Warning - Avoid Transit In Vienna From Bkk With Duty Free

DrDweeb

Folks,

I transited in VIE on Sunday morning from BKK on the way to CPH.

My bottle of 21yop Ballvenie was purchased at King Power at Svarnabhumi, and dutifully sealed by the sales staff there in compliance with the new European rules about carrying fluids on board. (Stupid, dumb, idiotic and pointless rules - another thread perhaps).

During transit, the Vienna security officials confiscated every bottle of perfume and liquor from every passenger transiting from OS026 to OS301, and presumably to all the other connecting flights.

The official refused to give a receipt for the confiscated products, and behaved as you would expect from an illiterate borderline moron empowered with percussion firearms.

Not wishing to make any donations to the annual Christmas Party of the Vienna Airport Security Services, I found it necessary to show my contempt by detonating the offending bottle through the use of extreme downward force and the ample use of the earth's gravitational effect. Some fellow passengers found this amusing, while I found that it mostly hurt in my wallet.

So, you have all been warned. I do not know whether any other European airports are interpreting the rules in this way (certainly AMS did not last time I transited there), but it would be a rash decision to acquire fluid products duty free at BKK and have any expectation of carrying them through a european airport as handluggage during transit.

Dr. Dweeb

what about cigarettes?

in copenhagen they do confiscate ciggies - happen to me in 2005 and to my friend in 2004. Security calls customs and they search your bags.

Re-read the post. This is confiscation due to the new "fluid" rules for carry on, not the "duty free allowance".

Sheesh, some people.

Dweeb

New EU-legislation for hand baggage at all airports in the European Union

Effective November 6, 2006, new rules for the contents of hand baggage will apply for all airline passengers throughout the European Union (EU). Passengers may only carry small quantities (max. 100 ml per container) of liquids, gels and aerosols in their hand baggage. The packaging of these products must also meet specific requirements. This applies for all passengers departing from or catching connecting flights at airports within the European Union.

The new rules apply for liquids such as water and other drinks, but also extend to gels, pastes, lotions, and the contents of aerosols. This includes toiletries such as toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, lip gloss, facial creams, mascara and liquid lip balms.

These are the rules for liquids in your hand luggage:

1. You can only bring on liquids and gels in containers of no more than 100 millilitres.

2. These containers must be carried in a transparent plastic bag.

3. There is a limit of one transparent plastic bag per person.

4. The volume of the transparent plastic bag may not be greater than 1 litre.

5. The transparent plastic bag must be re-sealable.

You may bring a suitable plastic bag from home. During the introductory period, free transparent plastic bags will also be given out at all concerned airports.

There are two exceptions to the above rules:

* baby food needed during the flight;

* medicines needed during the flight.

Purchases in duty free at the airport:

* If your trip includes a transfer in a European Union country (including French overseas territories), the retailer must place your purchases in a bag. This will be sealed and must remain so until the end of your trip. This bag must be accompanied by a proof of purchase that will be checked when you transfer at the screening inspection point.

* In Paris, if you are transferring between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris-Orly airports, you are authorized to carry these duty free articles in the cabin of the following flight only if you retain your bag sealed, accompanied by the corresponding proof of purchase.

* If your purchase occurred in an airport located outside the European Union, and you are transferring to a European Union country, you will not be authorized to carry your purchases onto your next flight. They will be taken away from you.

Onboard purchases:

If your purchase occurred onboard an aircraft belonging to a European airline departing from an airport located outside a European Union country, it will be accepted when you transfer in a European Union country, as long as it is placed in a sealed bag accompanied by the proof of onboard purchase.

Separate presentation of contents

When passing through security control, you will be required to present all liquids separately. The transparent plastic bag should accommodate all containers and be easily sealable. You are also required to separately present your coat, jacket and larger electrical equipment, such as laptops, when passing through security control.

Hope this helps

* If your purchase occurred in an airport located outside the European Union, and you are transferring to a European Union country, you will not be authorized to carry your purchases onto your next flight. They will be taken away from you.

Onboard purchases:

If your purchase occurred onboard an aircraft belonging to a European airline departing from an airport located outside a European Union country, it will be accepted when you transfer in a European Union country, as long as it is placed in a sealed bag accompanied by the proof of onboard purchase.

