Kasikorn - withdrawing cash over the counter from overseas Visa debit card

Currently a customer of Kasikorn. Wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to withdraw cash over the counter at one of their branch using a foreign Visa debit card. Reason for this is that ATMs have a ridiculously low 30k limit and high fees, especially if doing it multiple times to get the desired amount of cash needed. If so:

1. Are there any fees for doing this?

2. Is there a maximum amount that can withdrawed at the counter?

3. Will they use the Visa exchange rate?

I don't know about the withdrawing cash at Kasikorn part but I do know you can use your Visa Debit card at most places to actually pay for things... 7 Eleven being an example..  avoid the ridiculous 220 baht ATM fee.   I hardly pay for anything with cash now, Lloyds bank only charges 50p + 2.99% on the purchase so it works out only 70p odd on 1000 baht

Hardly any information about this online but me and wife chanced it a few times at shops to learn  ? 

Anywhere that says they accept Visa should accept payment via debit card otherwise they are probably lying/or too dumb to know..I haven't tried it at bars and wouldn't like to as me and my wife don't drink

I have a Thai bank account but use the Paypal route to transfer money to that...Transferwise still resulted in the 500 baht fee when I tried it

3 hours ago, richiejom said:

I don't know about the withdrawing cash at Kasikorn part but I do know you can use your Visa Debit card at most places to actually pay for things... 7 Eleven being an example..  avoid the ridiculous 220 baht ATM fee.

Is there a minimum purchase amount? Does 7 Eleven also accept payment via a foreign credit card too?

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Is there a minimum purchase amount? Does 7 Eleven also accept payment via a foreign credit card too?

Minimum amount is 300 baht I think, I haven't tried lower just in case.    Yes they take foreign Visa Credit and Debit.  You insert your card in the Card Terminal, you don't even need to enter your pin, then they hand you the slip to sign.

Look out for the credit card logos outside 7 Eleven on the window

5 hours ago, richiejom said:

Lloyds bank only charges 50p + 2.99% on the purchase so it works out only 70p odd on 1000 baht

And you think loosing more than 3% is a good deal??

Also I can't reproduce your 70p on 1000 Baht.

3% of 1000 Baht is 30 Baht ~ 0.71 GPB + 0.50 GBP = 1.21 GPB for 1000.

2.99%, much worse than banks that I know (1.75%) and much worse than ATM withdraw of 30k for 220 Baht (assuming your home bank does not add to that which is true for me).

220/30000 = 0.73%.

I also don't see why this is "ridiculous" compared to other methods.

Home bank: many banks will charge high like you described for CC purchases.

But either less or no charge for ATM use.

So I disagree much with your suggestion.

I keep my foreign Visa cards for emergencies. Ditto my local Kasikorn debit card. I transfer a lump sum for a year's living expenses into a Thai bank account, which costs me $30 ( AUD ).

In Australia, I pay for everything with my Visa card. Here, I pay for everything in cash, withdrawn from a savings passbook.

Why the difference? Because in Thailand, IMHO, the probability of being scammed or skimmed is so much higher, and getting recourse after the fact would be a nightmare.

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I keep my foreign Visa cards for emergencies. Ditto my local Kasikorn debit card. I transfer a lump sum for a year's living expenses into a Thai bank account, which costs me $30 ( AUD ).

In Australia, I pay for everything with my Visa card. Here, I pay for everything in cash, withdrawn from a savings passbook.

Why the difference? Because in Thailand, IMHO, the probability of being scammed or skimmed is so much higher, and getting recourse after the fact would be a nightmare.

How would you have your card skimmed in the 7 Eleven?   the clerks don't even touch your card you insert it in the reader and take it out after it starts beeping.

Even Thai banks have those nasty yearly fees of 500-1500 baht here and there... less fumbling around with change at the 7 Eleven where they have a habit of getting the change wrong as well

I only transfer large amounts to my Thai banks when I have to pay for rent/visa or something. 

1 minute ago, richiejom said:

How would you have your card skimmed in the 7 Eleven?   the clerks don't even touch your card you insert it in the reader and take it out after it starts beeping.

Even Kasikorn and Krung Thai have those nasty yearly fees of 500-1500 baht here and there... less fumbling around with change at the 7 Eleven where they have a habit of getting the change wrong as well

I only transfer large amounts to my Thai banks when I have to pay for rent/visa or something. 

