Risk of no-deal Brexit rising, 'everyone needs to prepare' - Hunt

snoop1130

Risk of no-deal Brexit rising, 'everyone needs to prepare' - Hunt

Reuters Staff

hkkj.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt attends a joint news conference with China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi at the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing, China July 30, 2018. REUTERS/Jason Lee

HELSINKI (Reuters) - The risk of a no-deal Brexit has been increasing and the European Union commission needs to change its attitude if a deal is to be reached, foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt said on Tuesday.

“Everyone needs to prepare for the possibility of a chaotic no-deal Brexit,” Hunt told reporters in Helsinki, referring to a situation where Britain would leave the EU without first agreeing a deal over their future relationship.

“I think the risk of a no Brexit deal has been increasing recently,” he said.

“But it’s not what anyone wants and I hope very much that we’ll find a way to avoid that ... We do need to see a change in approach by the European Commission.”

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-8-14

25 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Absurd. 

That was a quote out of this article 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/14/jeremy-hunt-eu-must-change-approach-avoid-no-deal-brexit

End quote from article.....looks like a panic attack, seems becoming more & more a desperate government 

Hunt’s warning came after Barnier’s deputy, Sabine Weyand, tweeted on Monday there was “no guarantee we will succeed” and called on business “to prepare for a disorderly Brexit”.

Probably because of this :

"So far the government’s attempt to go over the head of Barnier, whose mandate has been agreed by the EU’s 27 leaders, has not yielded visible results."

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, swissie said:

At least, that would be practical advice.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/09/im-already-stockpiling-readers-preparing-for-a-messy-brexit

'I'm already stockpiling': readers preparing for a messy Brexit

We hear from readers who have plans in place in case Britain runs out of food after a no-deal Brexit

Guardian readers and Rachel Obordo

Thu 9 Aug 2018 08.30 BST

•  
  •  
  •  

Shares

over stocked food cupboard. Many readers told us they were buying extra tinned food. Photograph: Alamy

Britain could run out of food by this time next year if it cannot maintain the flow of goods after Brexit, the National Farmers’ Union has said. After it emerged that the government was drawing up plans to stockpile food in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the British Retail Consortium and drug manufacturers issued more warnings about possible supply shortages, we asked for your views.

About 300 readers got in touch, with more than half saying they had already started stockpiling or were seriously considering doing so, and the rest sharing their concerns about shortages after a no-deal Brexit. The most popular food items people wanted to store were staples such as flour, olive oil, dried pasta, rice, powdered milk, coffee and tinned items such as tomatoes and sardines. Many readers also highlighted “luxuries” such as chocolate, and there was mention of stocking up on over-the-counter medicines such as painkillers and antihistamines.

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/09/im-already-stockpiling-readers-preparing-for-a-messy-brexit

'I'm already stockpiling': readers preparing for a messy Brexit

We hear from readers who have plans in place in case Britain runs out of food after a no-deal Brexit

Guardian readers and Rachel Obordo

Thu 9 Aug 2018 08.30 BST

•  
  •  
  •  

Shares

over stocked food cupboard. Many readers told us they were buying extra tinned food. Photograph: Alamy

Britain could run out of food by this time next year if it cannot maintain the flow of goods after Brexit, the National Farmers’ Union has said. After it emerged that the government was drawing up plans to stockpile food in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the British Retail Consortium and drug manufacturers issued more warnings about possible supply shortages, we asked for your views.

About 300 readers got in touch, with more than half saying they had already started stockpiling or were seriously considering doing so, and the rest sharing their concerns about shortages after a no-deal Brexit. The most popular food items people wanted to store were staples such as flour, olive oil, dried pasta, rice, powdered milk, coffee and tinned items such as tomatoes and sardines. Many readers also highlighted “luxuries” such as chocolate, and there was mention of stocking up on over-the-counter medicines such as painkillers and antihistamines.

Running out of food and medicines will be the result of two possible actions. 

The UK government preventing them from being imported, which would be an act of willfull stupidity of epic proportions, which although not to be discounted with this bunch, is perhaps unlikely. 

The EU "government" (there is one in all but name) refusing to allow them to be exported to the UK, effectively imposing a blockade. That would be a hostile act. 

Shortages are more likely to be caused by panicked Guardianistas frantically stockpiling their store cupboards with items which they would never normally be seen dead with in their shopping trollies. 

The Islington Waitrose is in for a torrid time! 

Hunt doesn't help with these sort of stupid comments, at least Boris was funny... 