It looks like the security staff at Vienna airport know the rules and apply them.

Of course, it amounts to a reduction in duty-free import into the EU and favouritism for EU airlines, which may have been the intention to begin with.

--

Maestro

Onboard purchases:

It looks like the security staff at Vienna airport know the rules and apply them.

Of course, it amounts to a reduction in duty-free import into the EU and favouritism for EU airlines, which may have been the intention to begin with.

--

Maestro

Indeed. Any moron with a chemistry set can create enough liquid explosive (100ml) to take a plane out of the sky.

The whole directive serves no security purpose, pisses off passengers and, as you rightly point out, disadvantages the rest of the world's duty free stores. Booze at AMS is more expensive than the high street on the items I checked last time - about what you would expect from the kloggies.

Dweeb

It is also not allowed to buy duty free ( liquid) on board if you have to transfer within Europe.

According to the official EU rules, it is allowed if purchased “onboard an aircraft belonging to a European airline departing from an airport located outside a European Union country”. Some form of protectionism, it seems to me.

--

Maestro

^^^^Bummer....I feel your loss.

Well we can blame the Brits and the Yanks for this. Another success for the extremists. :o

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused here, why blame the yanks and the brits for terrorist acts. Why not blame the terrorists ??

Anyway the first rule of survival from Robert A. Heinlein is : Don't get caught !!!

In this day and age, with all the information you need at your fingertips, it is easy to check the rules before you travel. No bad surprises then.

Regards,

onzestan

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused here, why blame the yanks and the brits for terrorist acts. Why not blame the terrorists ??

Well you see it's sort like thai logic!

If the americans and british didn't exist there wouldn't be any terrorist acts against them.

It's the farang is always at fault mentality: "if you weren't here it wouldn't have happened".

It's always a loose loose proposition.

Prevent a terrorist attack you loose, let one happen you also loose.

Clearly our best minds are working overtime on this issue. (tongue in cheek smily inserted here) :o

Well we can blame the Brits and the Yanks for this. Another success for the extremists. :o

Hi there,

Anyway the first rule of survival from Robert A. Heinlein is : Don't get caught !!!

In this day and age, with all the information you need at your fingertips, it is easy to check the rules before you travel. No bad surprises then.

Regards,

onzestan

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/17/fl...et_terror_labs/

http://www.blairwatch.co.uk/node/1303

http://www.bcrevolution.ca/10_aircraft_farce.htm

Thats why.

the whole 08/08 thing was blown out of all proportion,the idea of someone "Mc Gyvering" liquid explosives together in the toilets of a moving aircraft is so ridiculous(and has been refuted/scorned and ridiculed by many,many qualified bomb technicians,disposal/explosives experts)that i can only assume that some Brit officials were smoking crack and watching Die Hard 3 when they came up with this crock of sh*t.

Its just another way to flex muscles,cause panic,and get people more use to being sheep.

Anyone know if Narita does this??? :o

i passed thru NRT a month ago on UA with a bottle of Jack purchased at SFO. they told me before i departed SFO that i wld need to consign it to the hold when changing planes at NRT. this was done at the gate and the bottle was first thing on the carousel at BKK.

just flew BA to LHR and cabin crew were handing out tamper-proof carrier bags for pax with duty-free purchases so that they could take them on onward EU connections. they also gave me a ziplok bag for the small bottles in my hand carry so i could comply with EU regs re- liquids in cabin baggage.

at least 2 airlines and 2 airports seem to have the nebulous and farcical rules in hand

I prefer to put the blame on MUSLIM TERRORISTS who intend to blow up airplanes and cause as many deaths as possible!

I'll take "Brit" or "Yank" extremists any day over Muslim Extremists! A few years ago who would have thought some Muslim fool would try to blow up an airplane with a "shoe bomb?" It is not far-fetched to think that a terrorist would try to smuggle a whiskey bottle full of some sort of "volatile fluid" on board a plane, so he can kill everyone, and go on his way to paradise!

These security arrangements are for the safety of the passengers who fly these aircraft - a little inconvenience is better than being blown up in little pieces! Better safe now than sorry later!