How safe is touring Thailand by motorbike?

sidjameson

7 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

There are some wonderful roads.

IMG_4760.jpg.ddee8828c872188b4ae845a35b3b4e01.jpg

And then there can be this sort of thing.

IMG_5085.jpg.60b4f5a0bb40a8eb8aab15883f4eb941.jpg

Riding defensively with a "slow in - fast out" style certainly helps as does positioning in your lane in straighter road sections.

Yeah and everybody just look at all the dangerous traffic that's about out there to kill ya as many say here. ?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mogandave said:

As long winded as you are I have no interest in going back over your pontifications, but you appear to be doubling down. And I make no apologies for attempting to converse with clarity.

I know that the (I hope) last time I went down on a bike was in DC and had it not been right in front of the guard armory and the medics been on me in minutes I’d of bled out on the street.

Not doubling down, but will always call out anyone attempting to attribute words to me which I didn't say. Which is what you incorrectly attempted to do.

So in your last accident, what caused your bleeding? Compound fractures? What gear were you wearing?

Edited by Farangwithaplan

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah and everybody just look at all the dangerous traffic that's about out there to kill ya as many say here. ?

Yes, as I have pontificated before, once out on the B roads the country opens up with reasonable visibility and runoff. The roads are as good as you will find in many countries. And based only on the amount of other  I meet on my trips, I find very few take the roads less traveled.

JaiLai, Nan and Uttaradit and over toward Leoi have some wonderful roads. Fast sweepers to really technical switchbacks that go on for 50km or more it is easy to use all the tyre if you are so inclined. It is extremely rewarding to ride those roads.

• Like 2

Not doubling down, but will always call out anyone attempting to attribute words to me which I didn't say. Which is what you incorrectly attempted to do.

So in your last accident, what caused your bleeding? Compound fractures? What gear were you wearing?

Yet you continually attribute words to others they don’t say....

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yet you continually attribute words to others they don’t say....

It is good to see you have made an effort in your previous to last post. I was beginning to think you were some drunken old rummie based your responses.

Anyway, I just found the ignore option. Bye.

It is good to see you have made an effort in your previous to last post. I was beginning to think you were some drunken old rummie based your responses.
Anyway, I just found the ignore option. Bye.

I don’t blame you.

Have a nice forever...

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

To answer the question with a question.

How safe is it to stick your arm into a crocodile's mouth? ? 

Now --------- that's a croc.....!!!

Bada bing......

• Haha 2

There is also an aspect of driving/riding in Thailand that could be seen as offensive driving/riding, right of way is often not given, often you can find yourself in a situation where you need to push your right of way for safety sake, the opposite of defensive. 

Travelling on a main road at speed, amongst traffic, and 3-4 cars are trying to enter from a side street, defensive driving would dictate that you slow and cover your brake in case a car decides to enter from the side st. Slow and cover your brake in Thailand will be seen as an invitation/opportunity for the other cars to enter, all the cars travelling at speed then need to stop, some will some wont, some will change lanes or maybe rear end you etc. In some instances, you have to override those defensive instincts.

2 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Apprently OldLakey thinks it is a foregone conclusion that injury will take place.

They probably will be sooner or later

Now what specifically is crap? You haven't outlined it in your post. And you certainly haven't offered anything up for debate in that post either. Would you care to elaborate because I really don't understand.

I did suggest that I a selection of the population like to denigrate bike riders and see it as their right to do so. I also suggested that I feel people who live a safe life are missing out on some things. More power to them for living the straight life and wearing their "Tuesday" marked underwear on only Tuesdays. More power to them. But when they use illogical statements and skewed data to justify their comments about bike riders, they should expect a retort.

I have reread my post and I never made any suggestion about non riders being a pussy. I really can't understand how you came to that conclusion. Did you not comprehend my post?. You are making that statement up and attempting to attribute it to me. Why would you attempt that?

What are your thought on the figures on the motorcycle deaths? Do you think they reflect the type of riders who this thread is aimed at? If so, why. I really would like to hear your thoughts on that.

The chap asking for advice on this thread has stated he is very inexperienced

Hence Oldlakey is of the opinion that a nasty occurrence is more likely to occur

sooner rather than later just the law of averages

That situation would be the same anywhere as mistakes are made because of inexperience, but the problem is greatly compounded in Thailand the figures prove it

The figures show that road casualties in Thailand especially for bike riders would rule it out as a place to learn to ride "touring" or otherwise

This is nothing other than my opinion and its of no consequence, as its each to their own 

There is also an aspect of driving/riding in Thailand that could be seen as offensive driving/riding, right of way is often not given, often you can find yourself in a situation where you need to push your right of way for safety sake, the opposite of defensive. 

