similar sized population, road use etc) but was around 20000 a year up until the 70's, then short public information films were broadcast regularly during the advertisement breaks on tv. These were cartoons showing how to indicate and use roundabouts, correct lane procedures etc also advise for cyclists ( Augustus Windsock) and children (Charlie the cat). Of course cars and roads improved but I'm sure the level of driver abilities could only be improved by something similar in Thailand 

I've got to dispute your claim that current UK road deaths are "around 6,000" and that there were 20,000 UK road deaths annually until the 1970s. 

The attached 2013 House of Commons Library document (pages 4 & 5) records road deaths for many years from 1926 > 2012. Looking at the pre-70s records, nowhere can I see anything like 20,000 a year - 7,500 would seem a more reasonable figure around the '70s. The latest record for 2012 quotes about 1,700 deaths although it's also mentioned in other reports that UK road deaths have seen a 3% (ish) rise recently.

Public information films might help to make a difference but my own feeling is that they'd just be ignored, as are the videos that are shown by DLT to driving licence candidates in Thailand at present. Severe penalties and diligent, consistent and honest traffic policing seem to be the only things that might change the driving habits of the worst Thai and foreign drivers.

SN02198.pdf

All has to be done in Thailand- PR campaigns; fair and honest policing; improved highways; ticket penalties that hurt and no corruption. In addition, schools need a drivers ed program  to make sure all students understand the rules of the road.  All this , if done, may have an affect in 20-30 years.  Right now nothing is being done except police checkpoints that are a complete waste of time and manpower.

America had a huge death rate on its highways   in 1970- 26 deaths for every 100,000 population and last year it was 11 deaths per 100K.  What turned the trick was a very impactful P/R campaign using TV/Radio and Schools using graphic films showing death on the highway.I I can still remember the horrific films shown in High School Drivers Ed)   In addition- tickets for speeding went up to around an average of  $300 per ticket (10,000 Baht)and Driving while impaired is at least a night in jail- bail- court date- huge fines and loss of license plus your insurance rates go through the roof.

7 hours ago, Zendo said:

What are you talking about ?? they already doing their work, but that is not the same as you think it is.. they need to make incomes doing 'extras' like jewelery security, schools etc

They have never been engaged to work as road keepers, getting that job is an investement that you have to make profit from as much as possible and write all names on you small book for calculting the benefits and what you have left to pay to higher ranked officers.

Nothing will change, mai pen rai ^^ the world will collapse anyway, why don't enjoy while it last.. hey ?^^

lol lol lol 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK, 9th August 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport has started to implement some of Japan's road safety measures in Thailand in an effort to reduce accidents. 

Chang on their way to Japanese lessons to learn how to reduce accidents  .. 

IMG_20180809_060900.jpg

Top-and-tail-of-it is that you try to implement safety measures here but nothing can happen as long as the average local don't give a toss about any of it, it's a waste of time. Thailand is not short of laws, it's short of enforcement or there is only selective enforcement. Look no further than them trying to ban people in the backs of pickup trucks (sound safety idea) and look at the swift contemptuous reaction from the public. It seems to me that the Thai public is perfectly happy to accept the levels of danger on the roads and it being a free-for-all...as after all, it's just karma and the body is just a vessel for living in. There is little culture of safety here but a very healthy "I don't f%$&ing care" one...and that is on top of the idea of having a license and insurance is considered as optional or only for rich people. The problem is not the law, but it's enforcement and the apathetic and contemptuous attitudes of the locals towards such inconvenient things.

I find the really funny thing to be that Japanese and Thai people are polar opposites.

Japanese: polite to a fault, overly careful, mindful, trained, considerate, educated. Their cars safe. Mass transit everywhere. Could go on and on.

The Thai, well...

13 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Applying common sense, and applying proper punishments for offenders would be a great start. 

I don't really see the need to be looking to other country's methods, as the problems are mainly caused by the person behind the steering wheel, the majority of which here, have had no proper training in driving skills.

...and no sense for responsibility ?

13 hours ago, Thian said:

Well let's start at the beginning.

In Japan ALL roadusers drive the same direction on a lane...why is that too complicated for the Thai????? 

and they do not KEEP changing lanes unlike here....they are a pain in the arse always changing lanes !!

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

In the last 7 days the following while driving in Thailand:

A.   Driving behind 2 motorcyclists- one had his foot on the other ones cycle- no helmets-

A short beep from me to let them know I was passing.  Next stop light one cyclist at my window screaming and yelling - could not understand as I refused to put down my window- raised a hand and smiled as if I had no idea. He pulls away and his friend on the other side used the F word and the middle finger.  What a wonderful example of Thai youth at its best.

B.  Driving in the right  to enable a right turn- a pickup comes very fast from behind- flashing lights and within a foot of my rear bumper- I was unable move over as cars on the left and  approaching a red light.   Once over in the right turn  lane- truck driver giving the evil eye. Paid no attention.

C.   Driving on a 2 lane road -  2 buses approaching  from behind side by side- racing- one passed on the left the other on the right. Complete insanity

It would take 2 generations to attempt to fix what is wrong on these highways.  What is so bothersome to me is the road rage that is out there.  I started driving in Thailand almost 50 years ago and until about 10 years ago never saw the rage. The carnage will continue.  

You had all that in 7 days, you must live way out in the sticks. :giggle:

I had all that just going to Lotus at 8-30 in Jomtien this morning.

TIT,  The worlds most selfish, Dangerous Drivers / Riders in the world.

8 hours ago, hobobo said:

Thailand doesn't want to do anything the same way as everybody else. Thailand wants to be different, and special! If this involves a bit of a risk, so be it...

I wouldn't be surprised if soon the travel insurances start charging extra fee's for visitors to Thailand.

I already read this week that all the Brits got warnings for that from their government. And the Brits are even used to lefthand traffic, the mainland Europeans are not.

14 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Credit where it is due for looking to Japan who are generally brilliant in their safety measures. I hope TH authorities can improve the roads, but I know it will be difficult. 

The Japanese are highly courteous and responsible drivers. Developing that in Thailand may require a big culture shift. 

My good man they can look wherever they like for inspiration but we all know that until they take real action in THAILAND the slaughter will continue unabated

The first thing they need to do is get off their ignorant backsides 25,000 + deaths

Who do they think they are kidding

Archived