UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

Another project fear story bites the dust...

Unilever scraps Dutch relocation plan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45756738

Unilever always denied that the relocation plan had anything to do with Brexit. This is actually mentioned in the link. But yeah, brexiteers and facts.....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

"Unilever always denied that the relocation plan had anything to do with Brexit."

That didn't stop all the Remainers using the original relocation story as ammunition.

#doublestandards

They are at least consistent....... perhaps you should include the following hashtag...

#ProjectFear

• Haha 1

'But significant shareholder resistance highlights the power of London's capital markets and the cachet of its leading index. Global shareholders like global companies listed on a global index.

A significant number of Unilever shareholders are saying that means staying in London - that does have post-Brexit significance'.

Cherry picking and avoiding evidence has always been a specialty of Remoaners. [emoji6]

I am neither cherry picking nor avoiding evidence just stating that the Unilever relocation plan was not because of Brexit. Fact.
And I am not a ‘remoaner’, not even a remainer. If the UK wants to leave the EU, fine. Interesting economic experiment, but wise?, Nah....

11 hours ago, tebee said:

Yes - Spain could block it if we don't make concessions on Gibraltar for instance.  

Once the UK leaves the EU the restraints I.e. that members must respect each others borders will no longer apply,they will just close the border whenever they want, I suppose the UK could send their new aircraft carrier in and then the EU would have to retaliate by closing their borders to the UK a  brexiteers wet dream.

Agreed. Up to now share holders in the UK have been supine but they weren't prepared to see Unilever move out of the UK and out of the FTSE100. This is a real bloody nose day for Unilever and a victory for shareholder democracy. Sorry, didn't mean to offend any Remainers by mentioning the word "democracy"

Guess we can now wait for the next hostile takeover bid. Relocation to the Netherlands would have given better protection.
Pyrrhic victory?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adammike said:

Once the UK leaves the EU the restraints I.e. that members must respect each others borders will no longer apply,they will just close the border whenever they want, I suppose the UK could send their new aircraft carrier in and then the EU would have to retaliate by closing their borders to the UK a  brexiteers wet dream.

The apes will hurl rocks down on the Dons and beat them back!

30 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

OMG, with Brexit the UK not only lost their good deal within the EU but they lost their good sense of humor as well......

Well, not really. The Brits have not lost their humour. 

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Advised before not a single positive reason to quit...but.....

43074536_10156883353882386_5575181520907272192_n.jpg

Yes, this guy says a lot of weird stuff. I don't think his critical thinking is up to scratch.

http://iaindale.blogspot.com/2009/01/when-david-lammy-should-have-known.html

Edited by nauseus
added critical thinking link
  • Haha 1

Brexiteers continually harp on about the EU being undemocratic yet a region in Belgium brought CETA to a halt.

Will Scotland or Wales have the same say in the UK deal?

And without the agreement of all regional parliaments, Belgium’s national government cannot give its consent to CETA at the EU level.

https://theconversation.com/who-are-the-walloons-and-why-are-they-blocking-europes-free-trade-deal-with-canada-67718

• Like 1

For those that think a Canada deal would be straightforward, even the EU have not got it sorted yet.

When Wallonia finally agreed to CETA, the Belgian national government announced it would ask the EU Court of Justice for an opinion on whether the ICS respects the EU Treaties before Belgium would finally validate CETA.

The case is currently pending and will be decided in the next few months.

http://theconversation.com/the-uncertain-future-of-the-canadian-european-trade-deal-100228

Question submitted to the Court

Is Chapter Eight (‘Investments’), Section F (‘Resolution of investment disputes between investors and states’) of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement between Canada, of the one part, and the European Union and its Member States, of the other part, signed in Brussels on 30 October 2016, compatible with the Treaties, including with fundamental rights?

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=196185&pageIndex=0&doclang=en&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=909639

13 hours ago, aright said:

Agreed. Up to now share holders in the UK have been supine but they weren't prepared to see Unilever move out of the UK and out of the FTSE100. This is a real bloody nose day for Unilever and a victory for shareholder democracy. Sorry, didn't mean to offend any Remainers by mentioning the word "democracy"

That is absolute garbage, It was nothing to do with the shareholders per se.

Some of the UK pension providers are required under their regulations to invest a certain amount of their fund in the FTSE 100 which in many cases would have included Unilever. 

If Unilever had move their London HQ then they would have lost their FTSE 100 listing and the pension providers would have had to sell their holdings. Large blocks being sold at the same time invariably brings the share price down, something Unilever decided to avoid.

• Thanks 1

Something else to chew on.

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) will next month consider whether Brexit can be halted if MPs want it to be.

On Friday the ECJ confirmed the case, brought by a group of Remain-supporting campaigners had, had been “granted the fast-track procedure” after a Scottish court said the issue was “urgent”.

It comes after the Court of Session in Edinburgh said it was referring the question of whether the UK is able to unilaterally withdraw its Article 50 letter – sent in March 2017 – to Luxembourg.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-european-court-justice-article-50-backtrack-jolyon-maugham-a8571206.html

On 9/30/2018 at 5:54 PM, tebee said:

Yes but you are still missing my point - all remainers voted to stay in the SM as did a number of leavers - otherwise there would never have been any talk of a soft brexit.

Therefore there may have been a majority vote to leave the EU , but there was almost certainly NOT a majority vote to Leave the SM - that was this government's choice post-referendum. 

So if you say the majority vote to leave the EU must be honoured why can I not say that the majority vote to stay in the SM should be also honoured.

Taking the majority of a majority option is not democracy which should respect all viewpoints - that way lies years or turmoil and dissent. 

Only compromise will heal the country in the long term.

Tebee, I was not missing your point, I was not even thinking of your point, but making my own point!!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is absolute garbage, It was nothing to do with the shareholders per se.

Some of the UK pension providers are required under their regulations to invest a certain amount of their fund in the FTSE 100 which in many cases would have included Unilever. 

If Unilever had move their London HQ then they would have lost their FTSE 100 listing and the pension providers would have had to sell their holdings. Large blocks being sold at the same time invariably brings the share price down, something Unilever decided to avoid.

UK pension providers should change their rules to allow Unilever move it's London HQ to mainland Europe. - I'm just thinking like a real Brexiteer. 

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why should they change the rules just for the EU when the EU won't change its rules for Brexit?

Actually you are thinking like a Remainer which is what you are, or would be if you were British.

I was just pointing out how silly the demands for EU to change its rules, because one exiting member, really are.