UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

9 hours ago, vogie said:

There you go again being weak and confused, do you think that leavers are bothered about what you want.

No I don't and that is one of the key issues. Brexiteers do not care about others' views. They seem to believe a majority 28 months ago gives them carte Blanche. 

36 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I have no idea what some Brexiteers here are banging on about a lot of the time but there it is.

Oh come on now don't be wan????, don't tell me you are not an avid fan of P Morgan, you have used him in the past to make a point. You'll be telling me next that you don't follow him on twitter and you are not up at crack of dawn chirping away together.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

No I don't and that is one of the key issues. Brexiteers do not care about others' views. They seem to believe a majority 28 months ago gives them carte Blanche. 

Like you care for the brexiters views.

So are you saying if I won the Nat Lottery 28 months ago it should be voided, because if I picked them same numbers today they would probably not come out as the winning numbers again.

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Like you care for the brexiters views.

So are you saying if I won the Nat Lottery 28 months ago it should be voided, because if I picked them same numbers today they would probably not come out as the winning numbers again.

Actually, I do care about others' views and that is why I am happy to compromise. For example I do want restrictions pin immigration because we are overcrowded. However, I am pro European and anti muslim as you know.

I think Brexit is far more complex and important to be compared to a lottery. If you feel getting a majority in the referendum was like winning the lottery you confirm the worst fears of people like me.

Scenarios proposed so far:

????????

???????? minus

????????

????????

???????? plus plus

????????

????????

????????

????????

????????

???? Any of the above with extras

???? Max fac

⏱️ Transition

⛔️ No transition

???? Bespoke

???? No deal

Which of these options exactly is the "will of the people"?

14 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Prof Patrick Minford schools the idiots in Parliament about the EU and trade

Regarding the UK car industry he is talking about moving away from EU protectionism and into more free trade

But that  is not the only  vision of the Minford and the right wing Brexiters...

Minford’s specific vision is to unilaterally lower tariff barriers across the board.

Think high-ground, low ground: That would put us down a tariff well...

i.e. all countries could pour down goods to us tariff-free. But our producers see high tariff walls all around them.

The effect of this is that we do indeed reduce costs for our consumers in the short-term.

But where do the consumers get the £ to buy the products? Either by selling products/services at home or abroad.

If both of those are out-competed, they have no £ to buy anything with.

They would happily run down industries associated with our basic security (food, manufacturing) - and make us a consumer nation that trades on high-tech and services (industries that are, incidentally, pro- Single Market)

So Brexit’s guru Minford would shaft the industries that voted for Brexit...

... and put his faith for Brexit Britain in the industries that are most strongly opposed to Brexit.

And that, in a nutshell, is Brexit for you.

I have to disagree with you completely there.

The UK and France declared war on Germany because they invaded Poland and the 2 powers had signed a pact to do so. Finland OTOH actually fought on the side of Germany against Russia before finally changing sides in 1944 to join with the Russians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Finland_during_World_War_II#Lapland_War

If you had listened to Nigel Farage he was certainly not abusing heroism by grandfathers but pointing out the realities of what happened then. I doubt that Nigel Farage is a coward even though you do.

I also served the UK for 25 years from 1960 until 1984. By the time Nigel Farage was eligible for military service at the earliest in 1984 the UK forces had drastically slimmed down and required far less people so he chose a different career.

How many of your EU heroes such as Juncker, Tusk et al have ever served in the military?

Can’t stand Juncker myself but you are being a tad unfair questioning Tusk not doing military service since it was hardly a viable option for him in Poland given his opposition to communism, involvement with Solidarity and being imprisoned under General Jaruzelski.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

51 minutes ago, rixalex said:

I already answered the question. Another referendum doesn't scare me. I simply want Brexit to be given the best chance of being successful, and for that to happen, it's imperative that our negotiators strike the best possible deal with the EU. The EU knowing that there is a referendum coming up in which the British public can vote to remain, incentivizes them to give the worst deal possible, knowing the likely outcome will be the British public voting to remain and Britain therefore returning to the EU cap in hand.

Having a referendum in which remain is an option is not at all the same as parliament ratifying the deal, because a failure for the deal to be ratified by parliament does not necessarily lead to a reversing of the 2016 result in the way that a referendum vote to remain would.

Spot on. The belligerent cannot see this, unfortunately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rixalex said:

I already answered the question. Another referendum doesn't scare me. I simply want Brexit to be given the best chance of being successful, and for that to happen, it's imperative that our negotiators strike the best possible deal with the EU. The EU knowing that there is a referendum coming up in which the British public can vote to remain, incentivizes them to give the worst deal possible, knowing the likely outcome will be the British public voting to remain and Britain therefore returning to the EU cap in hand.

Having a referendum in which remain is an option is not at all the same as parliament ratifying the deal, because a failure for the deal to be ratified by parliament does not necessarily lead to a reversing of the 2016 result in the way that a referendum vote to remain would.

In effect then you are making the claim that the Remainers are to blame for the failure to strike a deal that the electorate and Parliament deems acceptable.  

It was clear early on that the most satisfactory deal was not available.  There is a very limited scope for negotiation anyway.  However, there are some attractive options such as EFTA that could have proved do-able had the Government applied its efforts effectively instead of pursuing a hard deal.

In my opinion, by far the biggest problem is the undue influence of the right wingers in the Tory Party, together with the Government's poor performance, although to some extent this may be mitigated by the former.

