University finds improved corruption situation in Thailand

webfact

University finds improved corruption situation in Thailand

uttc.jpg

BANGKOK, 17th August 2018 (NNT) - The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC) has found that corruption in Thailand is tending to decrease, judging from the latest corruption index published by the university. The index in June 2018 shows the most improvement in eight years. 

The Director of the UTCC's Centre for Business and Economic Forecasting, Dr. Thanavath Phonvichai, said the Thai Corruption Situation Index (CSI) in June 2018 improved to 55 from 52 in December with a tendency to further increase to 57. The academic said the improved index was the result of anti-corruption efforts of the government and private sectors as well as greater public awareness. 

He said the Thai CSI has been improving for the past four years since the index was first compiled in 2010. This reflects that Thai people are more aware of corruption and disapprove of it. 

Mr. Thanavath added that Thai people are still concerned about corruption but hope that the problem will improve next year. They also want the government to be determined to tackle corruption and to enforce anti-corruption laws strictly.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-17
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

They also want the government to tackle corruption and strictly enforce corruption laws.

How do they expect the most corrupt people in the country to tackle corruption?

corruptly??

• Like 2

I found the headline to be quite confusing. There was I agreeing that the situation for corruption had certainly improved in Thailand. A failed NACC, military arms deals with no oversight, a parliament of willing stooges etc. And then I read down to find that someone truly believes corruption is being tackled. This from a university connected to the activity of commerce, people who surely know all about commissions and hand-outs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

University finds improved corruption situation in Thailand...............................

Yep, well done the university, but I think it depends how you read the headline.

For me, I believe that corruption has improved, by going deeper and harder to find. When it is found, in certain areas (or has a likelihood of being found) it now appears to fall under the umbrella of Article 44 to deal with pesky investigations and investigators who don't bow to instructions outside their independent organizations.

Wish there were hard figures about this I would love to know for sure if its getting better or worse. I do know that if the junta does something corrupt it will be hard to investigate / prosecute. I now find the PTP the least bad (realistic) option for a future government, but only because sometimes their corruption gets investigated and punished. 

I hope that future forward gets a big voting base (they said they are anti corruption but I have been fooled before)

I like this .Only in Thailand can a university find a way to improve their corruption. You know that after all these years here I do believe that there must be a Study Major of "The fine arts of Corruption in Governments"..I am sure that there are several countries in the world that have had their leaders gaining a Doctorate in this subject.

They havent been to kanchanaburi then or any other province for that matter.

Clearly nobody is willing to actually tackle corruption. So, if these fools are real can i get a work permit and a sidearm and ill takle corruption.

It's obvious that Thainess means no respect for the country or the people that reside or the many tourists and expats that probably care more than they.

Corruption is WORSE! Ive lived all over Thailand for a very long time and greed and corrruption is definatley worse. Once upon a time it was considered evil and shun with regards to  people ive known and met but now its sort of cool to be a greedy imoral corrupt pig scammer. What happened to the death penalty for corruption that wae a news story oh so long ago? If implemented the country would be cleaner in a heart beat.

I think businesses are less corrupt (in terms of abiding by regulations, and hiring legit workers), police taking less bribes, civil offices that works with businesses are also a little better. BUT those folks in top positions running the country are still the same, untouchable. But its a small step forward when those at lower levels are improving a little. Still a long way to go.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

They also want the government to tackle corruption and strictly enforce corruption laws.

How do they expect the most corrupt people in the country to tackle corruption?

Simple, they will tackle other peoples corruption. Theirs is beneficial corruption and not a problem. :tongue:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The academic said the improved index was the result of anti-corruption efforts of the government 

" We fully agree with the index " ..

IMG_20180817_094436.jpg

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp

15 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the Thai CSI has been improving for the past four years since the index was first compiled in 2010. This reflects that Thai people are more aware of corruption and disapprove of it.

What a complete load of crap. Thais have always been aware of it and have always disapproved. Thais are more aware now because there's more of it. NOT LESS.?

27b47069b6212c0efcfcc55b52f4e94d.jpeg