UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I half agree with you there, I'm afraid to say. I would contest that no-one has the willingness, or has at least accepted the reality that - we will suffer somewhat in the short term. I think it is fair to say, a decent amount of people who voted Leave are on that page. A restructured economy is well within the bounds of possibility in time, leaving is the catalyst to necessitate this prerequisite to our success, but again it will take time, as something of this nature always does. A shared vision and strong leadership is where we fail miserably, at this moment, at least.

Free trade deal or not, the UK is simply to vitally important a market to the EU, so that has never worried me as much as it has many. I agree with you that we need to galvanise and join together moving forward and what we need most to enact this much needed positive and pragmatic change is strong leadership, which we definitely don't have....right now. You have to hope that this will change, of course. 

not sure that "market to the EU" is a useful term, you should probably look at individual EU countries - rather than the block

post hard Brexit - the relevant countries in EU may start to look for other grounds where they can dump their wares

if EU ---> UK is perceived as too cumbersome

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Brexiters will be delighted to learn that the French PM has instructed his Ministers to prepare for a no-deal exit of UK from the EU. They will take this as proof of a conspiracy ...

For the rest of us, it merely shows a major EU government preparing itself and its people sensibly for what is an increasingly likely outcome over the next few months, the exact repercussions of which are difficult to predict in micro-detail.

Good if we can stop this endless speculation and do-nothing. It's time to move forward. 

No-deal brexit is probably the worst possible outcome, but at least it's an outcome and end of stagnation. 

6 minutes ago, tebee said:

Would it not be sensible to pause and reflect about where we want to go before commiting to an irrevocable cause of action ? 

More pausing and reflecting? I think we've had enough shilly-shallying to last a lifetime already. Time for someone to just take the bull by the horns and get on with it. I'm sure business people, if not everyone else, would appreciate some certainty one way or the other.

And what's irrevocable about it? It's not like the EU have shown themselves as being unreasonable, petty-minded or difficult is it? I'm sure they'll let us back in with open and welcoming arms if we should later want to return.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

post hard Brexit - the relevant countries in EU may start to look for other grounds where they can dump their wares

if EU ---> UK is perceived as too cumbersome

Bit of a harsh comment, you are implying that everyone dumps rather than sells. But you are right and I suspect that many companies have already taken steps to identify alternative markets.

Nobody with a choice is going to want to go back to customs declarations, choices are a bit limited in the UK.

26 minutes ago, tebee said:

What I find most frightening about the prospect of a no deal brexit is both the lack of preparation for it on our side  and the lack of any coherent vision of what a post-no deal brexit Britain should look like.

WTO trade is not a policy, it is accepting being put into the worst possible position and trying to manage from there.  All visions and promises of the sun-lit uplands have evaporated and now it's about managing the self-induced crisis so it's not armagedon or the end of the world.  

There is no leadership on either side and no vision of where we are going. No plan on how we restructure the economy or how we help those businesses who find the principles they had built their plans on disappearing from under their feet.    

Would it not be sensible to pause and reflect about where we want to go before commiting to an irrevocable cause of action ? 

I think most people felt the deal was going to be exit and free trade deal. I must admit that was the impression I got.  I think many of our MPs thought as much too. There is a monumental Aesop's fable here!  The little boy who made promises he couldn't keep?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Fair enough, semantics I'd say, but ok. UK is unquestionably a very important market to France, Italy and particularly Germany, which, to all intents and purposes is interchangeable with the previously stated acronym anyway and we all know it. The UK is their largest market for a number of goods as we well know.

Are you really surmising that German industry / manufacturing would crash out of their biggest market in the world because the nation has left the single market / customs union? I think not, and they have already made noises to the same end, themselves.

The relevant tariff barriers will obviously be overcome, despite what any so called 'expert', often totally removed from the situation, might say. There is simply too much trade at stake, and that in the end is what will do the talking. It is not necessary anywhere else in the world to be part of a customs union, trade bloc or political union to do good reciprocal business, as is evident. No deal to my mind, is not a big issue, provided we have people in power who are willing and able to make our new status in the world work and have a proper understanding of business, the ins and outs of the real world and how it works. Career politicians aren't ideal candidates IMO.  ?