Travelling on a main road at speed, amongst traffic, and 3-4 cars are trying to enter from a side street, defensive driving would dictate that you slow and cover your brake in case a car decides to enter from the side st. Slow and cover your brake in Thailand will be seen as an invitation/opportunity for the other cars to enter, all the cars travelling at speed then need to stop, some will some wont, some will change lanes or maybe rear end you etc. In some instances, you have to override those defensive instincts.

Combat driving as it were...

They don’t care how long it takes...as long as they’re first...
  • Like 1

Navigation challenges haven't been mentioned thus far: signage in Thai, lack of on-board GPS on a bike, getting on and off frontage roads, expressways, tricky interchanges, backed up U-turn lanes which unexpectedly turn the right hand passing lane into a parking lot. Very few guard rails in Thailand, but plenty of roadside trees.

My neighbor's son-in-law has a serious yaa baa problem and I have been doing research on the effects of methamphetamine: euphoric feelings of invincibility, not sleeping for days, aggressiveness, violent behavior, increased distractability, restlessness, agitation, loss of consciousness. Might go a long way in explaining some of the daredevil and aggressive driving you see here.

One time, this pack of Thai guys on vroom vroom Bugatti bikes zipped past me doing 140-150. Half an hour later I happened to catch up to them at a rest stop. They were seated at a table, ice filled plastic cups aready as one of them cracked the seal on a fifth of Jack Daniels. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Edited by Gecko123

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Navigation challenges haven't been mentioned thus far: signage in Thai, lack of on-board navigation, getting on and off frontage roads, expressways, interchanges, backed up U-turn lanes which unexpectedly turn the right hand passing lane into a parking lot. Very few guard rails in Thailand either, but plenty of roadside trees.

My neighbor's son-in-law has a serious yaa baa problem and I have been doing research on the effects of methamphetamine: euphoric feelings of invincibility, not sleeping for days, aggressiveness, violent behavior, increased distractability, restlessness, agitation, loss of consciousness. Might go a long way in explaining some of the daredevil and aggressive driving you see here.

One time, this pack of Thai guys on vroom vroom Bugatti bikes zipped past me doing 140-150. Half an hour later I happened to catch up to them at a rest stop. They were seated at a table, ice filled plastic cups aready as one of them cracked the seal on a fifth of Jack Daniels. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Straight forward choice there I reckon either chill out and give them a good head start or do a U- turn

4 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Yes, as I have pontificated before, once out on the B roads the country opens up with reasonable visibility and runoff. The roads are as good as you will find in many countries. And based only on the amount of other  I meet on my trips, I find very few take the roads less traveled.

JaiLai, Nan and Uttaradit and over toward Leoi have some wonderful roads. Fast sweepers to really technical switchbacks that go on for 50km or more it is easy to use all the tyre if you are so inclined. It is extremely rewarding to ride those roads.

I'm off to Nan on another motorbike tour mountain road trip soon, one of the only provinces I haven't visited in 13 years here. 

Yeah so many of the health & safety brigade here Bkk & City types and alike have never seen idyllic off main highway country roads, and then comment on their limited experience they just can't see out of their bubble.

• Like 2

I'm off to Nan on another motorbike tour mountain road trip soon, one of the only provinces I haven't visited in 13 years here. 
Yeah so many of the health & safety brigade here Bkk & City types and alike have never seen idyllic off main highway country roads, and then comment on their limited experience they just can't see out of their bubble.

Have you ever considered that a lot of people have already a lot of country roads and no longer have an interest?

It like camping, I take my kid because he likes it, I could give-a-shed less if I never slept under another star....

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Have you ever considered that a lot of people have already a lot of country roads and no longer have an interest?

It like camping, I take my kid because he likes it, I could give-a-shed less if I never slept under another star....

Firstly maybe there the ones or some not going on about dangers of doing something people like.

Secondly one of the commitments about being a good Dad.

Firstly maybe there the ones or some not going on about dangers of doing something people like.

To be clear, I generally do not care what dangerous activities people participate in, it’s when they go on about how people that think it’s a bad idea, or do not want to participate are punks, or live small, sheltered live.

I’ve been involved in all manner of idiotic nonsense in my sixty years, but I no longer feel the need to prove what I badass I used to pretend I was.

What percentage of guys that get seriously messed up in bike accidents end up on the public tit? That kind of makes it everyone’s business...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

To be clear, I generally do not care what dangerous activities people participate in, it’s when they go on about how people that think it’s a bad idea, or do not want to participate are punks, or live small, sheltered live.

