Thai Transport Min applying Japan's road safety measures to reduce accidents

webfact

Ministry of Transport applying Japan's road safety measures to reduce accidents

nkk.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 9th August 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport has started to implement some of Japan's road safety measures in Thailand in an effort to reduce accidents. 

The Transport Minister, Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, said the 7th Thailand-Japanese Joint Working Group meeting was held on Wednesday (Aug 8th) at Novotel Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport in Samut Prakan province.

The meeting discussed road safety measures in line with the memorandum of understanding (MOU) between Thailand's Ministry of Transport and Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. 

Mr. Arkhom said his ministry and related agencies have initially applied Japan's measures to address road accidents to four pilot routes in Suphan Buri, Phetchabun, Uttaradit, and Khon Kaen provinces. If successful, the measures will be expanded to eight additional pilot routes that are prone to road accidents. 

According to the report on the field trip to Japan, it was found that Japan had placed importance on measures related to public transports which focus on the standard of transports and equipment and the safety of drivers and passengers, and the Department of Land Transport has decided to apply them to the Thai public transport system.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-09

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, webfact said:

it was found that Japan had placed importance on measures related to public transports which focus on the standard of transports and equipment and the safety of drivers and passengers

Credit where it is due for looking to Japan who are generally brilliant in their safety measures. I hope TH authorities can improve the roads, but I know it will be difficult. 

The Japanese are highly courteous and responsible drivers. Developing that in Thailand may require a big culture shift. 

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

applying Japan's road safety measures

Applying common sense, and applying proper punishments for offenders would be a great start. 

I don't really see the need to be looking to other country's methods, as the problems are mainly caused by the person behind the steering wheel, the majority of which here, have had no proper training in driving skills.

Japanese road safety measures are likely a good thing. However, Thai drivers are not Japanese drivers.

The rules matter not a whit if no one follows them; unless there is steady, serious, consistent and fair law enforcement by the Thai police on the roads, it does not matter what the rules are.

And, by the way, who believes that there will be steady, serious, consistent and fair law enforcement by the Thai police on the roads?

Well, seeing as they'll be without Japan's highly competent and highly diligent police force, and that the drivers on  the roads will still be Thai nationals driving akin to the criminally insane, I am not holding out much hope for this venture. Would give an easter egg a run for its money in the hollowness stakes, sigh

31 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Japanese road safety measures are likely a good thing. However, Thai drivers are not Japanese drivers.

The rules matter not a whit if no one follows them; unless there is steady, serious, consistent and fair law enforcement by the Thai police on the roads, it does not matter what the rules are.

And, by the way, who believes that there will be steady, serious, consistent and fair law enforcement by the Thai police on the roads?

I have little to no confidence in them at all after observing over 30 years the inability of the country to sustain any serious undertaking that is difficult. 

However, that they are admitting to looking outside their borders for answers is a HUGE and unexpected improvement. 

8 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I have little to no confidence in them at all after observing over 30 years the inability of the country to sustain any serious undertaking that is difficult. 

However, that they are admitting to looking outside their borders for answers is a HUGE and unexpected improvement. 

That warrants a positive reaction from me.

1 minute ago, Aj Mick said:

So, just what are these Japanese road safety measures?

"... Japan ... focus on the standard of transports and equipment and the safety of drivers and passengers, and the Department of Land Transport has decided to apply them to the Thai public transport system."

I guess that vague bit is what they are doing? 

It all comes down to education in the first place. I recently got a Thai D/L. Outwith the eye and reaction test you have to listen to that one hour video on driving safely and correctly as you know. Obviously this is a complete joke but at least its something. Most of the people in room as soon as the DLT person left almost everyone was on their smart phones. Not paying any attention at all. They must be above road safety education. Know it all already.

36 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

"... Japan ... focus on the standard of transports and equipment and the safety of drivers and passengers, and the Department of Land Transport has decided to apply them to the Thai public transport system."

I guess that vague bit is what they are doing? 

Not as vague as Thai road traffic law reinforcement. 

And a very Big Yawn. :coffee1:

I predict an increase in road deaths next year. Yawn. :coffee1:

One more Dog and Pony show coming.. Yawn :coffee1:

Maybe when Thailand, calls bad Drivers / Riders bad people.

maybe it will be a start. but that would make people loose face.

Everything they do bad on the roads here is just excepted , as ok to do. so it's a non starter. :coffee1:

Thailand knows what the problems are but refuse to address them.         

Big Yawn. :coffee1:

Normal Somchai behaviour on the roads below.

but it won't be somchai's fault. Yawn :coffee1:

Capture.JPG

It'll never work here. 

The Japanese are a self-disciplined, law abiding people and the police are well-trained, professional and uphold the law. All these,and a few more,  characteristics are necessary for a country to tackle issues such as road safety. 

The Thais on the other hand are non of the above.  

It has taken me a few years, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that the road safety problems here will never be eradicated. You simply can't teach an old dog new tricks.

5 minutes ago, djayz said:

It'll never work here. 

The Japanese are a self-disciplined, law abiding people and the police are well-trained, professional and uphold the law. All these,and a few more,  characteristics are necessary for a country to tackle issues such as road safety. 

The Thais on the other hand are non of the above.  

It has taken me a few years, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that the road safety problems here will never be eradicated. You simply can't teach an old dog new tricks.

And on top of that: I know lots of Thai with a Western dog and also him won't do any tricks.....it won't even listen to it's name.?

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Or looking at it more cynically, is it "According to the report on the field trip to Japan", that some executives have produced a report to justify their holiday research there?

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Credit where it is due for looking to Japan who are generally brilliant in their safety measures. I hope TH authorities can improve the roads, but I know it will be difficult. 

The Japanese are highly courteous and responsible drivers. Developing that in Thailand may require a big culture shift. 

You ain't kiddin'

So the all-expenses paid holiday trip to Japan has resulted in a vague statement about how they will try to implement "something" here in thailand?

If i was a teacher of 10-year old kids who handed this in as an assigment i would ask them to redo it as there is no real content.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK, 9th August 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport has started to implement some of Japan's road safety measures in Thailand in an effort to reduce accidents. 

They are incapable of implementing the rules already in place, what hope is there that the police will comply with more from outside.......Snowball in hell syndrome. 

Joint working group committee's.........Simply another way of getting free foreign trips and lunches....plus expenses of course.....

There are plenty of things that could be done infrastructure-wise to cope with even Thai kamikazes eg safety barriers everywhere such as on turn-left spots where, currently, there is just a khlong which is hard to see in the dark. Plus more barriers down the middle of main highways so that idiots CAN'T cross into oncoming traffic even if they wanted to ...

Archived