Safe or not?

eyecatcher

On 8/16/2018 at 11:34 AM, ThaidDown said:

Sorry, but disagree.  Never seen more than a few volts neutral to earth, except under transformer faults conditions in a TT system.

The majority of the supply network is now MEN where the neutral is bonded to ground about every third pole so the neutral to ground voltage will be almost zero.

The latest PEA wiring regulations call for neutral to be bonded to a nearby earth rod(of specified dimensions, material, depth using large size #10 bonding wire) at every household distribution Board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Both sides are black up here in Khamphaeng Phet province.

It seems here if PEA connect from meter to the house these days they use blue.

At our new build black wire was taken from the house to the post where the meters were going to be fixed & connected by PEA by the electrician, it was lesser charge from PEA because of that being done.

It seems here if PEA connect from meter to the house these days they use blue.
At our new build black wire was taken from the house to the post where the meters were going to be fixed & connected by PEA by the electrician, it was lesser charge from PEA because of that being done.

The blue might designate a heavier gage/service. When we moved into a new place 6-7 years ago and had the service upgraded, the new wire was blue.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The blue might designate a heavier gage/service. When we moved into a new place 6-7 years ago and had the service upgraded, the new wire was blue.

Could be,  what I assumed is what I saw PEA do across road running supply to a house, it's same size as black maybe it's copper instead of ali, can't make it out the picture.

• Like 1

Not sure where this is going regarding wire color.  (?)  Do not assume anything based on a wire's color.

Also, someone posted that the live in the OP photo had been taped.  Really?  My guess would have been that it was removed.  That would be extremely negligent of the PEA to just tape a live main especially if easily accessible.  

On 8/15/2018 at 6:14 PM, Kwasaki said:

?? my Dad was a electrician in the RAF during ww2, a house we moved to had many old sockets with wiring just old, plugging something in and  it not working he would always check by touch I remember him saying, Oh that's 13 amp or that's only 5 amp.

Dunno whether he was pulling my leg but when I touch something by mistake the belt does feel different on amperage.

On the surface it would appear that he was pulling your leg, the current is dependent on the load across the supply and not any inline fuse. In this case the load, or resistance,  is the human body and it was certainly very common for electricians to test with their fingers. They would normally test with two fingers and the current would pass from one finger to the next, the danger comes when the current passes through the chest, either from one hand to the other or from one hand to ground through the feet.

One possibility is that if it was back in the days of round pin sockets then there were 13 amp and 5 amp circuits, the 5 amp sockets had smaller round pins and were wired with a lower current wire, and it was not unknown for people to change 5 amp sockets for the 13 amp. The 5A wire would have had a higher resistance which would have reduced the current through the fingers, so under those circumstances it is not out of the question but personally I would doubt anyone could tell the difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

One possibility is that if it was back in the days of round pin sockets then there were 13 amp and 5 amp circuits, the 5 amp sockets had smaller round pins and were wired with a lower current wire, and it was not unknown for people to change 5 amp sockets for the 13 amp. The 5A wire would have had a higher resistance which would have reduced the current through the fingers, so under those circumstances it is not out of the question but personally I would doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Read on and glad you acknowledge.

In this case the load, or resistance,  is the human body and it was certainly very common for electricians to test with their fingers.

What I was trying get across but some close minded people here think it's nonsense.

• Like 1

On the surface it would appear that he was pulling your leg, the current is dependent on the load across the supply and not any inline fuse. In this case the load, or resistance,  is the human body and it was certainly very common for electricians to test with their fingers. They would normally test with two fingers and the current would pass from one finger to the next, the danger comes when the current passes through the chest, either from one hand to the other or from one hand to ground through the feet.

A bit of advice, never employ a so called electrician who tests the voltage with his fingers. They are not fit to work with electricity

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Not sure where this is going regarding wire color.  (?)  Do not assume anything based on a wire's color.

Also, someone posted that the live in the OP photo had been taped.  Really?  My guess would have been that it was removed.  That would be extremely negligent of the PEA to just tape a live main especially if easily accessible.  

Yes the OP (me) confirmed that the other other two black wires were taped together.

so, is there a main fuse somewhere else on the pole thats been removed aswell

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Could be,  what I assumed is what I saw PEA do across road running supply to a house, it's same size as black maybe it's copper instead of ali, can't make it out the picture.

The blue sheathing covers aluminium cable in this case....which I understood to be only allowed at a height of 2.4m 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, upu2 said:

A bit of advice, never employ a so called electrician who tests the voltage with his fingers. They are not fit to work with electricity

You failed to include the words "in my opinion".

As in many walks of life there are those that know how to use their fingers and those that don't.

• Like 1

As in many walks of life there are those that know how to use their fingers and those that don't.

Actually, if all one knew was whether they did or did not use their fingers, I’d take the one that did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, maxpower said:

The majority of electricity services are connected directly to the overhead supply lines and do not have individual protection that can be easily disconnected. The supply line itself will have over current protection at some point.

When my Mrs goes to markets for 8 -10 days, power is supplied by the usual 2 black cables that run along the front of the erected stalls.

It's all a very Thai professional procedure, they connect the wires from meter supplied by cutting the insulation with a insulated knife while it's still live when you arrive and tape it, to disconnect yank wires quickly.

Sometimes the wire have been used many times and there is tape unsealing in places exposing wire I re-tape them using a rubber glove and insulated pliers.

Nothing to do with my opinion it is a fact you never mess with electricity and definitely don't hire someone who thinks they can. Maybe you, as the all knowing sage, should check out a 415V supply with your fingers. 230 V can be derived from Phase to Neutral otherwise as Phase to Phase it is 415V. Remember it only takes 30mA to kill you. If you are perspiring or wet that figure can be reduced to 20mA.

If you think it is a joke try it and see if you are laughing after it

Evidently you have little knowledge of electricity or you wouldnt come out with such phrases as "in my opinion".

Edited by upu2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, upu2 said:

Evidently you have little knowledge of electricity or you wouldnt come out with such phrases as "in my opinion".

Bloody obvious you don't mess with electricity , nothing wrong with opinions on electrical practices either.

Sounds like you have little knowledge of electrical phases never mind phrases.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Bloody obvious you don't mess with electricity , nothing wrong with opinions on electrical practices either.

Sounds like you have little knowledge of electrical phases never mind phrases.

Using your finger to test the voltage is wrong, very wrong. I do have little knowledge which is why I work on voltages up to 220KV. You are obviously a person who has no knowledge of electricity other than turning a switch on. If you are going to criticize make sure your criticisms are justified instead of going on the offensive without any knowledge whatsoever

• Sad 1