Trump backs boycott of Harley Davidson in steel tariff dispute

webfact

Trump backs boycott of Harley Davidson in steel tariff dispute

By Ginger Gibson

2018-08-12T150049Z_2_LYNXMPEE7B0G1_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP-HARLEYDAVIDSON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence leaves after meeting with Harley Davidson executives at the South Lawn of the White House in Washington U.S., February 2, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump backed boycotting American motorcycle manufacturer Harley Davidson Inc <HOG.N> on Sunday, the latest salvo in a dispute between the company and Trump over tariffs on steel.

The Wisconsin-based motorcycle manufacturer announced a plan earlier this year to move production of motorcycles for the European Union from the United States to its overseas facilities to avoid the tariffs imposed by the trading bloc in retaliation for Trump's duties on steel and aluminum imports.

In response, Trump has criticized Harley Davidson, calling for higher, targeted taxes and threatening to lure foreign producers to the United States to increase competition.

"Many @harleydavidson owners plan to boycott the company if manufacturing moves overseas. Great! Most other companies are coming in our direction, including Harley competitors. A really bad move! U.S. will soon have a level playing field, or better," Trump said in a Twitter post.

Harley Davidson has repeatedly declined to comment on Trump's remarks over the course of the dispute. The company could not be immediately reached for comment on Sunday.

Harley has forecast that the EU tariffs would cost the company about $30 million to $45 million for the remainder of 2018 and $90 million to $100 million on a full-year basis.

Trump met Saturday with a group of bikers who support him, posing for pictures with about 180 bikers at his golf resort in Bedminster, New Jersey, where he is on vacation.

Motorcycle companies based outside the United States include Japan's Honda Motor Co Ltd <7267.T> and Yamaha Corp <7951.T>, Europe's BMW <BMWG.DE> and Ducati as well as India's Hero MotoCorp Ltd <HROM.NS>, Bajaj Auto Ltd <BAJA.NS>, among others.

(Reporting by Ginger Gibson; editing by Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-13
  • Haha 1

Since the ' Easy Rider ' movie , Harley has been a symbol of Americas Freedom .

May be now it will become a symbol of resistance to Trump's politics ...?

I do not see Donald on a Harley anyway , but at least he should buy a Tesla ... ?

I forgot , no need for this as there is no climate change anyway ... so , back to the glorious V8's , who burn 15 gallons on 100 miles ...?

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Crap over priced junk motorcycles. An entry level , beginner bike. Being made in India and I guess here as well. 

Most third world country simbolized HD as a symbol of success. I live and grew up in Bali , where my father work for BP, however he never sought after HD ..my daily driver are VW,Vespa & Lamny with mum & dad driving. Most retired army officer own HD and become member and sometime become the leader of the club. Just think how can a retired army officer or active can buy that with below 20k BHT . Sometime HD been associated with arogant above the law rider,which turn my head around. Even the most corrupt President in SE Asia ride a HD.

Edited by NonthaburiBear
  • Like 1

And just what makes up group labeled as Harley owners? As diverse as any other group. I have US Harley riding friends. Common behaviors they don't approve of include blow hards, liars, cowards and draft dodgers. Pretty good fit for Trumps characteristics

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Appalling behaviour. 

Spoilt brat resorting to absurd threats to any company or person not buying into his thinking. 

so you think it's better companies dictate policies that affect all of Americans and American production? 

It's ok HD threatens USA because they don't agree with policies made. 

You beed to start broadening your views without the Trump bias.. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Imo. People pay a premium for an HD. Not because they're worth it, but because of branding.

Corporate ownership are squeezing every nickle at the cost of US jobs etc. when they're already getting premium$$.

Always a one way street.

The overseas factories were already in the mix,I believe. I hope their sales suffer... big time

Do not under estamate the Chinese market.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Harley Davidson have every right to produce their bikes where they wish and are under no obligation to suffer because of trumps stupidity in initiating a tariff war.  

And people have every right to decide NOT to buy the bikes , if they disagree with company policies

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, car720 said:

Well unfortunately I don't think they will ever Triumph.  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Triumph employ more workers in Thailand than they do in the UK. It's the future for automotive production.

When I was a youngster the 2 iconic US brands were Harley Davidson and Levis.

Levis haven't produced a single pair of jeans in the US for a good number of years. US market Levis manufactured in Mexico. Several countries manufacture Levis for the European market, primarily Turkey.

Oh the irony that corporate globalism creates.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, car720 said:

Well unfortunately I don't think they will ever Triumph.  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Norton Trumps watch anyway... 

Although I will allow that it is a Bonnie idea! 

I'll quit now, whilst in front - which isn't much of a boast as the bloke behind is riding a Hartley. 

Edited by JAG

Trump posing with bikers.

1534028654905.jpg.420bdd76a246bad8fac36469884ff83d.jpg

I wonder where he get this idea from... must say both Trump and US bikers look like punch of sissies when compared to the Russian ones. ?

Putin-560x280.jpg.63e65c8d4feaf3da74b391cec59f952f.jpg

Isn´t it better for all companies in USA, to start thinking about leaving. That before this maniac of a president reach down to the core pillars of the country with his well trained termites

Edited by Get Real
  • Like 1

Again, absolutely no leadership from the tangerine tornado. Boycotting Harley means the loss of even more American jobs, numskull! Harely is right in fighting these ridiculous trade policies, and this trade war. I hope hundreds of American companies follow suit. One thing this nitwit does not seem to comprehend, is that at least half of the products that he wants to impose tariffs on, are made by American companies in China. All this trade war is, is a tax hike for the American people. It is dumb and dumber. I am hopeful this brain dead plan will convince many of his supporters to abandon him.

Tiny Don. He could not negotiate his way out of a paper bag. Making America less great by the day. Making America less relevant than it has ever been.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Since the ' Easy Rider ' movie , Harley has been a symbol of Americas Freedom .

Leaky, noisy and passé 

The rest of the world has moved on!

• Thanks 1