Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, elliss said:

I know the feeling  mate , 

How  can we buy gold on our pension , i can barley afford to buy bread .

Fyi ,    bread on discount  at big C, after 8 pm, see you there for a cuppa.

My nearest BigC is 65 km away or 1 hours drive each way.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, robblok said:

Whenever I read about the pound and Brexit I imagine Mel Gibson waving his big sword and shouting BREXIT. (i know the Guy is American and the movie is about Scottish freedom). Anyway that image always comes up to mind.

I wonder how many of the Brexit supporters (expats) would still support Brexit at 38 to the pound.

Horrors. I thought Gibson is Australian, so I googled and he is an American. Moved to Australia at 12.

38 is easily lived on as long as one keeps the money for extensions in the bank, and either has a fund for insurance or goes without. So long as one doesn't want to live the life of a rich expat. Thais live on 9,000 a month.

The early century was brilliant, as the exchange rate was high and inflation hadn't yet happened.

9 hours ago, elliss said:

I know the feeling  mate , 

How  can we buy gold on our pension , i can barley afford to buy bread .

Fyi ,    bread on discount  at big C, after 8 pm, see you there for a cuppa.

Eat rice instead. Thais do. Cheap as.

Further collapse in Sterling overnight and this morning.....Cartel rates at airport now 35.88 or they were slightly earlier.....38.39 at best exchanges in Pattaya.....37.xx at all the banks

57 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Further collapse in Sterling overnight and this morning.....Cartel rates at airport now 35.88 or they were slightly earlier.....38.39 at best exchanges in Pattaya.....37.xx at all the banks

I have just looked at the KBank TT rate and it is 38.30605. At 10 am this morning it was 38.41086. dropped 11 satang which is hardly a collapse.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

38.72 Transferwise.

No way back to the UK, I've just been looking at programs about homelessness in the UK, it's heartbreaking, families with kids left to their own devices, local services overwhelmed. If I was in trouble I would try Cambodia for a while until/if things improve and try to support my family in Thailand. If it got so that I couldn't get the 65,000 a month I would hope to maybe change my visa to looking after my Thai child (40,000) I'm not married to my partner as I'm already married to my estranged wife, who knows, worrying times indeed.

36 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have just looked at the KBank TT rate and it is 38.30605. At 10 am this morning it was 38.41086. dropped 11 satang which is hardly a collapse.

lol none of what I said was TT rates....cash at airport cash at TT yellow exchanges and cash at all the banks

On 8/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, Joinaman said:

lowest pension of 269 pounds ?

most people i know, me included, get the state pension of 164 pounds

Me to, full state pension £168.00 a week please please tell me they have been underpaying me for the last 5 years, just thinking allowed if one had no savings and returned back to the Uk you would be in for a maximum benefit claim, just to save the trolls the time, i have never claimed a penny in my life, but if i return to the UK i will be on the case

2 hours ago, Almer said:

Me to, full state pension £168.00 a week please please tell me they have been underpaying me for the last 5 years, just thinking allowed if one had no savings and returned back to the Uk you would be in for a maximum benefit claim, just to save the trolls the time, i have never claimed a penny in my life, but if i return to the UK i will be on the case

Crikey you get that much and do you live on your own and you ust have some savings then?

55 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I can only dream of 168 Pounds a week. After paying in for 36 years i get 137 Pounds a week, less 20% tax.

You don't pay tax on the state pension, it's below the minimum allowance.

You only pay tax on additional pensions that take you above the taxable allowance.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

I can only dream of 168 Pounds a week. After paying in for 36 years i get 137 Pounds a week, less 20% tax.

I don't get 168 from UK gov pension but more than 137 and don't pay any tax on a gov pension.

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You don't pay tax on the state pension, it's below the minimum allowance.

You only pay tax on additional pensions that take you above the taxable allowance.

If you already have income above the taxable allowance you pay full 20% tax on the State pension.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

If you already have income above the taxable allowance you pay full 20% tax on the State pension.

That is not correct according to HMRC. If you have more than one pension including the state pension HMRC puts the state pension first (at £168 x 53 weeks comes to £8,904). As the personal allowance for 2019 -20 is £12,500 it gives you another £3,596 of tax free income before you pay income tax.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-personal-allowance-and-basic-rate-limit-from-2019-to-2020/income-tax-personal-allowance-and-basic-rate-limit-from-2019-20

This measure increases the Personal Allowance to £12,500 for 2019 to 2020. The basic rate limit will be increased to £37,500 for 2019 to 2020. As a result, the higher rate threshold will be £50,000 in 2019 to 2020.

This measure will set the Personal Allowance at £12,500, and the basic rate limit at £37,500 for 2020 to 2021. The higher rate threshold will be £50,000 in 2020 to 2021.

From 2021 to 2022 onwards, the Personal Allowance and basic rate limit will be indexed with the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

I think the simplest way to say this is Take total income (any source) take off your 12,500 pounds tax allowance and what's left is taxed at 20%.

Which is exactly how it works, I got my tax code recently it shows the new Personal Allowance of £12,500 and then it deducts my State Pension and the balance is the new code, everything above that figure is taxed at the approriate rate. 

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

I think the simplest way to say this is Take total income (any source) take off your 12,500 pounds tax allowance and what's left is taxed at 20%.

That is not correct according to HMRC. If you have more than one pension including the state pension HMRC puts the state pension first, therefore The state pension becomes non taxable. Any more pensions you have are tax free and combined with your state pension UP TO your personal tax allowance. Once the personal allowance for 2019 -20 is £12,500 it gives you the balance of your personal allowance as tax free income before you pay income tax.

DWP not HMRC (my apologies :sorry:) are the people who pay your state pension and HMRC are the ones that determine how much tax you actually pay and on which pension.

I have 3 pensions.

State pension tax free

Military pension is the one that is adjusted for the tax allowance.

Company pension is taxed at the BR of 20%

On 7/4/2019 at 6:40 AM, john west said:

Crikey you get that much and do you live on your own and you ust have some savings then?

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't get 168 from UK gov pension but more than 137 and don't pay any tax on a gov pension.

Lucky you. Mine has been frozen  for 13 years at 104 pounds a week after paying tax / NI for 41 years.

40 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Which is exactly how it works, I got my tax code recently it shows the new Personal Allowance of £12,500 and then it deducts my State Pension and the balance is the new code, everything above that figure is taxed at the approriate rate. 

Why would you pay tax in the UK if you don't live there? I get a good German pension paid into a German bank but since I have nothing in Germany except my bank account I pay no tax, I get a British pension as well but have never filled out a tax form, the British pension is only small but together with the German income my income would be taxable, since everything is so interconnected these days HMRC is certainly aware of my German pension and bank account in Germany but it could be that my German pension comes under German tax law and not British

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

Lucky you. Mine has been frozen  for 13 years at 104 pounds a week after paying tax / NI for 41 years.

Yeah never expected more than basic UK in 2012 I was in and of serps etc and other stuff in the Maggie years and I got 2 additional lump sums added on.

I did 42 years in UK NI & tax also super tax.

Archived