worried I'm HIV positive

Mrbutler

Over the past few months I've had unprotected sex with 7 bar girls/freelancers/part time prostitutes. I knew I was running the risk of contracting STIs 

but having stumbled upon this forum it appears that HIV is rife in Thailand. It didn't even cross my mind that contracting HIV from a woman in Thailand

was a possibility, but now I'm reading that as much as a third of freelancers/prostitutes/bar girls are HIV positive. That means it's highly likely that some

of these girls I banged are HIV positive. 

Now I'm worried sick that my naivety and foolishness has potentially landed me with a life changing illness. 

So what is it that you asking or wanting to share? Go have the blood works and put yourself as ease.

Hundreds if not thousand of men have unprotected sex with prostitutes and do not get HIV or any other STD.

its called a gamble 

• Like 1

don't freak yourself out. just get tested as soon as possible.

and let the fear and anxiety you are feeling right now teach you a lesson about having bareback sex with sex workers who have sex with 3,4,5,6 8 men a day from some of the worst parts of the world. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

OP, no, it's not highly likely they are HIV positive.

There is a risk, yes. AFAIK, HIV prevalence among bargirls is estimated to be around 2%. Could be 1%, could be 5%.

So it's not highly likely.

Second, infection risk when having normal sex with an infected person is around 5 per 10.000

So your risk to have indeed contracted HIV is very very very low.

The best thing to do now is to wait and take an HIV test in about 12 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BestB said:

So what is it that you asking or wanting to share? Go have the blood works and put yourself as ease.

Hundreds if not thousand of men have unprotected sex with prostitutes and do not get HIV or any other STD.

its called a gamble 

I want to know if there's a real chance that I have HIV or if I am getting myself worked up over nothing! I keep reading conflicting information; I read that HIV is a scam or doesn't exist, then I read that it's almost impossible for females to pass to males during vaginal sex and then I read that that's all <deleted> and that Thailand is teeming with HIV ridden hookers and contracting HIV from heterosexual vaginal sex is a very real possibility and that some of them are actually looking to infect others with their disease.

Edited by Mrbutler

11 minutes ago, manarak said:

OP, no, it's not highly likely they are HIV positive.

There is a risk, yes. AFAIK, HIV prevalence among bargirls is estimated to be around 2%. Could be 1%, could be 5%.

So it's not highly likely.

Second, infection risk when having normal sex with an infected person is around 5 per 10.000

So your risk to have indeed contracted HIV is very very very low.

The best thing to do now is to wait and take an HIV test in about 12 weeks.

Why do I need to wait 12 weeks? I want to know right now! It's 12 days since I last did it and I can definitely feel myself coming down with something, my temperature is higher than normal and I'm aching and getting shivers. I very rarely get sick with anything. 

1 minute ago, Mrbutler said:

Why do I need to wait 12 weeks? I want to know right now! It's 12 days since I last did it and I can definitely feel myself coming down with something, my temperature is higher than normal and I'm aching and getting shivers. I very rarely get sick with anything. 

the tests are trying to detect antibodies which form in your body in sufficient concentration after about 12 weeks for optimal detection.

it's possible to take tests earlier, there are tests that are more precise than others, some are reliable after only 6 weeks, etc.

BUT: if you are negative with a probability of 95% after 6 weeks, you would want to re-check after 12 weeks wouldn't you?

It's not just HIV that you might have contracted, but one of the many STDs that are out there, some of which are becoming increasingly resistant to antibiotics.

You need to do two things.  One, use condoms for all encounters with sex workers or casual sexual acquaintances.  And two, get yourself tested for HIV and a general STD test.

Please consider that it's not just yourself who is at risk here.  If you contract something you might unknowingly pass it on to others which would not be very nice at all, would it?

7 hours ago, Mrbutler said:

I want to know if there's a real chance that I have HIV or if I am getting myself worked up over nothing! I keep reading conflicting information; I read that HIV is a scam or doesn't exist, then I read that it's almost impossible for females to pass to males during vaginal sex and then I read that that's all <deleted> and that Thailand is teeming with HIV ridden hookers and contracting HIV from heterosexual vaginal sex is a very real possibility and that some of them are actually looking to infect others with their disease.

HIV is not "a scam".  And certainly it exists, there are millions of people worldwide who have it. Fortunately nowadays it is not the death sentence it used to be.

It is possible for females to pass HIV to males during vaginal sex but the risk is much lower than male to female or than anal sex.

I would not exactly describe Thailand as "teeming with HIV ridden hookers".  It is true that in urban areas, prevalence of HIV in female sex workers is as high as 20%. But many of them are on treatment, which greatly lowers the likelihood they will infect their partners.

The bit about HIV positive sex workers intentionally seeking to infect others -- there have been cases, but very rare.

In summary:  yes, it is possible  you have contacted it, though odds are you have not (though it depends on many,m many factors, including the viral load of an infected partner, whether you or she had any sores or abrasions on the genitals, etc etc). You should immediately stop having unprotected sex and get tested.

In addition to HIV you need to be concerned about Hepatitis B, which is much more easily transmitted. So you need to be tested for that as well. If negative, there is a vaccine for it which anyone who is sexually active in Thailand should definitely get.

