Reflux 80% better in Canada

An oily salmon fillet deboned is almost guaranteed to bring on this reaction a few hours later for me . Nothing else so I think it is individual. Different foods for different people  and hopefully you can work out what foods are not good for you

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scotssing said:

An oily salmon fillet deboned is almost guaranteed to bring on this reaction a few hours later for me . Nothing else so I think it is individual. Different foods for different people  and hopefully you can work out what foods are not good for you

A good comment! That makes sense. Thanks

52 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I took omeprazole for around 10 years, and it worked perfectly. However having had 2 stents inserted into a heart artery, I was advised to stop omeprazole as it clashed with my heart medicine. Apolets. The Dr prescribed instead Prevacid (apparently the lesser of evils)  It works but at around 50baht a tablet and no apparent generic version, it is expensive.

That's interesting.. I have 2 stents, take both Apolets [baby aspirin] and Omeprazole.  I see my Cardiologist next week and will definitely ask a few questions..

A few points from my experience. I have Barratts and take omeprazole for 12 years.

The tissue in throat once changed to Barratts will stop feeling like heartburn so you will feel better. That can be a false reassurance if it has meant you now have Barratts type throat tissue.

Omeprazole is not risk free. There is believed to be an increased risk of dementia, osteoporosis and other risks over time. Acid assists the absorption of vit c and others. Take the lowest dose that works I.e. 20mg/day and do not think omeprazole is a risk free no side effects option. I am now hoping to have nissen fundoplication and stop taking omeprazole, but fingers crossed nissen fundoplication stops my reflux as I want to stop taking omeprazole. 

Edited by twix38

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yep, dual action, can be used for heartburn and indigestion. Wife swears by it.

http://www.gaviscon.co.uk/products/gaviscon-double-action/gaviscon-double-action-liquids/gaviscon-double-action-liquid-aniseed/

There are three kinds of Gaviscon made in uk. Gaviscon original, Gaviscon dual action and Gaviscon Advance.

The original have 250 mg alginate (the stuff that makes the foam in youre stomach to prevent reflux). Dual action has 500 mg alginate but Advance have 1000 mg alginate.

I just been to the pharmacie. They had the original and dual action but they never heard of advance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I took omeprazole for around 10 years, and it worked perfectly. However having had 2 stents inserted into a heart artery, I was advised to stop omeprazole as it clashed with my heart medicine. Apolets. The Dr prescribed instead Prevacid (apparently the lesser of evils)  It works but at around 50baht a tablet and no apparent generic version, it is expensive.

That's strange. I had a stent fitted and was advised to increase my dose of omeprazole due to the medication I was given.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Good luck getting things straightened out.  I always feel better/healthier going home for a while. 

Strange. I'm happier here, and can't wait to get back to Thailand.

2 hours ago, twix38 said:

Omeprazole is not risk free. There is believed to be an increased risk of dementia

https://www.nhs.uk/news/neurology/link-between-indigestion-drugs-and-dementia-inconclusive/

Interesting reads. No cause for alarm with the supposed dementia risk. But may want in increase Vit B12 intake?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170720095314.htm

Edited by xylophone

2 hours ago, Scotssing said:

True. I love cream. It doesn't love me.

https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2014/may/helicobacter-pylori-eradication/

Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria which causes problems in many people.

A blood test will give the H. pylori count.  I think anything above 200 is

cause to take two forms of treatment.  First, are antibiotics that are both

specific and general.  I was diagnosed and treated in 1988, in Arizona,

after convincing the military doctors of the Australia discovery.  See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Marshall .  Second a maintenance

inhibitor taken usually daily.  IMO, my nearly two years in Vietnam,

1971-72, was my place of infection.  I've taken Omeprazole and early

versions for 30 years.  Dementia might be creeping up on me at age 69.  LOL

Terry W. Colvin

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, twix38 said:

Take the lowest dose that works I.e. 20mg/day and do not think omeprazole is a risk free no side effects option

Yep I got down to a dose of 20mg per day, then took the D-limonene capsules for 20 days and have never taken omeprazole regularly since. 

If one can stop GERD with lifestyle changes (incl knowing which foods bring it on) then omeprazole can become a backstop only.

