Tennessee executes man for 1985 rape, murder of seven-year-old girl

webfact

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Thrown away the key? You know that in Britain he would live a quite decent life watching tv .doing the gym, 3 meals a day nice and wsrm ,medical help and out in 20 years .no kill the scum and unlike you my heart will not bleed

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ah, the “gaol is a luxury” argument...

Where do you get the notion my heart is bleeding? 

• Like 1

33 years?! Give me a break! There's something seriously wrong with this system when a person sentenced to death gets to live this long. The girl he raped and murdered only got to live 7 years because of him! Singapore has got their death penalty procedures right.

Bring on the liberal comments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

It all depends what one considers reciprocal punishment, If one considers reciprocal punishment ending ones miserable life and dispatching   him to the peaceful slumber of death and in the process spending millions of dollars to do it then YES, others might think that throwing him in a dark hole, depriving of all liberty and exposing him to the pleasures afforded to pedophiles in jail for the rest of his life , to be a more appropriate punisment

since he has already done it, No deterrent for him

No it was not, it never stooped him from doing it.

No, but it has certainly stopped him from ever doing it again.  We all hear of "life imprisonment" being given as an alternative punishment for a serious crime, but in many countries, in practice it hardly ever means that literally and the prisoner is often released early for one reason or another.  Not all, of course, but many then go on to commit another serious crime, with a member of the public being the (often) totally innocent victim.  

Protection of the public should  be the authorities' prime concern, which has to mean that either the death penalty has to be retained OR, alternatively, "life" must mean "life".  One would have thought that life imprisonment would cost the tax-payer much more, but, somehow, the previous methods of administering the death penalty, which used to be extremely low, have been replaced by supposedly more humane methods, which just happen to cost millions.   Exactly how a lethal injection ends up costing millions is unclear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

No, but it has certainly stopped him from ever doing it again.  We all hear of "life imprisonment" being given as an alternative punishment for a serious crime, but in many countries, in practice it hardly ever means that literally and the prisoner is often released early for one reason or another.

Then fix the problem at hand, not provide a feel good solution that does not address the problem.

56 minutes ago, nemrut said:

Why do western countries, particularly the US/UK/AUS, have so many psychopaths?

Of course. Psychos are evenly distributed throughout the world. Thailand has it's equal share or maybe even a few extra.

7 hours ago, KKr said:

dear do-gooders,
if modern methods are not deemed as suitable, there were a few very effective methods in use before.

I think the state should form a committee of death row convicts and maybe they can come up with some form of lethal injection that meets their humane standards. Let the inmates decide how they want to go out.  Then surely they would have no cause for lawsuits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The death penalty is supposed to deter others from committing the same crime. 

The fact is, the statistics show it doesn’t work. 

It might work if it didn't take 33 years to carry out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

So what? Putting these people to death is good for society and also real justice for the victims and their families, which is really what this is all about.

With the added bonus of collectively saving taxpayers millions on board and lodging the type pf person that cannot realistically be rehabilitated.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Trouble said:

a committee of death row convicts and maybe they can come up with some form of lethal injection that meets their humane standards

A paraquat and novichok speedball maybe?

...with some Dettol to make it smell a bit better after the event.

11 hours ago, Trouble said:

I think the state should form a committee of death row convicts and maybe they can come up with some form of lethal injection that meets their humane standards. Let the inmates decide how they want to go out.  Then surely they would have no cause for lawsuits.

my bet would be on O.D., but that cannot be done because it involves an illegal substance.

9 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Get over it Blues. Who cares? Human scum pieces of shit such as this need to be purged from the planet. :coffee1:

I’ll decide how I feel about the state killing it’s citizens if that’s ok. 

I don’t weep at the passing of scum, but I cannot support the death penalty. 

39 minutes ago, KKr said:

my bet would be on O.D., but that cannot be done because it involves an illegal substance.

Absolutely! They might become addicted. Don't laugh. For years USA doctors wouldn't give adequate pain killers to the dying for that very reason. Drug war and all that. Zero tolerance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1