If you are in or near Bangkok go to the Thai Red Cross anonymous clinic for testing (see pinned thread on HIV).  They will advise re the need for repeat testing if the initial test is negative. If you are willing to pay a bit more, get a PCR test as well as a conventional test, as the PCR will be positive in the early phase before other tests are. Be sure to also get tested for hepatitis B and follow through with immunization if negative. You can get the vaccine at the Thai red Cross as well.

http://en.trcarc.org/?page_id=632

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 2:10 AM, Mrbutler said:

First, you can catch HIV at your first sexual encounter. So better to get checked.

Now, no one knows exactly what the HIV prevalence amongst female sex workers is. Depends a lot on where you are, probably high in the village karaoke clubs, lower in Soi Cowboy, and you can keep on speculating.

There are also (tentative?) statistics on the risk of infection per act with an infected partner. The most relevant figures for our case probably are insertive anal sex, and insertive  vaginal. The figures I use for my sake are 1 in 200 for anal and 1 in 2000 for vaginal. I also accept 5% of SWs are HIV+, when I am optimistic 10% when I am in a bad mood.

So, when I go to one of the Nana Plaza bar, and have sex with one of their nymphets, and have unprotected vaginal sex, I calculate my risk as 1/10 x 1/2000 = one in 20000. Therefore I go to the pharmacy and get the antibiotics to cover the largest spectrum of STDs. But bear in mind that no antibiotic will cure some viral STDs.

I had one interesting case where a cute girl with ugly looking teeth asked for privacy in the bathroom for 5 minutes before sex. During the act she asked 500 Bahts to go bareback, and later said "ok 500 more" for anal... 

Over breakfast I pondered over what happened, I realised that she was a "meth mouth" and hence her HIV risk was probably closer to 1/2. My risk of infection becoming 1/2 * 1/200 = 1/400. Way to much to go without Post Exposure Prophylaxis.

Now of course I don't go bareback every week of the year, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. If I was one of those (Pattaya) Soi 6 regulars I'd be really worried.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Haha 2

First, you can catch HIV at your first sexual encounter. So better to get checked.

Now, no one knows exactly what the HIV prevalence amongst female sex workers is. Depends a lot on where you are, probably high in the village karaoke clubs, lower in Soi Cowboy, and you can keep on speculating.

There are also (tentative?) statistics on the risk of infection per act with an infected partner. The most relevant figures for our case probably are insertive anal sex, and insertive  vaginal. The figures I use for my sake are 1 in 200 for anal and 1 in 2000 for vaginal. I also accept 5% of SWs are HIV+, when I am optimistic 10% when I am in a bad mood.

So, when I go to one of the Nana Plaza bar, and have sex with one of their nymphets, and have unprotected vaginal sex, I calculate my risk as 1/10 x 1/2000 = one in 20000. Therefore I go to the pharmacy and get the antibiotics to cover the largest spectrum of STDs. But bear in mind that no antibiotic will cure some viral STDs.

I had one interesting case where a cute girl with ugly looking teeth asked for privacy in the bathroom for 5 minutes before sex. During the act she asked 500 Bahts to go bareback, and later said "ok 500 more" for anal... 

Over breakfast I pondered over what happened, I realised that she was a "meth mouth" and hence her HIV risk was probably closer to 1/2. My risk of infection becoming 1/2 * 1/200 = 1/400. Way to much to go without Post Exposure Prophylaxis.

Now of course I don't go bareback every week of the year, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. If I was one of those (Pattaya) Soi 6 regulars I'd be really worried.

The actual documented HIV prevalence in SWs in Bangkok is 20%.

Of course many of these are on treatment which lowers their risk of transmitting the virus. Your biggest risk is someone newly infected who does not yet know it (and would still test negative). Viral loads early in infection are especially high.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I don't believe there is anyone who considers going to Thailand to bang prostitutes but doesn't consider even the mere possibility of contracting HIV from unprotected sex, it just sounds implausible, I am calling troll.

I get panicked PMs from people who did exactly that multiple times a year.

They may not have come here with this specific intention but once here, they leave  their brains/common sense at the airport and go ahead and do this,  and then when they are getting ready to go back to Farangland the reality sets in and they freak out.

Believe it.

• Thanks 1

Unless you had anal sex or rough/very dry vaginal sex, or they were on their period at the time, then it's unlikely you'd contract it from irregular sex, even if they had it.  But Thailand has the highest HIV positive rate in Asia, so best to wear a condom with whores and any girl you think might be promiscuous.  Personally with girls I am fairly sure have only had sex with one or two other guys in their lives, I'll take the risk.

After having sex with about 20-30 of these girls over the last 5 years, I now have herpes (for life) and have had gonnorhea or chlamydia at least once.  So, I don't know, maybe don't follow my lead.

HIV not as much of a lifechanger as it once was.

People always focus on HIV nut Hepatitis B is also a major risk and actually more easily transmitted.

There is an effective vaccine but it is nto routinely given in the west (as opposed to Hep A vaccine which is) and most people don't think to get it before coming here.

A disease well worth avoiding, to say the least.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:55 AM, KiChakayan said:

Over breakfast I pondered over what happened, I realised that she was a "meth mouth" and hence her HIV risk was probably closer to 1/2.

Most girls clean themselves before having sex.  What made you think she was on meth, just her bad teeth?