“Are you really surmising that German industry / manufacturing would crash out of their biggest market in the world because the nation has left the single market / customs union?“

That’s a very strange question coming from someone supporting Brexit that amounts to the UK ditching membership of the huge market and opportunities within the EU on the basis of lies and the wistful hopes of suddenly being able to find new markets and new trade deals to replace what’s being thrown away.

Brexit is nothing less than the willful Vandalism of the UK economy and the UK’s international standing.

The suggestion that those who do not support this vandalism should join it is ludicrous.

If you voted for Brexit, you own it and the mess it was always going to become.

Please excuse those of us who want no part of it.

1 minute ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Laughable. 'Pooled sovereignty', right, sounds excellent, seems to be working ever so well too. 

No one in the UK (or other EU member states) ever voted for this 'pooled sovereignty' nonsense, along with a great many other things. They would pushed on us, slowly and insidiously from Brussels. Democracy writ large once again, I guess!?

Examples of ‘unpooled sovereignty’ can be seen in Theresa May sucking up to Trump, U-Turning when the Chinese tell her too and UK ministers groveling to the world’s thugs in search of anyone that will give the UK any trade on whatever terms.

6 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

'm still of the opinion that we don't need to be inside a bloc/union like the EU to have a voice or make better decisions and become more productive etc. etc. I believe, looking at all the signs, that the EU will fragment and collapse in the near future anyway, so remaining part of it for economic reasons, let's say, is not justifiable - with the fundamental arguments for leaving, as I see them, set aside.

Brexit has actually united people to protect our EU much more than we did before.

Now we see more value in EU, than we saw before. That's good.

Now the next steps is to 'steal' the production UK had for the EU internal markets. Starting from financial services, continuing to Japanese car production in UK etc. 

We should soon see the major shift of economics and power from UK towards EU countries. Yes, both sides need to see hard brexit as an opportunity as well.

6 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Brexit has actually united people to protect our EU much more than we did before.

Now we see more value in EU, than we saw before. That's good.

Now the next steps is to 'steal' the production UK had for the EU internal markets. Starting from financial services, continuing to Japanese car production in UK etc. 

We should soon see the major shift of economics and power from UK towards EU countries. Yes, both sides need to see hard brexit as an opportunity as well.

If and when it all falls about your ears I hope you'll still retain your good humour. Good luck to you though. Machiavelli would be proud! ? 

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

If and when it all falls about your ears I hope you'll still retain your good humour. Good luck to you though. Machiavelli would be proud! ? 

Are you saying it would be unethical to compete of our own markets with foreign nation?

I don't think so. 

Independent and proud UK will be able to make its decisions and likewise EU will have the final say of it's internal markets. We both just need to adapt to the new reality.

53 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I think most people felt the deal was going to be exit and free trade deal. I must admit that was the impression I got.  I think many of our MPs thought as much too. There is a monumental Aesop's fable here!  The little boy who made promises he couldn't keep?  

I don't see any sign of a deal that would be acceptable to anywhere near half the Conservative party, let alone the country as a whole or the EU who we are supposed to be negotiating with after all. 

We either drop out with no deal, kick the can down the road some more or abandon the whole idea. Problem is none of those is acceptable to a large part of the parties involved. 

May's deal is dead - do you see any others hiding in the corners?

boYmuYc.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/10/2018 at 6:55 AM, Bluespunk said:

Ha ha ha, love the brexiteers claiming the result of a democratic vote, means you can never have another vote on the issue. 

Why would you deny the people a vote on what brexit ultimately looks like?

For the same reason that you don't keep on having elections until Hillery wins because Bernie and Hillery supporters don't like Trump.  Same concept.  That makes the election process a total farce.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

Do you ever read the European press, rather than the garbage spouted by the UK rags - their view of the EU and Brexit is rather different.

I don't read much of either... Which 'British rags' are you referencing, so impartially, I wonder?

