UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I clutching at democracy.

The problem we have is that a majority of our politicians do not have the fortitude to act according to what they really believe. A people's vote now would mean that they need not fear going against there constituents. They could chuck Brexit which is clearly the best decision for parliament to take

Clearly! Oh wait...where's me specs?

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Grouse said:

A second opinion from the people after two years of enlightenment will allow weak MPs to do what they believe is the correct thing already - bury Brexit

Something like survival of the unfittest?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"However, the referendum was not binding, regardless of any verbal assurances. I can post the original act if like?"

And yet the govt. told the electorate that they would 'enact the referendum result' (or words to that effect).

I'm sure another poster can post the relevant part of the govt.'s leaflet - send to every household - if you like?

Seems a bit pointless though, as we've had this discussion on the forum many times already....

Apart from the fact that the referendum was not legally binding you have to remember that no government can dictate what a future government must do. DC gave the assurance in the belief that he would still be in charge after the referendum, a bit presumptious wouldn't you say.

TM is solely responsible for the action that has been taken and as I have said before she allows criminals the benefit of beyond reasonable doubt, but it would appear that benefit is not extended to the country as a whole.

1 hour ago, aright said:

Can you identify what rules allowed me to vote for Martin Selmayr and the rule which allows me to get rid of him. because I can't find them. You obviously know them since you feel the Union and the Commission were democratically elected.

Do the voting patterns of the last 2 years show that the electorate are satisfied with the undemocratic response to their needs? . 

Your elected govt took place in the process.

Just as in a general election you vote for a party, you do not vote ministers, prime minister, speaker of the house of commons, under secretaries...

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

There was no reason for cameron not to believe that he would still be in charge after the referendum - as politicians are so out of touch with the electorate, that they didn't even consider that 'leave' vote might win the referendum!

Hence the lack of any plan in the event of a leave vote - and no preparation even after the vote as the govt. preferred to rely on being able to get away with a 'leave in name only' agreement....  (IMO)

And at the moment, it appears they are still pursuing this path - but have 'cottoned on' that the electorate don't agree, and may punish them at the next GE.

Wouldn't disagree with most of that, apart from the last bit. At this point in time I don't think that the electorate comes into it, those that may punish are sat at the same table.

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

She has been on the ropes for months,  Just trying all manner of things to fix up directorships once she resigns from the Tory party, hopefully soon, just like her buddy  David Cameron did.

and who would possibly want the job? BJ is clown and more interested in shagging than sorting out the mess he helped create,a blind man on a galloping horse can see whats coming,JC and his comrades,and ya think brexit is going to be bad wait till he destroys whats left of the UK

• Like 1

But a soft Brexit is not Brexit. David Cameron said before the the referendum that it meant leaving the single market, everybody was well informed no matter what remainers believe was said.
Really? Care to provide a link showing Cameron saying that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

For some more surrealism in the Brexit negotiations:

On Twitter, Katya Adler (BBC) reported:

Anyone wondering why - after so many months of #Brexit talks - the Irish border issue hasn’t yet been settled should consider that - according EU sources - the Irish backstop was not discussed in negotiations by U.K. request between Dec and the end of the Tory party conference

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:
For some more surrealism in the Brexit negotiations:

On Twitter, Katya Adler (BBC) reported:

Anyone wondering why - after so many months of #Brexit talks - the Irish border issue hasn’t yet been settled should consider that - according EU sources - the Irish backstop was not discussed in negotiations by U.K. request between Dec and the end of the Tory party conference

she has added a correction since that statement

EU CORRECTIONS coming in on Irish backstop discussions: the issue was debated but not advanced in #Brexit negotiations between Dec and end of Tory Party Conference

2 hours ago, vogie said:

David Davis has been spoken to about taking over as interim PM if TM doesn't change tack, but he said he won't do it on a temporary basis.

nobody wants it the tories know they have little chance of winning the next GE,I give you JC 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aright said:

Because of the fuss of the margin of the first referendum I am agreeable as many Remainers have said after the last vote, it is fair that it must be at least an equal or greater than a 65%:35% split whatever the outcome.

No, the EU referendum was advisory and not binding so a super majority is not required

If a second referendum delivers a majority in favour of remaining then that will enable our weak MPs to can Brexit. For good.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

To be fair, uk and eu politicians have turned it into a farce.

UK MPs are desperately try to 'leave in name only' (IMO), without losing their seats at the next election - and of course, the eu is worried that other countries may follow suit.

To look on the bright side, the eu knows that other countries are also unhappy with various aspects of the eu - and making it clear via elections.  So perhaps they may finally think about genuine change ????.

But I'm not holding my breath on that one....

I agree your view of the politicians

I also think the EU will now allow restrictions on free movement of people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"I believe that this would result in a majority in favour of remaining."

Why on earth would you believe that - bearing in mind the LibDems (or whatever they are called nowadays) were the only party to support this POV at the last GE - and lost, badly?

"Super majority is not required."

A bit odd as (IIRC) one of your gripes was that a super majority should have been required for the first referendum?

Good points.

I think the Lib Dems failed to gain traction because our ridiculous FPTP system means that unless the two main parties are tied, then a Lib Dem vote is wasted.

I do believe that there is a substantial majority of people who on balance would prefer to remain

I have changed my position on referendums after research. The referendum was indeed advisory and not legally binding. A super majority is therefore unnecessary as parliament can ignore the result