Pattaya makes effort to reinforce beach smoking ban

Rimmer

Pattaya makes effort to reinforce beach smoking ban

image.png

PATTAYA:-- Pattaya officials once again began warning tourists they can only light up in designated areas on Pattaya and Dongtan beaches.

Municipal enforcement chief Pol. Maj. Jeerawat Sukontasap led officers and Environment Department staffers to Pattaya Beach Aug. 9 after a flurry of press reports showed the shoreline littered with cigarette butts and not an enforcement officer in sight.

After walking the beach and chatting with sun worshippers, the city hall officials pronounced the beach smoke-free and returned to their offices.

Beach chair vendor Saranya Yingyodrum said most tourists had complied with the smoking ban, but some still lit up, even after she put chairs in smoking zones.

Speedboat operator Natpatchana Hongyon said guests headed to Koh Larn also often began smoking on the beach, but tour guides told them about fines, which could run up to 100,000 baht.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-makes-effort-reinforce-beach-smoking-ban-219291

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-08-17
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, champers said:

Plenty of power boat operators and their staff smoking and dropping their butts on the prom. Most tourists seem to be complying but a lack of signage warning of penalties means many light up unaware they are doing wrong.

Yes you are right it is the thais fault again

Those darling innocent tourists couldnt possibly be at fault.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Yes you are right it is the thais fault again

Those darling innocent tourists couldnt possibly be at fault.

No agenda on my part, anti Thai or pro tourist. I am just saying what I see. I guess a tourist has no wish to be fined and some Thais know they will never be fined.

9 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Smokers are going the way of the Dodo Bird. Fewer and fewer of them every year.

From Wikipedia : 
Smoking in China is prevalent, as the People's Republic of China is the world's largest consumer and producer of tobacco.
There are 350 million Chinese smokers, and China produces 42% of the world's cigarettes.

I would imagine 1% of them visit Pattaya.

All I can say thank god Thais don't smoke. Just those filthy farang tourist do. Yeah, I notice also when Thais have a bit of rubbish they want to throw away they make sure it goes in the bin. Somehow they remind how clean their habits are  by comparing them to Singapore

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Smokers are going the way of the Dodo Bird. Fewer and fewer of them every year.

Not in Pattaya where they are increasing Everywhere you look some sorry tub of sh#t smoking. All these Asian males smoke: the hapless Chinese, oblivious Koreans and lowlife locals. Then about 60 percent of Caucasian visitors smoke. Including these sorry overweight couples around. 

• Like 1

Not in Pattaya where they are increasing Everywhere you look some sorry tub of sh#t smoking. All these Asian males smoke: the hapless Chinese, oblivious Koreans and lowlife locals. Then about 60 percent of Caucasian visitors smoke. Including these sorry overweight couples around. 

If your a close observer , it soon becomes clear Chinese Males are given a wide berth by the Enforcers, cant blame them the commotion they cause when annoyed.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, balo said:

From Wikipedia : 
Smoking in China is prevalent, as the People's Republic of China is the world's largest consumer and producer of tobacco.
There are 350 million Chinese smokers, and China produces 42% of the world's cigarettes.

I would imagine 1% of them visit Pattaya.

Yes you are right only 1percent of 350 million Chinese Smokers visit Pattaya .If more than 3.5 percent Chinese tourists(smokers & non smokers) visit Pattaya all hotels will be booked up even those small hotels would be book up. And the "Farang Death" get very busy, because every  2 week one chinese flew over the balcony. Every 8 days one chinese drown in the sea. Every 10 days one chinese who rent a motorbike got run over by some pick up truck.( have you seen how they ride motor bikes in china?)

3.5 percent of one billion population is a big figure for a small little place called Pattaya.

You can make table for these sort of statistic. I thought some french mathematician already made one of these tables in late 18 century . Forgot his name .

sorry what is worst 

cigarette butts or plastic on beach and in water 

it is fun ,it seems as Thai people really don't see the plastic but almost falling over a cigarette butt and get a accident 

please Thailand you complaining about tourists smoking but tourists complaining about Thai people dumb their garbish 

what about do something about that 

remember don't hurt the tourists meaby they will stop coming to this first class family resort 

On 8/17/2018 at 3:55 PM, johng said:

In another thread..the people charged with enforcement of this (ridiculous) law have admitted they can't fine people 100,000 baht....more like 2000.

The bigger penalties here are for the life threatening and ecologically devastating vaping. Meanwhile, in the UK this week...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/aug/17/relaxing-e-cigarette-laws-would-cut-smoking-deaths-say-mps

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

sorry what is worst 

cigarette butts or plastic on beach and in water 

it is fun ,it seems as Thai people really don't see the plastic but almost falling over a cigarette butt and get a accident 

please Thailand you complaining about tourists smoking but tourists complaining about Thai people dumb their garbish 

what about do something about that 

remember don't hurt the tourists meaby they will stop coming to this first class family resort 

Right the butt bit is nothing compared to the assorted plastic / garbage / and debris like that golf bag size chunk of concrete with jagged rusty iron bars in front of soi6.Has been there over a year??? So another ridiculous sign along beach along with all the others e.g. traffic control zone, no motorbikes. And this latest bs, does nothing except move the smoke closer to Beach "Walk"

1 hour ago, pattayadgw said:

Forget the smoking on the beaches.... how about they 'reinforce the beaches' to stop losing all that beautiful sand that cost a fortune ?

" They " No kan-doo. That would require foreign engineers specializing in coastal erosion. 

After walking the beach and chatting with sun worshippers, the city hall officials pronounced the beach smoke-free and returned to their offices.

Rather like they declared Walking Street prostitution free or that there is no mafia in Patong huh? Love the way these officials nonchalantly declare something like this is in such a matter-of-fact way and disappear as if they are the final word on everything...classic

It wasn't long ago that I walked down beach road very early in the morning where hundreds of far east tourists were waiting to board the speed boats but could not because they were being filled with petrol from 25 litre plastic containers, the very strong smell of the fumes was everywhere and it dawned on me that's probably why the smoking ban was introduced in the first place, after all nobody smokes at a filling station.