UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

20 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

That is not what you asked for. You were referring to the Alistair Burt comment, and complaining I had no link ... even though I told you where to find it.

As for the 4 MPs, I already answered that ... go back and find it. 

There is no way I will go back looking for conjecture. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rixalex said:

The British people didn't get us into any mess. They were just given a binary choice and made the decision the way they did.

It's all on the politicians who have messed things up, by taking a half hearted, let's-hope-we-can-figure-a-way-out-of-actually-going-through-with-this approach, starting by appointing a leader who was a remainer. Since then it's been 10% of the Commons genuinely trying to row towards exiting the EU, with the other 85% doing a lot of flapping about pretending to try to enact the will of the people, but blatantly doing the opposite. The final 5% are the likes of the Soubrys who have actively and openly being trying to stop it. With all that movement against it, is it any wonder Brexit is in the state it's in?

And you blame it on the people, and think the people should vote again?! For what purpose? You've already stated the technical nonsense about the referendum being advisory. Why not just be done with it and say that staying in the EU comes before democracy. Then we can forget about the 2016 referendum, we can forget about having another, in case it doesn't go your way again, and we can just get on with the country being run by the people who think they know best. Who really needs elections after all.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

General Prayuth would agree with you in making the People Happy Again.

12 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Burt's position is well known - nothing new about it. You as a remainer will undoubtedy take his position. 

At the moment Corbyn is the leader of the Labour party, not McDonnell or Momentum. He has repeatedly said there will not be a 2nd referendum, as has May. Last week he also ruled out revoking A50, again, as I posted here. By the way, McDonnell and Momentum have been singing the same song for a long time, not just for the last few days. Official Labour and Tory policy is no second referendum, and honouring the referendum result. And it's worth pointing out that Labour are not the governing party, and Tories will never ally with Labour in meaningful numbers over this.

By the way, I am not a leaver or a remainer. I'm just someone who supports democracy. We had a referendum, the terms of which were accepted by everyone.

I read a broad cross-section of the Brexit press, representing all major viewpoints, and I post many links here from reliable sources. My posts are ovewhelmingly aimed at providing information, not speculation. Have a good evening.

Well we will soon see how good your grasp of this is. No deal will never get through Parliament. And Corbyn does not have the whip hand over his MPs, he rebelled against his government’s position many times as an MP. He won’t stop them. 

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

60% Of Italians Think EU Is Bad For Italy

As the 27 EU members who aren't the UK brace for the inevitable fallout for what increasingly looks to be a bumpy Brexit, one shocking poll revealed that 60% of Italians feel that their country has been mistreated by the European Union. If accurate, that's several percentage points higher than the percentage of Britons who voted to leave the EU back in 2016.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-16/shocking-poll-shows-60-italians-think-eu-bad-italy

Greece thought the same thing, but didn’t leave.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I know now that I was conned back in 1975 and I have known for a few years but it wasn't until 2016 that I was given the opportunity to reverse my vote, which I did.

A classic case of two wrongs not making a right.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Greece thought the same thing, but didn’t leave.

The people of Greece were not ask in a vote to Remain or Leave the EU

Brexit: Governments have ignored referendums about the EU before

From Ireland to Greece, countries have decided to completely ignore the ‘will of the people’, asked them to think again or think about something only slightly different

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-ignore-lisbon-treaty-nice-treaty-ireland-greece-france-netherlands-a7105261.html

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

60% Of Italians Think EU Is Bad For Italy

As the 27 EU members who aren't the UK brace for the inevitable fallout for what increasingly looks to be a bumpy Brexit, one shocking poll revealed that 60% of Italians feel that their country has been mistreated by the European Union. If accurate, that's several percentage points higher than the percentage of Britons who voted to leave the EU back in 2016.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-16/shocking-poll-shows-60-italians-think-eu-bad-italy

many will say its bad in a poll,voting on the day when reality sinks in,is a different matter altogether,how anyone with half a brain would want the mess the UK is in beggars belief,even tho Italy has less jobs to lose as its not a major financial centre and isnt reliant on japanese/german car factories and doesnt have an Irish nuisance.they would have a chance of leaving and going OK,the UK has no hope

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If thats the case I can see no reason why people campaigning wouldn't support a 2nd referendum using a super majority such as 80/20 and that only allows 2 options on the voting paper  

The unpalatable truth is the Brexit supporters are terrified at the prospect of a second referendum, and for good reason. It will only happen, in my view, if the country is staring at a “no deal” scenario. If May’s deal, or some other deal, is accepted by the UK and EU it will not arise. But if it does arise it will be a mirror of the last one, with no super majority. 

• Haha 1

Brexiteers are notoriously bad at history... even recent..... or just good at ignoring it??

Also some still seem to think they all voted for the same Brexit or the one in the referendum s

Anyway, here's a list of remarks that Brexit leaders have come up with over the last couple of years........ how things have changed!!!!

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit-deal-lates-quotes-liam-fox-theresa-may-nigel-farage-eu-michael-gove-8636801?fbclid=IwAR1zY5htFtWjxF-30Q0mX0HW6bcAOibqavqnDhQz_5otkEUh3nPbyOi5V10

Just now, AlexRich said:

The unpalatable truth is the Brexit supporters are terrified at the prospect of a second referendum, and for good reason. It will only happen, in my view, if the country is staring at a “no deal” scenario. If May’s deal, or some other deal, is accepted by the UK and EU it will not arise. But if it does arise it will be a mirror of the last one, with no super majority. 

But we all know the remainers were unhappy with the last referendum complaints about this this and this so going forward any new referendum should be legally binding,  only 2 options on the voting paper, super majority such as 80%/20%  of the total number of  electoral votes if remainers can't accept any of the above it would appear its them that are terrified at the prospect of a 2nd referendum on this basis , I sure most leave voters would accept such a referendum on the above basis so why not remainers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, damascase said:

What absolute nonsense! Member States do not need the EU’s approval and can organize a vote any day of the week. Keep spreading the lies, guys!

There nothing stopping the EU passing a law that states " Because we want to be seen as a democratic organization we require all member countries to have a remain in the eu/ leave the eu vote every 5 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

There nothing stopping the EU passing a law that states " Because we want to be seen as a democratic organization we require all member countries to have a remain in the eu/ leave the eu vote every 5 years

Why stop with the EU? How about the UK , the US or any country with minorities that might want independence.

What could go wrong with that?