Domestic Flight With 1 Day Overstay? [What to do?]

HI All :),
 Just realised that my 3 month non ed visa expires the day before I fly to Udon (from Chiang Mai) and cross the border (on the same day) to Vientiane. 

Can I board a domestic flight without having any problems? do they check visa? or just the id page of passport?

What should I do? 
1. Book a new flight? 
2. Fly to Udon with 1 day overstay, pay 500 at the border?

TIA 

I assume you mean the 90 day entry from your non-ed visa is ending not the visas expiration date. The visas expiration date means nothing once you are in the country.

They only look at the passport photo page for ID purposes. They do not check for overstays.

You can do number 2.

• Like 1

The airline do not, generally, get involved in checking visa status on domestic flights.

Traveling with any overstay risks being caught in a random police/immigration check, but as it will be your first day of overstay you shouldn’t have a problem even if caught.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you mean the 90 day entry from your non-ed visa is ending not the visas expiration date. The visas expiration date means nothing once you are in the country.

They only look at the passport photo page for ID purposes. They do not check for overstays.

You can do number 2.

Thank you SO MUCH ubonjoe ?  

• 2 weeks later...

I got delay of not more than 24 hours in my passport, after missing the exit by 20 min passed midnight. Long check in line. 

Will that make any consequenses for my nest trip? I have been in and out Thailand back to work for two years now, and most of the time I had tourist visa, two extended stays by immigration, and landpassing twice in a year last year. This trip I got 30 days on arrival, extended 30 days at immigration and did one landpassing, and missed the check out from immigration by 20 min. Next trip I am going to stay less than 30 days. 

Could I have trouble if I do not get proper tourist visa before arrival? 

I can prove income and work in my orign country. 

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I got delay of not more than 24 hours in my passport, after missing the exit by 20 min passed midnight. Long check in line. 

Sounds like you didn't even pay a fine (the norm for one day only)?

You don't have a stamp in the passport other then entry and departure stamp?

If so, zero problems to expect.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds like you didn't even pay a fine (the norm for one day only)?

You don't have a stamp in the passport other then entry and departure stamp?

If so, zero problems to expect.

Just a written notice of Delay not more than 24 hour, and no fine. 

The short overstay should not be a problem per se. However, you seem to enter frequently visa exempt, and to have stayed a considerable amount of time in Thailand on visa exempt entries. Be aware that you could run into problems with some immigration officials, even potentially a denied entry, using visa exempt entries in the future. If feasible, try to enter with a visa.

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The short overstay should not be a problem per se. However, you seem to enter frequently visa exempt, and to have stayed a considerable amount of time in Thailand on visa exempt entries. Be aware that you could run into problems with some immigration officials, even potentially a denied entry, using visa exempt entries in the future. If feasible, try to enter with a visa.

Great advice, the problem being that getting a visa may be more problematic than entering on a visa exempt, depending on where you spend your time outside of Thailand. 

Sure, you can pick places where the embassy/consulate is not known for rejecting visa applications.  But those places aren't on everyone's itinerary.  The Thai consulates in places where I normally travel are notorious for insisting the only place to get a visa is your country of residence or your home country.   

Sometimes, it's better to take your chances on arrival.  Otherwise, I first have to get a visa and/or fly to a country with a "friendly" consulate, adding days and dollars to an already tedious journey.

Again, your advice is sound.  But it's not universally valid.

Edited by impulse

On 8/24/2018 at 8:58 AM, falangUK said:

What should I do? 
1. Book a new flight? 
2. Fly to Udon with 1 day overstay, pay 500 at the border?

TIA 

Being the more cautious type, I would pick your #1 or My #3: Go to Immigration and apply for a 7-day extension.  Technically, the extension is denied, and you get 7 days to leave the country - but No Overstay.  The extension-fee is 1900 Baht.  Another flight to UT might be cheaper, depending on how far in the future this is.

Edited by JackThompson

The fine will depends of IO ;

It happened to me to have 1 day (technically 8 hours) of overstay when i left BKK to Vientiane 2 years ago or so ;

They did not charge me 500THB, the IO called his supervisor who laughed and said 1 day was ok, he stamped me out for free (just stamped something saying that i overtayed less than 24 hours).

However i recall that 6 years ago i also had a stupid 1 day overstay and went to the immigration to get a 30 days visa extension, they gave me 7 days and charged me 500THB for the overstay, 2400THB for 7 days extension because of a silly again 10hours overstay i was pissed off but it was on me anyway!.

Can't tell for land borders, should be the same ? or not !

Anyway the only pain in the ass was Laos airline who made me fill a form saying that i had enough money for my trip to laos and made me withrdraw 10K or 20K (can't remember), immigration could not care less.