UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Remind me again, in a widespread taxi problem who was it that picked on drivers from a particular part of Europe.

His point was that the people in question were UK residents, not some transient riff-raff from the EU.

I think he was just having a go at Sheffield taxi drivers.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, adammike said:

The 17m represents roughly 25% of the population and they are dying off guesstimates up to 1m? already gone,by the time Brexit pans out in a couple of years another 2m gone that 17m will be down to say 13m doesn't look good for your longed for revolution,plus the useless Jeremy will be history and with the Tory party  disintegrating and splitting the right vote it will be wide open for the left to fill the vacuum.Careful what you wish for.

Certainly some logic in there.  I think after Brexit there will be room for a middle ground party who can cherry pick their policies from the left and the right.  Whether anyone has the stomach to have a go is another matter.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, adammike said:

The 17m represents roughly 25% of the population and they are dying off guesstimates up to 1m? already gone,by the time Brexit pans out in a couple of years another 2m gone that 17m will be down to say 13m doesn't look good for your longed for revolution,plus the useless Jeremy will be history and with the Tory party  disintegrating and splitting the right vote it will be wide open for the left to fill the vacuum.Careful what you wish for.

I wouldn't be surprised if the remainers died off in similar

numbers, quite upsetting to think of really, he he.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

On the radio there was a discussion that some leavers are inserting clauses in their wills giving instructions on how their beneficiaries should vote in any future Referendums over the next 30 years

you know

the hysteria in UK around Brexit, past two years and still

all the wild stories in msm

actually hard to ascertain if you tell a joke or the truth

29 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Out of interest, regarding your calculations/speculations, all the young people who support the EU, do you foresee that their political opinions on this are going to remain completely static for their entire lives? That seems to be what you are counting on. It seems somewhat unlikely that a young person is not going to undergo some sort of a political shift as they get older, and that that shift might mean a change in stance on the EU, do you not think? Or is the EU just so darn awesome that there's a lifetime of loving to be had for us all?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Did you see JRM and DD the other day with four even older white males in their press conference that they called to explain where the 48 letters were? I get what you mean "if you are not a communist at 18 there is something wrong with you and if you still a communist at 28 there is something wrong with you" but they won't have the EU to blame for all the ills that plague England! as they age.It's a hard one to call but I think remain will prevail. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, adammike said:

Did you see JRM and DD the other day with four even older white males in their press conference that they called to explain where the 48 letters were? I get what you mean "if you are not a communist at 18 there is something wrong with you and if you still a communist at 28 there is something wrong with you" but they won't have the EU to blame for all the ills that plague England! as they age.It's a hard one to call but I think remain will prevail. 

right

but where are the 48? according to jrm and dd

1 hour ago, rixalex said:

Out of interest, regarding your calculations/speculations, all the young people who support the EU, do you foresee that their political opinions on this are going to remain completely static for their entire lives? That seems to be what you are counting on. It seems somewhat unlikely that a young person is not going to undergo some sort of a political shift as they get older, and that that shift might mean a change in stance on the EU, do you not think? Or is the EU just so darn awesome that there's a lifetime of loving to be had for us all?

I know this post is directed at adammike but if I can chip in.  Most young people take an anti-establishment view, it is part of our rebellious nature and yes, over time peoples views change, usually based on what career path they choose.  That works both ways of course.  The way we view the EU in years to come is impossible to call so we make our judgements on what is in front of us today.  Inevitably the EU will radically change in time just as the whole world will.  China and India will have a significant effect on the world's economic structure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

right

but where are the 48? according to jrm and dd

I had to run out the room when I saw them,it was not a good look, combined age of 485 and DD looked ragged.I think they blamed the EU and remainers and something about Grouse.

• Haha 1

I know this post is directed at adammike but if I can chip in.  Most young people take an anti-establishment view, it is part of our rebellious nature and yes, over time peoples views change, usually based on what career path they choose.  That works both ways of course.  The way we view the EU in years to come is impossible to call so we make our judgements on what is in front of us today.  Inevitably the EU will radically change in time just as the whole world will.  China and India will have a significant effect on the world's economic structure
Yes I completely agree. It's impossible to predict how future generations will think and vote. That's why I question those confidently making predictions about numbers of certain voters dying off and numbers of new voters who are deemed certain to vote another way. It's all very simplistic in what is a very complex matter.