The biggest shame in all this is that when one examines the case for Brexit, as presented reasonably, then one can see that Leave has justifiable cause for alarm over the EU, though in my opinion the Leave cause fails when we consider economic strategy- 2/10 on this. Sadly, reasonable argument fell by the wayside mainly because of the misinformation perpetrated by the hard right, which started in the referendum and continues to this day.

38 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

'You're doing that Brexiters thing of reinventing history again' 

Woooaaah, hang on now. That's quite an indictment coming from the remain/project fear Europhile camp. Especially considering some of the pseudo-historical codswallop that's already been called out by myself and 'bill d' just a few comments back.

Are you suggesting Major and his pro-EU cohorts hadn't been plotting Maggie's demise long before the disastrous poll tax policy?

Her distaste for Maastricht, the EU project in general and the catastrophe of ERM are just as important to her downfall it could be argued, via opposition and subsequent mutiny within the Tory party.

Oh come on, this is Conservative party we are talking about, the number of Knives in the back make the Roman Senate look like a kids playground. Everybody is always plotting against everybody else.

And remember, not long before, Maggie had been very pro-Europe - the Single market was her idea.

It was the poll tax that killed her politically though, without it other factions would never have had the power to overthrow her. 

I don't know what Brexit will do to the current Conservative party, I suspect it won't survive in it's present form. It has certainly lost it's appeal as the sensible party of buisness.

• Like 2

Just now, tebee said:

Oh come on, this is Conservative party we are talking about, the number of Knives in the back make the Roman Senate look like a kids playground. Everybody is always plotting against everybody else.

And remember, not long before, Maggie had been very pro-Europe - the Single market was her idea.

It was the poll tax that killed her politically though, without it other factions would never have had the power to overthrow her. 

I don't know what Brexit will do to the current Conservative party, I suspect it won't survive in it's present form. It has certainly lost it's appeal as the sensible party of buisness.

'It has certainly lost it's appeal as the sensible party of buisness.'

Absolutely. And this is astonishing really.

9 minutes ago, rixalex said:

I'm making the claim that if another referendum is called in which there is an option to remain, it will cut the legs from beneath our already rather hopeless negotiators. It would guarantee the EU offer us a bad deal. Obviously this suits remainers as not only do they get a second shot at winning a vote they lost, it means there is no chance of Britain getting a good deal, so even if Brexit does happen in spite of their efforts to prevent it, they'll get the satisfaction of saying, "see, i told you so".

The EU will surely already be aware of the fragility of the Government, and it's somewhat tentative mandate.

The deal imagined was never on the cards.  The plan adopted by the Government is not popular- full stop.

Brexit will fail, in the short term at least, because the EU wants it to.

Poor strategy- start to finish.  In it's dithering, stalling, and filibustering the Government allowed the Brexit wagon to fall in to disrepair.

Edited by mommysboy

4 hours ago, vogie said:

If you care what other people think ie, people that don't share the same values as you, sometimes you and many of your peers have a funny way of showing it. I would suggest name calling and insults hardly makes that person or persons empathetic, infact can create hostility.

Again you are putting words into my mouth, I never said that getting a majority in the referendum was like winning the Lottery, but you already knew that, didn't you.

I am very pro European and not too keen on the Muslim culture, but being pro European don't mean I want them running our country. There is a vast difference in being pro European and anti EU in my honest opinion anyway.

I guess some people are more sensitive than others. I have moderated my tone over the last year.

I have no wish to insult anyone personally

I do feel that Brexit is idiotic from any rational angle. If you feel that comment insults you then I am sorry but that is my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rixalex said:

I'm making the claim that if another referendum is called in which there is an option to remain, it will cut the legs from beneath our already rather hopeless negotiators. It would guarantee the EU offer us a bad deal. Obviously this suits remainers as not only do they get a second shot at winning a vote they lost, it means there is no chance of Britain getting a good deal, so even if Brexit does happen in spite of their efforts to prevent it, they'll get the satisfaction of saying, "see, i told you so".

The EU can already offer us any deal it wants - they know the gov is desperate to avoid no deal. 

Our negotiators are useless and half of them seem to have no idea how the EU works.

Any good deal we  get will only be through the EUs generosity, not our negotiators prowess  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The EU will surely already be aware of the fragility of the Government, and it's somewhat tentative mandate.

The deal imagined was never on the cards.  The plan adopted by the Government is not popular- full stop.

Brexit will fail, in the short term at least, because the EU wants it to.

Poor strategy- start to finish.  In it's dithering, stalling, and filibustering the Government allowed the Brexit wagon to fall in to disrepair.

Some points i agree with there but none really related to the question that was asked, that i was addressing.

1 hour ago, tebee said:

You're doing that Brexiters thing of reinventing history again.

Poll tax introduced in April 1990 .

Wildly unpopular, riots in the streets, people refuse to pay in droves.

Conservative lead over Labour collapses.

Tories realize they need to get rid of poll tax to be re-elected, can't do with her as PM, get rid of her in November 1990.

The abolition of the poll tax was announced on 21 March 1991. Vat raised in meantime to allow reduction of poll tax bills

There were European issues but they were not what killed Thatchers support.

I remember the poll tax problems. But as far as the Tories were concerned the problem her swing against the European Community. Howe did not resign, then get his dagger out over the poll tax, it was because of the ERM and Europe.

• Like 1