Bank Balance Doesn't Count In Bangkok For Non O ?

Here is another tale of confusion --

I am legally married to a Thai wife and now have 2 houses here. I'm self employed, aged 57yrs. Given a 90 day non-O visa from East Timor June 05. Went for extension at Bangkok Immigration - extended until July 2006 after providing marriage, house documents and police check. Fee - 2100 baht. Visa run to Cambodia -one month visa prior to returning to Australia -Sept 06.

Returned to Thailand Jan. 07. Due to airline problems and not reading this forum didn't get a non O in Brisbane before I left. Given a 30 day stamp on 9 Jan at airport. Now, this is the interesting bit. Went back to Immigration Bangkok last Monday, 5/2/07. to ask for multiple entry non O. Sent upstairs R303. They said their office could only give me a 90 day visa (2000 baht). But, my wife would have to go to the marriage bureau where we were married to pget proof that we were both single when we were married ?? Fortunately we were married in Bangkok registry. So went there - surprise surprise no fee for documents , only photocopies- very helpful -some digs at immigration. Back to immigration R 303. Fee paid Passport stamped with a new O visa, but red stamp across it saying USED ? Also a second stamp with non O on it saying I can stay until 5 May 07.

Then, they said to me that I could go downstairs and try NOW! for a one year Multiple entry non O (1900baht)because we lived so far from Bangkok (Nakhon Sawan). I thought this was a bit strange as I'd just been given the 90 day visa. Anyway went downstairs, with bank letter and passbook if needed, and all other documents. Asked about 1yr non O. -Do you have income from job - no but I have more than 400,000 baht in a Thai bank. -Doesn't matter! -must have income. But I'm married have 2 houses and more than 400,000 baht etc etc. By now - struggling to get a grip on oneself. 'You over 50 yes - you don't have enough for retirement visa.! I dont want a retirement visa?! decide to retreat -Left office exhausted.

Some questions:

1. If you are married to a Thai, and have more than 400,000 in a Thai Bank do you need an income as well to get a one year multiple O non immigrant visa?

2. Maybe its easier for me to put 800,000 baht in the bank and get a retirement visa here. Do I still need income as well, as I'm of course not old enough yet to get a pension from Australia ?

3. I assume retirement means you cannot work for someone else, but can I have a business - in my wife's name ??

I need help ! -any advice appreciated. I am trying very hard to work on my bureacracy tolerance level .

Tim

forgive me if i ramble but i'm not completly clear on the picture, however i would say what they don't know wont hurt them.

as i understand it your wife is your sponsor, hence show some sort of monthly depsosit in her bank that proves that she has a monthly income.

retirement visa requires an income as well something like 65k (not sure) per mo.

back to the O tell them you have an income from your home country from investments or freelance work. or better yet as you get multiple entries tell them you leave to go earn money.

if you get a sympathetic immigration officer s/he will help you when they prepare your diary.

money in the bank does count.

Since October 1st 2006 you can no longer get a year extension based on marriage with 400,000 in the bank . You must show a monthly income of 40,000 Baht. This can be yours , hers or a combination of both.

To get it based on retirement you need 800,000 Baht in the bank. Or a monthly income of 65,000 I think this would be the best option for you if you have the money.

Be aware that both these sums of money must be in the bank for 3 months before you apply.

Since October 1st 2006 you can no longer get a year extension based on marriage with 400,000 in the bank . You must show a monthly income of 40,000 Baht. This can be yours , hers or a combination of both.

To get it based on retirement you need 800,000 Baht in the bank. Or a monthly income of 65,000 I think this would be the best option for you if you have the money.

Be aware that both these sums of money must be in the bank for 3 months before you apply.

From all the investigation I have done of income made in Thailand (your's, your wife's, or a combination of both to make 40K per month) you will have to provide evidence of this via monthly withholding tax receipts.

Even though I am "grandfathered" into the old system (400K is still an option) I am currently setting my wife up with an income of 45K per month & paying monthly tax on that. I am doing this to hedge against anything that may possibly come up when I go to see immigration for a my one year extension in a couple of moths time.

Soundman.

I do not know what you obtained for 2,100 baht but all extensions of stay cost 1,900 baht and do not require a police check. As for current situation you received the correct answers by Immigration.

1. You do not obtain a multi entry non immigrant visa inside Thailand. That can only be obtained from a Consulate and few will issue that type these days other than in your home country. Singapore will currently issue with proof of marriage and bank account of at least 400k. But you seem to be confused between visa and extension of stay. An extension of stay for one year can be obtained from Immigration with proof of family 40k per month income. It used to be available for 400k bank deposit but not since October last year. But the 400k bank deposit can still be used to obtain the change of visa (which you just did).

2. Retirement extension of stay (not visa) is easier. Only proof of 800k in bank account here for 3 months is required.

3. You can not obtain a work permit so you can not work.

If your wife is working in a business and paying tax on 40k per month or more that can be used to obtain one year extension of stay with three months of tax receipts available.

I do not know what you obtained for 2,100 baht but all extensions of stay cost 1,900 baht and do not require a police check.
Change of visa is 2,000 Baht and extension of stay is 1,900 Baht.

If you are married to a Thai, and have more than 400,000 in a Thai Bank do you need an income as well to get a one year multiple O non immigrant visa?

No for the visa obtained outside Thailand. Yes for the extension of stay permit

2. Maybe its easier for me to put 800,000 baht in the bank and get a retirement visa here. Do I still need income as well, as I'm of course not old enough yet to get a pension from Australia ?

No

3. I assume retirement means you cannot work for someone else, but can I have a business - in my wife's name ??

Yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Even though I am "grandfathered" into the old system (400K is still an option) I am currently setting my wife up with an income of 45K per month & paying monthly tax on that. I am doing this to hedge against anything that may possibly come up when I go to see immigration for a my one year extension in a couple of moths time.

Tread carefully on that, Soundman. If you show Immigration the evidence of monthly income they may extend you on that basis and then you are no longer “grandfathered”, cannot later return to extension based on 400k in the bank.

--

Maestro