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

Before the Brexit referendum I informed the Brexiteers here that the pound would crash. In fact it crashed by 21% and I reminded them. They said do not worry it will recover within 3 weeks. Since then I have been losing 21.5% to 26% of my pension compared with the GBP immediately before the referendum was announced to be held. And we have not even left the EU yet! If we leave the GBP will fall by another 10%+ meaning that I will be losing 36% of my pension payments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Before the Brexit referendum I informed the Brexiteers here that the pound would crash. In fact it crashed by 21% and I reminded them. They said do not worry it will recover within 3 weeks. Since then I have been losing 21.5% to 26% of my pension compared with the GBP immediately before the referendum was announced to be held. And we have not even left the EU yet! If we leave the GBP will fall by another 10%+ meaning that I will be losing 36% of my pension payments.

So what ?  We are all in the same boat. Stop moaning.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Gutless, pathetic remoaners. Get on board or get out.

Lets just wait till we leave with no deal to listen to what you have to say then?

The joke will be on you mate, we remainers have had to suck up your dross for a couple of years now, but the chickens are now coming home to roost and Brexiteers are getting very worried, bet you never thought it would come to this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Brexiteers either hope to make a killing out of it, or in the case of their followers, just hope it will hurt the remainers more than them. What a surprise they have coming ...... 

It would be nice if that yougov poll is right. I don't want to become a Brexit refugee returning to the UK ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but I do not understand all these complains. The British, voted in complete freedom, with access to all information sources on the world, but.. they decided to believe Liar Boris, with his 3.5 million pounds per day for the National Health Service, a slogan even Nigal Farage had his doubts. As thanks, Liar Boris was appointed minister of Foreign Affairs...

This vote was without ANY restriction about conditions, and what next ? When a nation has such a low interest in their future, so their own choice.

As Brexit started with the acceptance of the letter off May to the EU, the U.K. is scheduled to depart at 11pm UK time on Friday 29 March, 2019. Maybe wise to start re-entry into the EU at 11:00:001 ? under new conditions, for instance: no preferences anymore, accept Schengen, the €uro, and driving on the right way ?

36 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

When a nation has such a low interest in their future, so their own choice.

I have to admit I enjoy seeing stupid people reap what they sowed. But trying to ignore these bad thoughts, we have to admit that:

1. There are many people who did not want this, but who will equally effected because of the stupidity of others. Some of them are my friends. They don’t deserve it because they didn’t vote for it. 

2. Many of those who voted for it did so because they’re illiterate and easy prey for the people who manipulated and lied to them. They don’t deserve it because they should have been protected from their own inability in the first place by not exposing them to such a complex matter. 

So while I tend to think สมน้ำหน้า, we should be fair and hope for the U.K. that someone will get their senses back and undo this Desaster. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I have to admit I enjoy seeing stupid people reap what they sowed. But trying to ignore these bad thoughts, we have to admit that:

1. There are many people who did not want this, but who will equally effected because of the stupidity of others. Some of them are my friends. They don’t deserve it because they didn’t vote for it. 

2. Many of those who voted for it did so because they’re illiterate and easy prey for the people who manipulated and lied to them. They don’t deserve it because they should have been protected from their own inability in the first place by not exposing them to such a complex matter. 

So while I tend to think สมน้ำหน้า, we should be fair and hope for the U.K. that someone will get their senses back and undo this Desaster. 

at 1) the consequence of democracy and 50% + 1 vote is enough for such an enormous change.

at 2) the consequence of 1 head = 1 vote, even when that head is filled with air instead of brains. Therefore a task for politicians, to explain and not to lie. For me, quite some British politicians belong in jail and not in Parliament.

UNDO... sorry, can not turn the time back, Brexit is a fact. A re-entry might be possible, but alo here, just as an agreement of the special conditions of a departure.. all other 27 EU member states have to agree.

When somebody leave his sports club, big chance his locker is not for him anymore...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, puipuitom said:

at 1) the consequence of democracy and 50% + 1 vote is enough for such an enormous change.

at 2) the consequence of 1 head = 1 vote, even when that head is filled with air instead of brains. Therefore a task for politicians, to explain and not to lie. For me, quite some British politicians belong in jail and not in Parliament.

UNDO... sorry, can not turn the time back, Brexit is a fact. A re-entry might be possible, but alo here, just as an agreement of the special conditions of a departure.. all other 27 EU member states have to agree.

When somebody leave his sports club, big chance his locker is not for him anymore...

When I ask my fellow brexiteers why they are leaving, they usually say to get away from those europeans that are contentious.

BTW, would you swap your Geert Wilders for Jeremy Corbyn. ???

I'd like to try and understand that even though a no deal is becoming more likely, why is everything in the UK good,  employment figures,  output,  investment. The only thing that has suffered  is GBP which can be manipulated......all that scaremongering spouted by the remainers has never come to fruitition. Enlighten me please but not by false leftist  links from the Guardian and it's ilk, true solid facts.