UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

In all fairness, Nauseus posted a list. Mostly intangibles except that we would save the membership fees. This is true but I think the fees are modest

Fees are to join the club, the benefits outweigh the fees.

Concepts of sovereignty are quite simply false 

anything else is just schoolboy fairytales - as you say, nebulous and intangible largely based on vague concepts of xenophobia.

So still waiting for those real benefits ....not really as there aren't any........ 

This is the nightmare version of the US civil war.

Edited by kwilco

9 hours ago, tebee said:

As I've said before , the problem we have now is nobody knows how to "do" Brexit. We have 7 months to think of a plan, get everybody to agree, implement it , recruiting all the staff we need and build all the necessary infrastructure. It's not going to happen.

There is not even enough agreement to implement the transition period.

So the choice is going to come down to crashing out  with no deal or abandoning it.

No deal will cause chaos . Peoples jobs will be lost, business destroyed. If it comes down to a choice of honoring an advisory referendum or letting the country disintegrate into anarchy  which do you think the politicians will choose? Which do you think the politicians should choose?

Ending up in a chaotic brexit were people suffer will cause that party to be unelectable for a generation or more. I can't see any party choosing willful oblivion, though I can see the current shower letting it happen by inaction and paralysis. 

Surely anybody who wants Brexit can't want this chaotic mess as all it will do is strengthen the hand of those that want to rejoin. 

If it comes down to a choice of honoring an advisory referendum or letting the country disintegrate into anarchy  which do you think the politicians will choose? Which do you think the politicians should choose?

Sit down. Take a deep breath. Calm yourself. Read those sentences again. Now, do you really think anyone seriously believes what you wrote? That the country could "disintegrate into anarchy". ?!?!?

With the exception perhaps of remain extremists, nobody is going to take you seriously when you say something like that. It's just hyperbolic nonsense. Sorry but it is. You do your side of the argument no favours whatsoever. People just think, ok, here we go again; project fear.

Now, if it comes down to a choice for the politicians of honouring the referendum and the promise they made to let the people decide, or leaving the EU with no deal and inflicting a degree of economic hardship on the country, what do i think they will choose? Unless there is a very clear and obvious shift in public opinion, and by that i mean it would have to be VERY clear, not just a few polls suggesting the remain side making a few gains, i think they'll stand by their word to deliver what they promised, because to not do so, will have much more dire consequences for them politically and for the country democratically, than whatever damage is inflicted by a no deal exit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rixalex said:

If it comes down to a choice of honoring an advisory referendum or letting the country disintegrate into anarchy  which do you think the politicians will choose? Which do you think the politicians should choose?

Sit down. Take a deep breath. Calm yourself. Read those sentences again. Now, do you really think anyone seriously believes what you wrote? That the country could "disintegrate into anarchy". ?!?!?

With the exception perhaps of remain extremists, nobody is going to take you seriously when you say something like that. It's just hyperbolic nonsense. Sorry but it is. You do your side of the argument no favours whatsoever. People just think, ok, here we go again; project fear.

Now, if it comes down to a choice for the politicians of honouring the referendum and the promise they made to let the people decide, or leaving the EU with no deal and inflicting a degree of economic hardship on the country, what do i think they will choose? Unless there is a very clear and obvious shift in public opinion, and by that i mean it would have to be VERY clear, not just a few polls suggesting the remain side making a few gains, i think they'll stand by their word to deliver what they promised, because to not do so, will have much more dire consequences for them politically and for the country democratically, than whatever damage is inflicted by a no deal exit.

"If it comes down to a choice of honoring an advisory referendum or letting the country disintegrate into anarchy  which do you think the politicians will choose? Which do you think the politicians should choose?"

To put that in context, the term 'Project Fear' was an invention of the Leave Campaign.

The thought of all those old folk rampaging through the streets while the rest of the nation goes about earning the money to pat their pensions is terrifying. 

12 hours ago, vogie said:

Parliament voted for the right to have a referendum, the then foreign secretary said "the decision about our membership should be taken by the British people, not by Whitehall Beaurocrats, and certainly not by Brussel Eurocrats, not even by Government Ministers or Parliamenterians in this chamber."

