Extending stay - living in hotels

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not easy to do that due to doing 90 day reports and etc. You have to do the reports at the office where you got the extensions unless you formally change address.

My suggestion and what other have done is to rent a low cost room where you will be applying for the extension. Then you have the option of doing the 90 days my mail.

I don't know the answer hence the question. ?

Arriving on a 1 year O-A obviously issued from home country requires 90 day reports, so it's not an extension of stay which requies 90 day reports where the extension was issued.

If the O-A holder was staying in hotels and rentals and changing location regularly would it mean doing the 90 day report where the TM30 has been sent to Imm' by the hotel/property owner in each case or would Imm' want all 90 day reports done at the location where the initial TM30 was recorded.

7 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Thanks ubonjoe.

Next questions would be:

Which province/s offers cheapest 1br furnished room - with car park?

What would be approx cost for said room?

In small provincial towns around Thailand, there are fan rooms available for a song (perhaps, as low as 1,000 baht per month with water and electric paid separately). They will have places to park your car, but not a secured parking area. If you want a condo with a reserved space in a parking garage, the cost will be many times higher. In that case, you will need to search around for a good deal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Thanks ubonjoe.

Next questions would be:

If you have a friend married and living here could they do a TM30 for you 'staying' with them be a way to start doing it by mail?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If the O-A holder was staying in hotels and rentals and changing location regularly would it mean doing the 90 day report where the TM30 has been sent to Imm' by the hotel/property owner in each case or would Imm' want all 90 day reports done at the location where the initial TM30 was recorded.

It would require registering at each office where they tried to do the 90 day report. What would be needed is would depend upon each offices requirements.

Having a permanent address would help since the reports could be done by mail. The report slip mailed to that address would not be needed until the next report was mailed in. Of course there is also the option of doing the reports online.

36 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Thanks ubonjoe.

Next questions would be:

Probably Isaan, NW of Thailand.

Furnished 1 bed apartments, or unfurnished 1 bed house from 3,000 baht per month.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Arriving on a 1 year O-A obviously issued from home country requires 90 day reports, so it's not an extension of stay which requies 90 day reports where the extension was issued.

Hypothetically,  it may be easier for an O-A Visa holder to exit/re-enter every 90 days rather than use an Immigration office to make 90 day reports, especially if travelling and staying in hotels.

The Visa is ME until the 'enter before' date and they could obtain a ME re-entry permit for the second year of stay.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In small provincial towns around Thailand, there are fan rooms available for a song (perhaps, as low as 1,000 baht per month with water and electric paid separately).

Not sure these 'fan' rooms are registered with Immigration for TM30 reports.

More for Thais, not usually up to standards a foreigner is used to.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Hypothetically,  it may be easier for an O-A Visa holder to exit/re-enter every 90 days rather than use an Immigration office to make 90 day reports, especially if travelling and staying in hotels.

The Visa is ME until the 'enter before' date and they could obtain a ME re-entry permit for the second year of stay.

For sure out/ins every 90 would be my choice.?

On line my area I've been told is a bit hit and miss. 

They aren't strict on the TM30/28 system and so far seem to be happy with 'no need to report after a holiday or weeked away' situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

^ Out/ins every 90 days doesn’t work for me as sometimes I will leave Thailand for a few months and would need to leave my car at my Thai room.

Leaving a car for a few months can raise problems at times. As Tom Jones said 'it's not unusual' to come back and find rodents have been making a meal of wires and various bits.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

On line my area I've been told is a bit hit and miss. 

They aren't strict on the TM30/28 system and so far seem to be happy with 'no need to report after a holiday or weeked away' situation.

Not done a mail or online report since they opened a new IO 1km from where I live...…….happy days!

Insist on TM30's if returning from another Country, but not interested if your travelling within Thailand.

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not done a mail or online report since they opened a new IO 1km from where I live...…….happy days!

Insist on TM30's if returning from another Country, but not interested if your travelling within Thailand.

Around my way they only really want a new report if you change address/move house full time. I do a couple of 60 day extensions a year and have done TM30/28 once in the beginning a couple of years ago.

Leaving a car for a few months can raise problems at times. As Tom Jones said 'it's not unusual' to come back and find rodents have been making a meal of wires and various bits.