I'm sure the European press would have a very different opinion, of course! I make an effort to get my information from less biased sources whenever possible, best to eschew the vast majority of MSM, continental or British, most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Fair enough, semantics I'd say, but ok. UK is unquestionably a very important market to France, Italy and particularly Germany, which, to all intents and purposes is interchangeable with the previously stated acronym anyway and we all know it. The UK is their largest market for a number of goods as we well know.

Are you really surmising that German industry / manufacturing would crash out of their biggest market in the world because the nation has left the single market / customs union? I think not, and they have already made noises to the same end, themselves.

The relevant tariff barriers will obviously be overcome, despite what any so called 'expert', often totally removed from the situation, might say. There is simply too much trade at stake, and that in the end is what will do the talking. It is not necessary anywhere else in the world to be part of a customs union, trade bloc or political union to do good reciprocal business, as is evident. No deal to my mind, is not a big issue, provided we have people in power who are willing and able to make our new status in the world work and have a proper understanding of business, the ins and outs of the real world and how it works. Career politicians aren't ideal candidates IMO.  ?

no, I do not surmise that read again

I just say, don't make it much more cumbersome for them to continue their biz with the foggy islands

31 minutes ago, connda said:

For the same reason that you don't keep on having elections until Hillery wins because Bernie and Hillery supporters don't like Trump.  Same concept.  That makes the election process a total farce.

There is another election every four years, so your analogy fails.

• Like 1

I recognise your stance is at least a considered one, and if I had any faith that we could force the changes you speak of from within or that we have any real negotiating leverage re: movement of people due to population density / reduce free flow of peoples from other EU states then I might be more inclined to agree with and support your position. Reality is we do not have any control over these things and never have done. I made these points quite clearly already, I feel.

I also dislike how the UK, whilst remaining a part of the EU, has a massive prejudice against all non EU citizens across the board on a range of policies, and, I think it is quite clear we are becoming more of a vassal state each year.

That is just empirical, from 1973 to today how much extra legislature, regulation, closer union/consolidation of control has the EU exerted over its members - a staggering amount under the pretense of it being in our favour/security - I call bull shit on that.

No one ever voted for or was consulted about - monetary union, political union, joint military force or customs union (NATO is utterly incomparable and you must know it?). 

A single market was what we officially voted to enter in to and look how the whole thing has progressed from there. To think that it will stop in it's tracks now is as shortsighted and naive as imagining that we can bargain our way out of free movement of people or fixing any of the other myriad of 'issues' from within if you ask me. Seems pretty clear cut. I don't trust May or Labour an inch either, they seem to be useless, almost to a man. That said, I trust Juncker, Baroso, Schultz, Blair or Soros even less. And crucially, we have no say on whether these supercilious bureaucrats (at best) stay in power or not. Furthermore, this big 'trading club' is in reality the slowest growing trade area in the world, in fact it has the highest level of stagnation, we need to cast our gaze faaaar further afield where the real potential business / economic powerhouse partners lie, which of course we are disallowed from doing. The EU is old news and is a wounded beast. Not an up and coming emerging market / economic engine.

When the only things that are clearly identifiable as advantageous amount to - visa free travel and work status and better food regulations, then I'd say staying in the union is the sign of 'synaptic disadvantage'. So, forgive me, but I believe it is you who is misguided and that we are better off out and making a fresh start on our own terms. 

You are entitled to your opinion

I am certainly prejudiced bordering on bigotry against immigration from many countries who do not fit in well with our society or what is left of it.

We are not in the Euro zone or the Schengen areas so those are worn out Brexiter red herrings.

Why should we share sovereignty over NATO but not the EU? Right now I would favour voting the USA out of NATO. Too much trouble

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I don't read much of either... Which 'British rags' are you referencing, so impartially, I wonder?

I'm sure the European press would have a very different opinion, of course! I make an effort to get my information from less biased sources whenever possible, best to eschew the vast majority of MSM, continental or British, most of the time.

I’d be very interested to hear what ‘less biased sources’ you get information from.

Do you care to share these sources with the rest of us?

After Brexit: UK trying to hold on to foreign companies, which earlier setup their offices to UK due easy access to the EU internal markets, easy language access and steady political environment. 

Meanwhile the rest of the EU is saying: Please come and setup your offices and manufacturing units to our countries. We are part of the greatest market in the world.