Well, they don't touch the card but they sure as hell can instal a skimmer on the card reader between 11 pm and 7 am. Child's play to someone who knows what they are doing.

The majority of times ( pretty rare ) I've had incorrect change at a 7/11, I've been giving some back because they gave me too much.

My debit card with Kasikorn costs me 250 baht a year. My foreign Visa cards cost me nothing. My Thai savings passbooks cost me nothing. Withdrawals cost me nothing in my home province.

Do it your way. Just don't come bleating on TV when you can't recover what's been stolen from you.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Well, they don't touch the card but they sure as hell can instal a skimmer on the card reader between 11 pm and 7 am. 

7/11 is 24 hours.. I'm sure the security cam is watching them 24/7

Not saying your way is wrong, probably your way is safer than using card for everything... I only made my reply because most people don't know they can use their foreign debit card out and about here

1 minute ago, richiejom said:

7/11 is 24 hours.. I'm sure the security cam is watching them 24/7

Not saying your way is wrong, probably your way is safer than using card for everything... I only made my reply because most people don't know they can use their foreign debit card out and about here

The 7/11's at major gasoline stations are open 24 hours. Two in my area close at 11 pm on the dot.

Possibly you are right about the security cameras; however, they can be fiddled too.

12 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Currently a customer of Kasikorn. Wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to withdraw cash over the counter at one of their branch using a foreign Visa debit card. Reason for this is that ATMs have a ridiculously low 30k limit and high fees, especially if doing it multiple times to get the desired amount of cash needed. If so:

1. Are there any fees for doing this?

2. Is there a maximum amount that can withdrawed at the counter?

3. Will they use the Visa exchange rate?

Funny you should ask this question as I just did the research on this the other day and hope it helps.

1. 200 baht

2.150,000 baht

3. Yes

No to be honest, I didn't actually do it, I went into the Udon Thani branch in Central Plaza and questions 1 to 3 were asked exactly the way you asked and the answers were exactly the way I typed them above.

Having said that, the next day I drove to Sakon Nakhon to do my 90 days and went into the Robinson shopping centre and asked the same question and was told a totally different story, as per below:

1. 3%

2. 150,000 baht

3. I forgot to ask to be honest as I queried 1 and showed her the banks schedule of fees and she backed down and said oh yes for debit its 220 baht (which is wrong), its 200 baht, for both debit and credit card, but add 3% on top of that for the credit card, and it's the banks exchange rate, not the visa rate, the visa rate is only applied on the debit card, refer to below:

image.png.4209a978b1a99e9eb239af16ed1146e1.png

I am sure there is another up to date version of the above but as the girl confirmed it at Udon Thani, I would say its pretty much the same.

Always check with the branch staff when you go in and confirm 1 to 3, no doubt your country bank that issued you the debit card will also charge you, so if you can maximise your withdrawal it will save you $ in the long run.

OP, this may be of help;

If you from UK then get yourself a Halifax Clarity Mastercard, this card charges no international transaction fees you just pay the daily Mastercard x rate so is one of the best cards to use overseas I use it for all my daily shopping in LOS at stores etc. I then just settle my card account online so no interest charges, the mastercard x rate is not too bad overall

Cash I bring in Sterling and exchange at the best rates I can find in country and then drop into my Thai account (like you I use Kasikorn) The bank rates are not as good as you can find around town so I never use the bank to do straight exchanges.

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

OP, this may be of help;

If you from UK then get yourself a Halifax Clarity Mastercard, this card charges no international transaction fees you just pay the daily Mastercard x rate so is one of the best cards to use overseas I use it for all my daily shopping in LOS at stores etc. I then just settle my card account online so no interest charges, the mastercard x rate is not too bad overall

Cash I bring in Sterling and exchange at the best rates I can find in country and then drop into my Thai account (like you I use Kasikorn) The bank rates are not as good as you can find around town so I never use the bank to do straight exchanges.

i have same card, only use it for cash at the bank not ATM, pay-off card a couple of days after the transaction,      minimal charge,  75p  on  60000 baht last trip.