Surely it can't be any simpler to explain, anybody disagreeing with that IMO is only doing so because they didn't get their own way. It is time to respect democracy.

The 'democracy' in action.

Boris Johnson has urged MPs to focus on dismantling the Chequers deal rather than ousting Theresa May, days after Brexiteers met to plot her downfall.

Around 50 Tory MPs spent nearly an hour devising ways to replace Ms May on Tuesday evening amid anger over the Chequers plan for Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-next-tory-leader-conservative-theresa-may-lord-heseltine-a8538461.html

15 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The 'democracy' in action.

Boris Johnson has urged MPs to focus on dismantling the Chequers deal rather than ousting Theresa May, days after Brexiteers met to plot her downfall.

Around 50 Tory MPs spent nearly an hour devising ways to replace Ms May on Tuesday evening amid anger over the Chequers plan for Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-next-tory-leader-conservative-theresa-may-lord-heseltine-a8538461.html

'too many cooks spoil the broth' - If too many people try to control, influence, or work on something, the final product will be worse as a result. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/too+many+cooks+spoil+the+broth

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

Fees are to join the club, the benefits outweigh the fees.

Concepts of sovereignty are quite simply false 

anything else is just schoolboy fairytales - as you say, nebulous and intangible largely based on vague concepts of xenophobia.

So still waiting for those real benefits ....not really as there aren't any........ 

This is the nightmare version of the US civil war.

I think it is wise to try and understand the opposing view point. Our membership fee of about 9 billion is, IMO, good value. However we do have a net trade deficit so the simple view is we are better off out. I of course disagree; the benefits  we get for <4% of GDP are well worth it.

4 hours ago, rixalex said:

So let's vote on the terms of the final deal! I think Theresa's deal will NOT get passed by Parliament and that should be the end of it. However, because of this mess, we should indeed have a referendum to ratify parliament's decision.

11 hours ago, aright said:

As opposed to the alternative facts......

No “alternative facts”. Or would you honestly claim that any brexiteer would be ok with the U.K. leaving the EU but agreeing in a deal to the four freedoms and accepting EU regulation?

11 hours ago, aright said:

The Remainer: Should we subvert the democratic will of the people there is no need to leave the EU if we effectively use hypocrisy, contradiction, contrariness and willful blindness. 

Most remainers probably would be ok with leaving the EU but entering into an agreement as the one mentioned above. So it’s really not the remainers “subvert the democratic will of the people”, it is Brexiteers trying to use one referendum to ruin the whole country. 

So let's vote on the terms of the final deal! I think Theresa's deal will NOT get passed by Parliament and that should be the end of it. However, because of this mess, we should indeed have a referendum to ratify parliament's decision.
Without getting into the debate of the need for another vote, nobody has yet explained to me how it's possible to have another vote without it completely undermining our negotiating position.

Now I appreciate that for remainers this is not something they give two hoots about since the last thing they want is the EU giving us a half decent deal, but for everybody else who respects the outcome of the referendum and wants to make the best of Brexit, having the EU able to call all the shots safe in the knowledge that they'll be a vote and we'll end up returning tails between our legs, that IS a massive problem.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Without getting into the debate of the need for another vote, nobody has yet explained to me how it's possible to have another vote without it completely undermining our negotiating position.

What “negotiation position” do you see undermined? The U.K. doesn’t have any bargaining power in this. The U.K. can only lose big times or super-big times. You still can’t see this even after 2 years? 

• Haha 1

What “negotiation position” do you see undermined? The U.K. doesn’t have any bargaining power in this. The U.K. can only lose big times or super-big times. You still can’t see this even after 2 years? 
No bargaining power at all?!

What an absurd thing to say. Remainers in general seem very big on self-loathing.

Just be done with it and go live in Brussels.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rixalex said:

No bargaining power at all?!

Oh wait, I forgot the bargaining power that exists in the phantasy world of the Brexiteers. The same world in which a Deal would be super easy and give the U.K. all the benefits plus more without any obligations and a 350mm per week for the NHS on top. Keep living in la-la land. 