Yep, safeguards against rodents (and tire flat spots etc) must be taken for long-term car storage. Have never had a problem yet (touching wood).

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

Thanks ubonjoe.

Next questions would be:

You can get a Thai-style dog box apartment for around 2/ 2,500 a month in Chiang Mai. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

^ Out/ins every 90 days doesn’t work for me as sometimes I will leave Thailand for a few months and would need to leave my car at my Thai room.

Have you looked at the O-A visa?

Used the correct way it can last a day or two short of 24 months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Frankly, my first year there I do plan to exit and leave around the 90 day time frame to avoid doing 90 day reports, and I want to go visit some other countries anyway, so it seems to make sense to time things that way.  Get a multi entry at the beginning.  But I understand now some of the issues of where to file the 90 day report, what the hotels should be reporting, what immigration might think in a particular province, etc.  I also suspect that at some point, say 9 month I do a 90 day report somebody will not be happy with me not having done earlier 90 day reports.  So I will be sure to have my passport and visa exit and entry documentation.  I bet there still will be questions. 

34 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Frankly, my first year there I do plan to exit and leave around the 90 day time frame to avoid doing 90 day reports, and I want to go visit some other countries anyway, so it seems to make sense to time things that way.  Get a multi entry at the beginning.  But I understand now some of the issues of where to file the 90 day report, what the hotels should be reporting, what immigration might think in a particular province, etc.  I also suspect that at some point, say 9 month I do a 90 day report somebody will not be happy with me not having done earlier 90 day reports.  So I will be sure to have my passport and visa exit and entry documentation.  I bet there still will be questions. 

Been here since 90's and as yet have not done one single 90 day report to an Imm' office.  Nothing but multi entry B or O visas and out/ins most paid by companies, some by me.

If, and it's a big if, I change to an extension based on retirement it will still be a multi re-entry permit situation and still 89 day out/ins for a few days in other places.

You will have no problems starting to do 90 day reports when you need to. All your out/ins are in the computer.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

Been here since 90's and as yet have not done one single 90 day report to an Imm' office.  Nothing but multi entry B or O visas and out/ins most paid by companies, some by me.

If, and it's a big if, I change to an extension based on retirement it will still be a multi re-entry permit situation and still 89 day out/ins for a few days in other places.

You will have no problems starting to do 90 day reports when you need to. All your out/ins are in the computer.

Wow.  You addressed everything completely.  Thank you!   Looks like as long as they are happy with the visa status, the 90 day report is, well 90 days.

"Looking for advice on how to extend a stay (based on retirement) every year if continuously travelling around the country and changing hotels and provinces every month.

Thanks in advance"

Are you an express train driver on Thai Rail?

On 8/10/2018 at 9:52 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is not easy to do that due to doing 90 day reports and etc. You have to do the reports at the office where you got the extensions unless you formally change address.

My suggestion and what other have done is to rent a low cost room where you will be applying for the extension. Then you have the option of doing the 90 days my mail.

Regarding reporting by mail Ubonjoe, to your'e knowledge,, are there any Immigration offices now that don't allow this?

I do know that there has been in the past.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Regarding reporting by mail Ubonjoe, to your'e knowledge,, are there any Immigration offices now that don't allow this?

I only know of the 3 that don't accept mailed in reports and refuse to process online reports. One that did not accept mailed in reports has started to process online reports now so maybe they will accept a mailed in report now.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 10:49 AM, Tanoshi said:

Not sure these 'fan' rooms are registered with Immigration for TM30 reports.

More for Thais, not usually up to standards a foreigner is used to.

But surely Thai immigration would not bother if the OP wanted to rent one of these "fan" rooms as

long as he did his 90 day reports on time.

But again, it is Thai immigration we are talking about here.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Perhaps if you stated which office you use, a member that uses the same office could give a definitive answer.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But surely Thai immigration would not bother if the OP wanted to rent one of these "fan" rooms as

long as he did his 90 day reports on time.

But again, it is Thai immigration we are talking about here.

'Fan rooms' may not be registered for TM30 online reporting and we know in certain Provinces, no TM30, no service.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

'Fan rooms' may not be registered for TM30 online reporting and we know in certain Provinces, no TM30, no service.

Not all offices require a TM30 report.

The 'fan room' could be reported using the TM30 form.