UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Absolutely nothing to do with "preferred targets". You have to be registered with YouGov and you get paid to do it, not a lot, takes me about 2 years to get £50.

Before you say anything I am not commenting on the validity of said polls.

£50 that should stack up well with the 30 pieces of silver, or should that be euros?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

A good friend of mine works for the Daily Mail and it is true that with the new man in place they are taking a much softer approach to May and the Brexit issue.  As you can imagine there are some at the paper who are very upset by this change of direction and some (like my friend) who welcome it.

Tis good sport to read the apoplectic gammon comments on the articles now - Mark Steel as ever is fun in the Independent,

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-deal-plan-theresa-may-withdrawal-agreement-cabinet-resignations-dominic-raab-a8634916.html

But nothing would satisfy the Brexit people; we could sign a deal in which we were allowed to classify the EU as a fish, and whack each EU country with a mallet on the deck of a boat, and they’d still scream it was a betrayal. The Coalition of the Fuming and the Seething would issue a statement saying “We have studied the proposed agreement and I’m SICK OF IT, we’ve been BETRAYED by EVERYONE, by EUROPE and ALL THESE OTHER THINGS and it’s not ENGLAND anymore and the road’s being dug up AGAIN and my DAUGHTER’S married a bleeding ACUPUNCTURIST what sort of a job is THAT?”

• Like 1

Sign of things to come?

The EU-Canada Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) provides for the free movement of goods, persons and capital to various degrees and its depth and breadth remain to be seen, as a high profile next generation WTO plus Agreement. CETA may well become a model for future mega regionals, for reasons of its new model and scope.

The EU has been highly explicit - even triumphalist - that all Canadian imports will have to satisfy EU rules and regulations on technical rules, product safety, food and safety, health and safety, GMOs and this puts the future of its regulatory cooperation chapter (in ch. 21) into sharp perspective.

http://www.europeanpapers.eu/en/europeanforum/ceta-and-global-governance-law-what-kind-of-model-agreement-is-it-really-in-law

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You may have noticed over the last few months, that the Daily Express has gradually become less and less pro Brexit. Could this possible have anything to do with the new owners, Trinity Mirror. Who surprisingly support remain.

Amazing what money can buy, including an open and unbiased media.

Twas ever thus....back to normal ...as the hymn says all thing's bright and beautiful....

The rich man in his castle, The poor man at his gate, God made them, high or lowly, And ordered their estate

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Have you got a link on these 4 MPs as to how they are cashing in on the chaos, or are you speculating Alex?

Farage played GBP on the night of the referendum, conceding he had lost the good fight, when he knew through privately purchased polling that Leave had one. Why? He wanted GBP to be as high as possible to make the short more profitable. You can bet that Rees Mogg's investment business will be positioning for a no deal Brexit ... and he wants no deal to get away from proposed EU rules on tax havens ... another self serving politician. The other two clowns are benefiting from the support they get from 100,000 old reactionary Tory members ... they are positioning for political office ... Johnson being the main culprit, gaining a great deal of money writing for the brexit supporting Telegraph. None of them serve the nation's interest, only their own.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vogie said:

I think the remainers and their friends are getting very desperate when they have to make things up.

i would bet 40% to 50% of the tory leave brigade will have some form of financial benefit from a hard/harder brexit.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And still no link to support your claims or should we called it Fake News

its an educated guess which will have a good chance of being true just a case of how much personal gain was to come their way once they got their way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aright said:

I can feel the glee in the lines of many Remainers when they comment on the predicament the country finds itself in, regarding it as a battle won. They gloat over Mrs May's dilemma and yet logically they should feel as betrayed as the Leavers. They seem to prefer to take pleasure that we (the Leavers) haven't got what we wanted even though they haven't got what they wanted either. 

By definition Brexiteers can't get want they wanted any more than a flat-earther could.

The glee is in the satisfaction of a point made.

It's that warm "told you so" feeling.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Or you could say its an educated guess which will have a good chance of not being true 

or as i called it out Fake News 

We've been lectured to by Leavers, over the previous 574 pages, that politicians are only in it for themselves. When it is suggested that four leading Brexit supporting politicians might be in it for themselves, it is suddenly 'fake news'. Make your mind up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Looks like the 28% is the winner - it's got my vote. 

Maybe we should just look at what we are going to achieve with Brexit and the options now open to us.

May's negotiated deal, no deal and all the disruption that brings, or scrapping Brexit altogether if that is the best result in the end.  All the posturing and political point scoring and personal gain should be put aside.  Brexit shouldn't be a political football but that is how it has ended up.  It is all about politicians and their ambitions with the people on the side lines cheering or booing but powerless to decide their own future.

• Like 1