UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, rixalex said:

Still waiting...

To answer your stawman argument.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/here-are-10-tory-u-turns-since-the-election-was-called

https://taxfoundation.org/uk-abandons-structural-tax-reform/

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-36684452

https://www.accountancydaily.co/treasury-abandons-plan-abolish-class-2-nics

The list goes on.

Now let’s have you present a legal or constitutional argument why the government may not abandon Brexit ( that doing so would upset you is already known, so skip that bit).

1 hour ago, rixalex said:

Why will it be too late to rejoin the EU once we have left?

Where did I mention the EU or brexit.

I have to assume that if you made an offer on a house and the survey revealed a significant structural fault, you would not reconsider your decision and just implement the purchase regardless. Of course having bought it you can always try and resell it.

Circumstances change and a sensible entity will reconsider decisions affected by said change, of course the leavers would have us believe that people were as well informed before the vote as they are now, nothings changed.

Toshiba recognised their problems and baled out, time the government reconsidered their position with brexit.

Plans for a new nuclear power station in Cumbria have been scrapped after the Japanese conglomerate Toshiba announced it was winding up the UK unit behind the project.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/08/toshiba-uk-nuclear-power-plant-project-nu-gen-cumbria

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

I agree with you 100%.

When I first came here in 1993 the rates are as the link below.

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1993&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=31&MM2=12&YYYY2=1993&btnOK=Go!

The average over the year was 38.045 but who cares about facts on the Remainer forum?

The Asian financial crisis of 1997 effectively revalued the Thai economy, any revaluation creates a new start point.

It would be like saying if the price of beer before decimalisation was 10 pence and it was 10 pence after, then the price never went up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I think your posts would be much improved if you didn't feel the need to use derogatory tones.

Why do you feel the need to use expressions like "doh", does it make you feel superior to other posters?

‘Doh’ as in a glaringly obvious problem with point of argument to which I responded.

If you don’t like ‘Doh’ make points of argument that are not so glaringly flawed.

33 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The PM is a remainer.

That reply and others like it is pure "dead cat strategy" straight out of the Boris Johnson play book (copyright Suzanne Moore today's guardian) we won't let you blame the Brexit cluster f!#k on anybody but the Tory's and the brexiteers including TM.You own it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

""We have to live with this the longest time," says Matilda. "But nobody asked us." She was 15 years old when a narrow majority of her compatriots voted to try their luck outside of the European Union. Several members of Matilda's family voted for Brexit. But "not everybody understood what they were voting for," she says."

A 15 year old is sure she understands the issues involved better than those with a different opinion ????.

Edit - To be fair, all teenagers are convinced they know far better than the older generations - it's what being a teenager is all about ????.

Let’s not ever have you complain about others being patronising in their comments.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adammike said:

You talk nonsense, Brexit is down to the people who voted leave,even you should be able to get your round that simple fact.

The current Brexit mes is down to the politicians who encouraged people to vote leave, by promising the imposable.

Sadly people believe them and some still do - it's much easier to blame others than change your mind.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

The title of an early Genesis album springs to mind ('Selling England by the Pound'):

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-tell-eu-it-will-no-longer-seek-access-to-secure-aspects-of-galileo

Seems I'm not alone:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46407249

Yes, particularly the track "More Fool Me" ... dedicated to Brexiters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, vogie said:

I think you are confusing it with a dictatorship.????

No, that happens when you vote once and can never change your mind ... Hitler was voted into power, then all opposition were eliminated. Same with Putin. 

A second vote is a democratic act, and it's the only act that can stop Brexit should people in the UK decide that is what they want. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rixalex said:

They key aspect which you omit to mention is the part in which democratic decisions get implemented first and then overturned. What you desire is for a democratic decision to be overturned before it has been implemented. If this is happening all the time, as you allege, please cite some examples.

Did it not also happen in Ireland (EU matter)?

Edited by AlexRich

6 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Everyone who voted LEAVE knew that there would be short term " turbulance " in leaving a massively corrupt organisation which imo is but a " front " for the elite financial globalists.
I still await an answer from any remoaner as to which country the following represent...Soros, Blair, A Campbell, the reps of Citibank, Rothchilds; Goldman Sachs etc.
Why do the above have access to the powers that be in the eu hq in Brussels???
Do you honestly believe that any of the above give a second's thought about the Man/Woman on the street in the UK!!!???
Please remember who crashed the pound sterling back in 1991 and reportably made a massive fortune by doing so. Soros.
People like him are but scum imo..they worship and have respect only for money..just a pity that money cannot give you good health or true happiness.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You do know there was a US hedge fund billionaire, Robert Mercer, behind Cambridge Analytica, who were heavily involved in influencing the Leave vote?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

No, that happens when you vote once and can never change your mind ... Hitler was voted into power, then all opposition were eliminated. Same with Putin. 

A second vote is a democratic act, and it's the only act that can stop Brexit should people in the UK decide that is what they want. 

parliament does not need a 2nd referendum to stop Brexit, if they so wish

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

""We have to live with this the longest time," says Matilda. "But nobody asked us." She was 15 years old when a narrow majority of her compatriots voted to try their luck outside of the European Union. Several members of Matilda's family voted for Brexit. But "not everybody understood what they were voting for," she says."

A 15 year old is sure she understands the issues involved better than those with a different opinion ????.

Edit - To be fair, all teenagers are convinced they know far better than the older generations - it's what being a teenager is all about ????.

Like all those teenagers who protested about the Vietnam war? 

I suspect they've rumbled that a bunch of old people have saddled them with even more economic stress in the future, which is easy for them to do as they will not be affected by it, and completely screwed up any of the opportunities that free movement opens up to them. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

Like all those teenagers who protested about the Vietnam war? 

I suspect they've rumbled that a bunch of old people have saddled them with even more economic stress in the future, which is easy for them to do as they will not be affected by it, and completely screwed up any of the opportunities that free movement opens up to them. 

Virtual raspberry!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

No one is denying your right to appeal, but to overturn a democratically mandated decision is in direct contradiction of the majority's wishes - therefore, by definition - antidemocratic. It's that simple.

And look, be serious, we haven't even left yet! Premature doomsday diagnoses are the specialty of those who didn't get their own way - aka: the establishment & the Remoan crowd. Simply playground tactics writ large. It's as blatant as the noses on your faces, and we can all see through it I'm afraid.

You might not have much choice, as it looks like parliament is going to blow up the Brexit dream ... with a second referendum. If parliament abandoned Brexit it would be undemocratic, but of the people of this country vote again it is most certainly democratic. Now they know what the deal looks like, they are better informed. I sense much fear amongst leavers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The Asian financial crisis of 1997 effectively revalued the Thai economy, any revaluation creates a new start point.

It would be like saying if the price of beer before decimalisation was 10 pence and it was 10 pence after, then the price never went up.

A bit like Harold Wilson said on 19 November 1967 

"But on 19 November, he went on radio and television to reassure consumers that devaluation “does not mean, of course, that the pound here in Britain, in your pocket or purse, or in your bank, has been devalued”. It didn’t take an economist, however, to tell you that that was nonsense."

• Like 1