Pantip Plaza - almost empty

OneMoreFarang

Much harder now days for electronics/computer stores and repair shops to make a profit when things can be bought cheaper online, delivered so quickly, and not likely to require any repair.   Or when it comes to repair, more people now days seem to be in the mindset to just bin an item and buy a new one before the old one has a chance to break/go obsolete.   Instead, just gotta have that new model that comes out yearly.  And other than maybe buying that new smartphone at mall store they instead go online to buy that "gotta have new model."

In every Thai mall the number of electronics/computer stores & shops is rapidly decreasing....their prime time has passed.  Some will always exist and be profitable; it's just there will be a lot fewer of them.

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:

you should enter your photos in the upcoming photo competion it sure stoked up alot of emotion.

Maybe I should take my old SLR camera out with 17mm lens. That will make it look a lot more dramatic.

But I am not sure if there is still a shop around which sells films and develops them...

Pantip2.png.83e697349401d0d60f859354479f367c.png

image.png.c3bcd0f7e824dbd1a65971d929600174.png

The second photo I took in June 2017 so not a lot going on even then.

Zeer IT is the same when it comes to large vacant areas. Now they have a wider range of shops so the whole mall is much busier than Panthip due to having more restaurants, three food courts, a supermarket and a Monday night market. People use their phones more, desktops and laptops less.

Sim Lim Square in Singapore also has many unoccupied shops and is nowhere as busy  as it once was. So much more retail happening online with fewer bricks and mortar stores. Fortune is still busy as it is next to the MRT and also has more food options and a large Tesco, so lots of foot traffic that places like Panthip miss out on a bit.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:28 AM, Pib said:

In every Thai mall the number of electronics/computer stores & shops is rapidly decreasing....their prime time has passed.  Some will always exist and be profitable; it's just there will be a lot fewer of them.

I was in Tuckom Khon Kaen a few days ago;

it's like a desert ;

sure it's the same everywhere in Thailand, not only Panthip in Bangkok .

That one escalator that went up to the big store at the very top floor: nothing on either side of, and a five-story drop beneath it.  Always looked like a set-up for a disaster, especially when viewed from below. 

One thing I appreciated about the place was the men's bathrooms, never had to deal with anyone who was in there to, er, socialize.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:57 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not sure if there is still a shop around which sells films and develops them.

There are still a few in Bangkok, one near Taksin bridge, and one in Thong Lo, just under the BTS station on the odd soi side.  Sorry I can't recall the specifics but I'm sure some members of the photo forum will know.

I have heard that like the resurgence in old vinyl, there has also been a resurgence in 35mm film usage and it's unique ability to create the now chic 80s look.

Who knows, maybe sometime there will be a sudden interest in 20mb hard drives and 56k baud modems and the old Pantip dealers will have a treasure trove.

20 minutes ago, dddave said:

There are still a few in Bangkok, one near Taksin bridge, and one in Thong Lo, just under the BTS station on the odd soi side.  Sorry I can't recall the specifics but I'm sure some members of the photo forum will know.

I have heard that like the resurgence in old vinyl, there has also been a resurgence in 35mm film usage and it's unique ability to create the now chic 80s look.

Who knows, maybe sometime there will be a sudden interest in 20mb hard drives and 56k baud modems and the old Pantip dealers will have a treasure trove.

Somehow I find it hard to throw away old parts which are, at least in theory, still working.

I am pretty sure I have lots of old RAM modules, modems, little hard disks, etc. in my apartment. Maybe I should keep them for another 10 years and maybe then they will be fashionable items...

Just recently I threw away a 500MB SCSI 3.5", 1.6" thick HDD. I think I paid about 800USD for that when I bought it...

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Somehow I find it hard to throw away old parts which are, at least in theory, still working.

I am pretty sure I have lots of old RAM modules, modems, little hard disks, etc. in my apartment. Maybe I should keep them for another 10 years and maybe then they will be fashionable items...

Just recently I threw away a 500MB SCSI 3.5", 1.6" thick HDD. I think I paid about 800USD for that when I bought it...

I seem to get rid of my old stuff because i really don't want to keep it around the chances that I will ever use it are close to zero.

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

I seem to get rid of my old stuff because i really don't want to keep it around the chances that I will ever use it are close to zero. 

Sure, you are right. But when you remember what you paid for all these parts, and many still work...

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sure, you are right. But when you remember what you paid for all these parts, and many still work...

Your right.. but you also need to remember its value right now.. and if it won't work with your current setup, then the only thing you can do is sell it or give it away. Unless you want to make a linux box or something like that. I used to keep everything, now I just sell it or give it away. Recently i sold an old q-nap 450 with 4 two TB harddisks in it I only got 10.000 but I had a new Qnap much faster and put 6 TB disks in it. The old one would not be used anymore.. keep it forever ? It cost with drives over 50.000... 

Archived