17 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Very true. Much of that change in attitude is to do with the gaining of experience and with it the realities of life. Those just setting off in life do not posses an understanding of either.Unfortunately some people will try and take advantage of this fact, example the SNP in 2014, and now I beleive some remoaners are also suggesting that in addition to having another referendum, children at the age of 16 should also be included.

1FE17FA4-821F-4F52-8BFB-E7A48DDE1C3F.png

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Quite true. That must be why I, and millions of other Brits were unable to travel around Europe before The E.u came into being. ????

As tourists, yes, we could visit many what are now EU member states without a visa; but not all. I visited Hungary as a tourist before they joined the EU and a visa required.

But before we joined, if a Brit wanted to retire, study or work in what is now an EU member state, other than the RoI, then the appropriate visa was required. Unless the UK agrees to remain governed by the Freedom of Movement directive, then this will be the situation post Brexit.

As EU immigration was a major reason many voted Leave, staying in the FoM directive is highly unlikely as it would be political suicide for whichever government agreed to it.

41 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Regarding E.u citizens,I was speaking with a Scottish gentleman ( yes they do exist) yesterday, married to a Lithuania, who entered the U.K before the advent of the E.u. Seemingly no problem for her,as she is highly educated.

She would have needed to follow the family settlement route under the UK's immigration rules; as all non EU nationals in that position have always had to do if they want to live in the UK with their British partner (unless Surinder Singh applies and they can use the FoM directive) and, probably, EU nationals will have to do post Brexit. Plus, of course, post Brexit the Surinder Singh route will probably no longer be an option for Brits and their non EEA national partners; unless we remain in the FoM directive.

Edited by 7by7

off topic comment:

re TM & non confidence within her party or in parliament

couple of hours ago the largest part in Norway filed/moved a non confidence motion re the current

conservative coalition government

(the government has been skating on thin ice since the summer holidays)

we'll see

the current government is very UK friendly re the future for UKers in Norway after Brexit

possible new government will not be unfriendly - but will not be ass licking

52 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As tourists, yes, we could visit many what are now EU member states without a visa; but not all. I visited Hungary as a tourist before they joined the EU and a visa required.

But before we joined, if a Brit wanted to retire, study or work in what is now an EU member state, other than the RoI, then the appropriate visa was required. Unless the UK agrees to remain governed by the Freedom of Movement directive, then this will be the situation post Brexit.

As EU immigration was a major reason many voted Leave, staying in the FoM directive is highly unlikely as it would be political suicide for whichever government agreed to it.

She would have needed to follow the family settlement route under the UK's immigration rules; as all non EU nationals in that position have always had to do if they want to live in the UK with their British partner (unless Surinder Singh applies and they can use the FoM directive) and, probably, EU nationals will have to do post Brexit. Plus, of course, post Brexit the Surinder Singh route will probably no longer be an option for Brits and their non EEA national partners; unless we remain in the FoM directive.

post brexit, nobody knows

now, pre brexit:

Surinder Singh is OK and can be used by Brits taking a Thai wife to France (hello tebee)

but can not be used by Brits taking a Thai wife to UK

at least, that is my understanding

but can be used by a Swede to  take a Thai wife into UK

Edited by melvinmelvin

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

On the radio there was a discussion that some leavers are inserting clauses in their wills giving instructions on how their beneficiaries should vote in any future Referendums over the next 30 years

I doubt the wills are worth the effort of writing; If they were they would not be voting Brexit!

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

give owa man

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

off topic comment:

re TM & non confidence within her party or in parliament

couple of hours ago the largest part in Norway filed/moved a non confidence motion re the current

conservative coalition government

(the government has been skating on thin ice since the summer holidays)

we'll see

the current government is very UK friendly re the future for UKers in Norway after Brexit

possible new government will not be unfriendly - but will not be ass licking

I would hazard a guess that there are more Norwegians in the UK than UKers in Norway so getting tough on them will not go down well.

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I doubt the wills are worth the effort of writing; If they were they would not be voting Brexit!

My niece voted to leave and took my 95yo mums proxy vote with her,she is suitably ashamed and embarrassed and we will make sure she only gets her own vote in the upcoming election/referendum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1