A pharmacist friend in NZ who suffered from it badly and tried everything (incl fundoplication) did a huge amount of research on it, as well as experimenting with diet and came to the conclusion that for him, eating grains/cereals (eg muesli and the like) brought it on badly. And I find that a breakfast cereal/muesli gives me slight symptoms, so rarely eat it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

For acid reflux I have been taking a number of various acid inhibitors (Nexium, Prevacid, omeprazole) over the past 20+ years and they all work. After have stents placed in a heart artery I was prescribed Plavix/Clopidogrel/Apolets (all to prevent blood clotting) and Protonix/pantoprazole for the reflux. 

The pantoprazole is supposed to be better when using Plavix. When the pantoprazole ran out I just substituted omeprazole.

• Like 1

For me, 20 mg Nexium per day keeps the reflux at bay. It come back with a vengeance if I even miss a day.

Again, for me, I've found that avoiding 'red' vegetables (including watermelon) seems to help. Having ice in my beer (to dilute it and keep it cold) is also a good practice (usual in Thailand, but considered weird in Australia). Avoiding chocolate is another major thing (easy to do in Thailand since there are no brands I like).

I suspect I could try weaning myself off the Nexium if I laid off the Coca Cola (I drink about 2 cans a day), but haven't had the will power yet.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I LOVE chocolate but since my episodes and even though now they are rare, I still can't eat milk chocolate, but dark and bitter choc is fine??

Same with me, I use to eat an average of 200 gm of Cadbury's per day. I was never able to handle white chocolate and now can only eat a little milk chocolate. However, dark (quality) chocolate doesn't seem to cause any problems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dario said:

For me, all the kudos to Omeprazole, that is what my doctor in the government hospital described me, 3 months ago, never had any acid reflux during all that time. I take it in the morning before taking my breakfast. Don't worry about coming back regarding your probelm.

I don't really have a problem pal, thanks to Nexium, you stick with your Omeprazole if it helps you

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Couple of friends take a small glass of fresh lime juice first thing in the morning. They’ve been doing it for 7-8 months now and say their reflux ceased almost immediately. 

Wow, that's worth knowing.

• Haha 1

my wife has gerd and she took omeprazole for years.  After reading stuff about taking meds like that long term I got her to try taking probiotics instead.  Hard to get good probiotics in Thailand, we use iherb or vitacost.  But she takes one before each meal and it has helped her a lot with out taking other drugs.  You might give it a go and see if it works for you or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rwill said:

my wife has gerd and she took omeprazole for years.  After reading stuff about taking meds like that long term I got her to try taking probiotics instead.  Hard to get good probiotics in Thailand, we use iherb or vitacost.  But she takes one before each meal and it has helped her a lot with out taking other drugs.  You might give it a go and see if it works for you or not.

Also look up "D-Limonene gerd" as that helped me and my Dr is trying it!! It may have a similar effect to the lime juice another poster suggested??

Don't know how it worked, but it did and a gastroscopy confirmed it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I LOVE chocolate but since my episodes and even though now they are rare, I still can't eat milk chocolate, but dark and bitter choc is fine??

It's probably more related to the fat content of the chocolate. Milk chocolate is compounded with coconut oil, whereas dark chocolate has much less.

Post #10, from the Doctor on site.

Lots of comment as to what to take medication to mass the problem but nothing regarding preventing the problem which is really, in my opinion, the diet.

It first came about in 1997,  my usual routine since my 20's waking up at 4am, before arriving at work, stopped and got the largest cup of coffee possible basically pure caffeine and my paper.  Right after the attack came it felt like I was having a stroke after a week I had it checked out the diagnosis was quick guess he heard it a million times for me it was the caffeine. As soon as I stopped the morning java it was pretty much gone. I was put on a pill for a while Prelesic, that was before Nexum. Also, spicy food would also give the same problem. I went cold turkey no coffee for near two years and I love the stuff like some of you guys love your beer.

That being said if you guys do a bit of research will find everyone has a weakness what I know many expats here or visitor have those symptoms it is the ALCOHOL!

Then there is the soda, coke majority have CAFFEINE!

Citruses like orange juice will set it off and type of acid fruits. 

After two years I had a scope I was all cleared so guess what I started with deCaf coffee then back to the regular but today no pills it is all about moderation. Two cups a day now tops never soda pop like coke, pepsi just carbonated water.

In Thailand, MSG pretty much used in all Thai food, if you like the spices it all adds up. Oh someone said Chocolate, not the fat guess what Chocolate loaded with Caffeine!

Then there is the stuffing and eating because you are on vacation, as I term it you jack yourself up.

You need to eat smaller meals and don't stuff yourself before bedtime. If an attack comes don't sleep completely flat use a few pillows or sleep on your side.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2