???

everyone has their own way, I suppose.

i have a krungsri account... (debit jad hai card)... 400 bt set up ( plus 200 bt for card).... no ongoing fees anywhere.

i transfer money from Oz.... in AUD ($12) to Thailand, and let the Thai bank use the day rate to convert ( last time in Oz, I withdrew 10,000 aud to change on the street here... not worth the hassle for a few baht gain, imo)

But yes, anyone will give you cash on your foreign account... (krungsri do 50k bt per go, or used to, before I opened a local account)

my view.... internet transfer to a thai bank... use thai atm card ?

On 8/23/2018 at 8:45 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Funny you should ask this question as I just did the research on this the other day and hope it helps.

1. 200 baht

2.150,000 baht

3. Yes

No to be honest, I didn't actually do it, I went into the Udon Thani branch in Central Plaza and questions 1 to 3 were asked exactly the way you asked and the answers were exactly the way I typed them above.

Having said that, the next day I drove to Sakon Nakhon to do my 90 days and went into the Robinson shopping centre and asked the same question and was told a totally different story, as per below:

1. 3%

2. 150,000 baht

3. I forgot to ask to be honest as I queried 1 and showed her the banks schedule of fees and she backed down and said oh yes for debit its 220 baht (which is wrong), its 200 baht, for both debit and credit card, but add 3% on top of that for the credit card, and it's the banks exchange rate, not the visa rate, the visa rate is only applied on the debit card, refer to below:

image.png.4209a978b1a99e9eb239af16ed1146e1.png

I am sure there is another up to date version of the above but as the girl confirmed it at Udon Thani, I would say its pretty much the same.

Always check with the branch staff when you go in and confirm 1 to 3, no doubt your country bank that issued you the debit card will also charge you, so if you can maximise your withdrawal it will save you $ in the long run.

Just to be clear, is your post and the fee chart above regarding..

--Kasikorn, the green bank

--Krungthai, the light blue bank

or --Krungsri, the yellow bank?

The thieving bastards charge you whether using ATM or over the counter. You should know better than to ask, this is Thailand Land of Scams and thieves. One of only a few countries in the world to charge at ATMs Ali Barbar got nothing on this mob.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just to be clear, is your post and the fee chart above regarding..

--Kasikorn, the green bank

--Krungthai, the light blue bank

or --Krungsri, the yellow bank?

Krungsri, just noticed the post was regarding Kasikorn, so its Krungsri bank regarding my reply, will send bbi1 a PM ro confirm my bad, thanks for picking that up TallGuyJohninBKK

On 8/23/2018 at 2:37 PM, Lacessit said:

I used my Thai ATM card in central America few times. Shortly after that, I saw 2 charges done in south America in a place I've never been to. Called the number on the back of the card. They asked my permission to cancel it on the spot so it can't be used again. I agreed of course. About 2 weeks later the charges were cancelled and the amount was back in my bank

If you are from Australia:

If you are with ING bank and meet the conditions, :

• atm withdrawals from everyday account they refund the 220 B and their $2.50 fee.
  • Visa debit purchases they refund the international transaction fee.

28 degrees mastercard credit card has no transaction fees.

17 hours ago, Lokie said:

OP, this may be of help;

The Halifax Clarity Mastercard is the No 1 UK credit card for people travelling abroad. 

I can walk into a bank with my passport and withdraw large amounts of cash at the counter with no fees. I have withdrawn 100,000 from Bangkok bank & 80,000 from Krungsi, both free of charge. I then deposit the cash into my Thai bank account. 

The card uses the Mastercard rate, which is better than most exchange bureau's in Pattaya. 

The card charges no fee's for foreign transactions.

I pay the balance online as soon as the transaction hits my account. If I leave it a few days, it's still only pennies.

My Thai account with Bangkok bank, charges no annual fee's for my debit card, so overall I can transfer money from UK to Thailand for free.  

1. Are there any fees for doing this? - Bangkok bank/Krungsi No, Siam Yes.

2. Is there a maximum amount that can withdrawed at the counter? Unsure but 5000 is minimum.

3. Will they use the Visa exchange rate? Yes

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Which is more secure, customer enters PIN, or Mickey Mouse signs the slip?

Actually now I think about it using my card at 7 Eleven is probably more secure than using the ATM all the time because theres less chance of a skimming device being added to the card terminal in store than an ATM in open air/exposed to everyone (East European skimming gangs etc etc)

Archived