I’ve been involved in all manner of idiotic nonsense in my sixty years, but I no longer feel the need to prove what I badass I used to pretend I was.

What percentage of guys that get seriously messed up in bike accidents end up on the public tit? That kind of makes it everyone’s business...

People do stupid and dangerous things of different reasons! 

Passion is one good reason!

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

What were the roads like then? Have the smaller villages changed much?

Haven't been back much, but a lot has changed.  Used to be a whole lot of dirt roads other than a few main highways and in towns. 

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You resent people cautioning others about the risks of riding motorcycles in Thailand? Why, because it bums you out, and detracts from your riding pleasure? I would think any sensible rider would applaud any and all efforts to forewarn others. But I suppose some drinkers and smokers get annoyed when doctors warn about cirrhosis of the liver and lung cancer as well.

One thing I've noticed on this thread is that there are people who have a deep emotional investment in bike riding and it's a big part of their self-image. That's all fine and good. But if the mere voicing of well- documented risks causes people to bristle, then I say maybe they need to ask themselves if they haven't gone a little overboard in the chopper enthusiast self-image/emotional investment department. Any chance that might be happening here, Kawasaki?

P.S. Enjoy your trip to Nan, and at the risk of annoying you further, please drive safely.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

Thailand have many nice roads to ride on with less traffic outside of the cities and away from the highways, and it is not that dangerous. But riding motorbikes gives you freedom and sometimes wings. 

It is for everything and anything that gives pleasure, it comes with danger. And the question is, are you willing to take that risk to gain that pleasure? Is it worth it? 

Maesot was the first Tour i did from Suhpanbury..Nice hi way to Phits,then temptation, then on too Uttaradit and the start of the Mountain bit. Brilliant roads if you say you didn’t open up a bit your the only one.Nans good to just a bit boreing before you hit the mountains after the U/ Dit one. No Bike for 15 years now, back cant do a full day, and never biked other than to Cruse Thailand’s rather nice Mountain Areas.?[emoji965]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

I had a Levada Jota with a built in safety feature When the Rain Fall It Stop.WentTuring England and Dealer there change to 12V. From silly 6. Bit expensive but By then i had not much wet road skill . .?. More Tourin tales please , we all enjoy then i sure.!.

I had a Levada Jota with a built in safety feature When the Rain Fall It Stop.WentTuring England and Dealer there change to 12V. From silly 6. Bit expensive but By then i had not much wet road skill . .?. More Tourin tales please , we all enjoy then i sure.!.

Was a nice sounding bike, that Jota Mota!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

You resent people cautioning others about the risks of riding motorcycles in Thailand? Why, because it bums you out, and detracts from your riding pleasure? I would think any sensible rider would applaud any and all efforts to forewarn others. But I suppose some drinkers and smokers get annoyed when doctors warn about cirrhosis of the liver and lung cancer as well.

A well thought out post Gecko and for the most I agree with you. Where I see a difference is that some, not all of the people who have posted here are using data that most probably cannot be attributed to the type of riding being discussed here. I don't have data at had but would be willing to wager drugs and alcohol, poorly maintained vehicles, little no no safety gear, poor training, sleep deprivation and location are leading factors in the majority of rider deaths.

I'm also willing to wager that most westerners coming here to tour country roads will not be doing so drunk, without safety gear, on poorly maintained vehicles whilst on whizz and alcohol.

I agree that efforts to forewarn others of the potential dangers is to be commended. But the warnings need to be factual or it is likely to fall on deaf ears. The way the absoluteness of the warnings have been put on this thread does a dis-service in my opinion.

There are risks but the risks in the country are very different to driving on roads like Kanchanapriesek Road on a friday evening after the bars and restaurants have closed or riding Vibaradi Rangsit road in peak hour.

By all means forewarn. But please make the warnings worthwhile and relevant. By stating words to the effect of "I had an accident therefore you will too. It is just a matter of time" and "75 percent of deaths in Thailand are from riding bikes" or whatever is skewed and irrelevant.

It is akin to saying, "People in the world have HIV. If you have sex you will contract it. It is not if, but when". That statement ignores the possibilities of practicing safe sex, taking tests with well chosen potential partners who aren't screwing around and the like which considerably lower the risk. The sub groups who don't follow the good safety practices are more likely to statistically find themselves with HIV. But who on this forum would be willing to forego their Birmingham folk dancing based on the Thai HIV figures?

The world is not black and white. And for all the well meaning intentions some of the info on this thread is less than useful to touring the countryside in Thailand.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1