21 minutes ago, aright said:

We pay a team to negotiate let them get on with it.

Nothing wrong with that, if they knew what they were trying to negotiate. The withdrawal agreement and trade are 2 separate issues, something the UK has refused to accept. The withdrawal agreement would have been done and dusted a long time ago in TM had not muddied the waters, so much for trained negotiators.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nothing wrong with that, if they knew what they were trying to negotiate. The withdrawal agreement and trade are 2 separate issues, something the UK has refused to accept. The withdrawal agreement would have been done and dusted a long time ago in TM had not muddied the waters, so much for trained negotiators.

Why do you think the UK has an obligation to accept anything the EU says...Recalcitrance  shows we are independent and won't be bullied (very important in negotiations) and what's wrong with muddying the waters as a purposeful, confusing negotiating ploy. Negotiations aren't a friendly chat.   I can't speak for the current situation...I don't know in specific terms what they are trying to negotiate and  can only speak from personal experience but would be surprised if it was greatly different  inside the negotiating panel and the responsible body they report to.  My panel would  have received firstly Trade Union "demands for consideration" and   "negotiation guidelines for comment" followed later by instructions on goal management   process and performance goals. None of this info would have been shared with anyone outside the panel, the body they report to and the CEO.The last thing Management or the TU wanted was Chinese Whispers in the factory...….they are not productive.

I do accept however ,because of human nature, the general public like to have their 5 cents in the general debate.....I do it myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aright said:

Why do you think the UK has an obligation to accept anything the EU says...Recalcitrance  shows we are independent and won't be bullied (very important in negotiations) and what's wrong with muddying the waters as a purposeful, confusing negotiating ploy. Negotiations aren't a friendly chat.   I can't speak for the current situation...

Likewise EU doesn't have to accept anything what UK says.. I suppose UK is desperately trying to find the Achilles heel of EU. So for, what we have seen, it haven't. I don't think it will.

Naturally UK is fully independent on these negotiations, after all it's they who sit on the other side of the table. 

This is however an attempt to find out a solution for future co-operation, together. Negotiations might not be a friendly chat, but no no means negotiations are time to burn the bridges.. or collapse the tunnel in this case.

3 hours ago, rixalex said:

Now I appreciate that for remainers this is not something they give two hoots about since the last thing they want is the EU giving us a half decent deal, but for everybody else who respects the outcome of the referendum and wants to make the best of Brexit, having the EU able to call all the shots safe in the knowledge that they'll be a vote and we'll end up returning tails between our legs, that IS a massive problem.

Our negotiating position??? It's in tatters man.

Look here's what I would do 

Leave the EU but stay in CU and SM. This would require some legal quick step but you get the point. It's the Common Market Light.

Brussels wasn't built in a day, do it in stages. Look at this first move as foreplay. If it turns out to be the main course, so be it.

Personally, I prefer to remain and lead reorganisation from within. But, if you want a compromise, this is it.

May can resign 

change the remaining links piecemeal over coming years.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Eh? How can you determine a separation without knowing the general framework of the separation?

Divorce and then remarry the first woman again

(I'm not an idiot, I didn't do it a third time)

It was about sovereignty by the way....still unclear about the advantages or disadvantages 

Nobody mentions opportunity loss

With the USA being a loose cannon, it seems to me that The City is well placed to continue to be the financial power centre of the EU. Why break it? They should at least develop a petro-Euro for Persia.

Our negotiating position??? It's in tatters man.

Look here's what I would do 

Leave the EU but stay in CU and SM. This would require some legal quick step but you get the point. It's the Common Market Light.

Brussels wasn't built in a day, do it in stages. Look at this first move as foreplay. If it turns out to be the main course, so be it.

Personally, I prefer to remain and lead reorganisation from within. But, if you want a compromise, this is it.

May can resign 

change the remaining links piecemeal over coming years.
The only response you can muster to the problem of how another vote doesn't cut the legs off our negotiators, is that the negotiation is in tatters so who cares.

In other words, you have no idea. Just like every other remainer before you on this thread.

• Like 2