How to get a credit card ?

I am flying Norwegian. ( For my destination, its the cheapest, no other airline even comes close.) The airline ('s website) wants me to pay with "credit card". My two atm/debit cards with visa logo don't work. The web site doesn't explain exactly what they mean with "credit card".

I had a friendly talk with my two banks and they say they can offer me a "proper credit card" with a limit of 10 % of what I have had deposited for some time. Well, in my case that won't buy me a ticket to europe.

So, what to do ?

Is there a chance that the daily purchase limit on your ATM/Debit cards is less than the cost of the tickets.

Not sure about other banks but with Bangkok bank you can change or check the limit by calling their service number. Also if using mobile banking the daily limit is shown for them.

• Like 1

First question: Are you sure your debit card is authorized (by your bank) for online purchases? They are normally not and you have to talk with your bank (for me it was the SCB call center) about opening them for online business

Second, normally banks here will give you a credit card when you deposit twice the limit of the card in a secured account. Secured meaning that you will not get the bank book for that account, the bank will keep it. I had to open a 200K account for a 100K credit limit, I get interest on it (1.x percent) and can use my card (including loading / top-up through e-banking if I need a higher limit)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Second, normally banks here will give you a credit card when you deposit twice the limit of the card in a secured account. Secured meaning that you will not get the bank book for that account, the bank will keep it.

Mean every secured account you not become the bank book for it? I was not aware of that. I always was under the impression, that you need to have some money in a deposit account and then you can have a credit card with a specified limit. But still you become the the bank book.

15 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Mean every secured account you not become the bank book for it? I was not aware of that. I always was under the impression, that you need to have some money in a deposit account and then you can have a credit card with a specified limit. But still you become the the bank book.

That is what SCB did when I got my credit card as a retiree. Yes, in Switzerland they would put a credit limit block on your deposit account, but not here with SCB

May be the airline system had a glitch, or the ATM cards were not activated for online use.

With 100,000B in a fixed deposit account in Bangkok Bank, they gave me  a Visa and a MasterCard credit cards with spending limits at 100,000B total. No annual fees if I charge over 5000B  in the year. To get the 100,000B back i have to cancel the cards and wait 45 days.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1

Kasikorn bank offers a web shopping card to anyone with an account. It's a virtual credit card. Might be worth a look.
Some carriers specifically exclude virtual credit cards for flight purchase as they require sight of the card used for the booking at check-in.

• Like 1

Some carriers specifically exclude virtual credit cards for flight purchase as they require sight of the card used for the booking at check-in.

I think that's usually a requirement.

However paying for things like airline tickets and hotels does not offer the same high level of consumer protections that credit cards do. So always better to use a credit card for such things unless there is no other choice.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

May be the airline system had a glitch, or the ATM cards were not activated for online use.

With 100,000B in a fixed deposit account in Bangkok Bank, they gave me  a Visa and a MasterCard credit cards with spending limits at 100,000B total. No annual fees if I charge over 5000B  in the year. To get the 100,000B back i have to cancel the cards and wait 45 days.

Absolut right. The same like me. And this credit cards are accepted overall unlike as visa debit cards

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/15/2018 at 4:26 AM, Swiss1960 said:

First question: Are you sure your debit card is authorized (by your bank) for online purchases? They are normally not and you have to talk with your bank (for me it was the SCB call center) about opening them for online business

Second, normally banks here will give you a credit card when you deposit twice the limit of the card in a secured account. Secured meaning that you will not get the bank book for that account, the bank will keep it. I had to open a 200K account for a 100K credit limit, I get interest on it (1.x percent) and can use my card (including loading / top-up through e-banking if I need a higher limit)

With SCB you can activate the card with a sms code.. No need to go to the branch. At least I could.

I know the credit card rules.. One can can wonder what the whole point of a credit card is if they want security twice to get one. The debit master from SCB works fine for international online payments anyway.

Most likely you have a Debit card, not a credit card.

You need to understand :

A Visa Credit card has an agreed credit limit which you can use and pay later.

A Visa debit card generally has no credit, it is normally limited to maximum daily withdrawal amount and the amount in your account at that time.

Nearly all "foreigners" and many Thais actually only have a VISA Debit card.

And it is possible you have not requested from your bank  authorisation to use your debit card online, and what is the daily limit?

Edited by Pdavies99

Why do we need a credit card - Simply, because some vendors will not accept online (or over the phone) payment with a Debit Card. For some unknown reason this is particularly the case with a number of airlines as the Op has found out. 

If work permitted with a credit history in Thailand you can get a decent credit card. 

The alternatives are not too attractive and already discussed in this thread, such as the locking in credit. 

One other option for some - You can be the second card holder on your Wife's or Girlfriends credit card. 

This of course only works if your Wife / Girlfriend / Significant other has reasonable, work, credit history and holds a credit card. This shouldn't be an issue for many foreigners in Thailand who are with financially independent partners and is thus a viable option. 

Why do we need a credit card - Simply, because some vendors will not accept online (or over the phone) payment with a Debit Card. For some unknown reason this is particularly the case with a number of airlines as the Op has found out. 

If work permitted with a credit history in Thailand you can get a decent credit card. 

The alternatives are not too attractive and already discussed in this thread, such as the locking in credit. 

One other option for some - You can be the second card holder on your Wife's or Girlfriends credit card. 
This of course only works if your Wife / Girlfriend / Significant other has reasonable, work, credit history and holds a credit card. This shouldn't be an issue for many foreigners in Thailand who are with financially independent partners and is thus a viable option. 

Also some hotels in bangkok don’t accept visa debit cards. I had this experience twice last year. When i wanted to pay with my visa debit card at the reception, staff told me “ sorry this a debit card we accept only credit cards”.
Therefore it makes sense to apply for a thai credit card