Thailand - Not for me

On 8/29/2018 at 7:35 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't see how these pictures prove anyone being hiso here? My ex who lived in Canada used to dress like this when in Thailand and yes, some of her friends were wealthy, but some of them just had regular office jobs. 

I was ugly 15 years older, not with a lot of money and dated a woman like this. Maybe a difference being that we met in Canada instead of Thailand where her family didn't have a say about who she dated.

Personally I think she was great and a great squirter too, but she was never as generous as my much poorer wife. And an import point to note is that just because her English  was much better, she was still dumb as a post. No business acumen and she relied for me on everything. Wouldn't move her finger. I highly doubt she would get hired at the same international company my wife works for even with her qualifications and a degree from Canada. 

Anyway, if anyone wants to meet one of these girls, they are mostly concentrated on Charoen Krung road.

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Dear old dad went to Normandy in the summer of 1944.  Didn't like it.  I went to Saigon January of 1968.  Didn't like it either.    Greenland is the country with the world's highest suicide rate. The rate here is 24 times that seen in the United States and that includes California and Florida. It's even higher than Canada! I don't think if I was a Rohingya I'd like living in Burma.  If I was Serena Williams I'd probably avoid Australia. 

Just thought I'd mention those as food for thought and maybe the place is important in determining happiness. 

As a wise old codger once told me, life is sometimes like a giant sh-t sandwich and everyone gets to take a bite. Can't always be were we want to be, doing what we want to do. In those situations, plan your exit expeditiously for greener pastures. 

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I lived in Canada for many years and I felt after 3 years in Pattaya I'd lived in Australia.  I'm an anomaly though.  I thought it was a rule that one not have any direct experience with a cheese, or wine, or city or country or education system/school or computer or operating system or phone or coffee to comment about it here.  No? 

It would be better if you had spelled it..Marcus Aurelius-an education system,no?

What do you think of his Stoic philosophy by the way?

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

99% of all respondents on ThaiVisa who damned Canada admitted on a private poll today that they had never been near the place.

This contrasts sharply with only 97.1% for respondents on Australia and 96.6% pertaining to Kiwi-Land.

Not exactly exciting news but I thought that I should share it with you..

Because they dont want to visit Cabada due to its reputation for tedium, mediocrity and freezing weather. However, due to its enlightened drug policy it might attract hedonists. 

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Of course..Canada..I am sure that you did-and you managed to spend time in Australia too!Impressive..

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus,by the way

Now when did I say anything about Australia?  My only time in Australia was an R&R at Kings Cross in the late 1960's. I went there to appreciate Australian culture. 

21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Now when did I say anything about Australia?  My only time in Australia was an R&R at Kings Cross in the late 1960's. I went there to appreciate Australian culture. 

Sure..

And in the most recent survey..

98.3 of all internet posters thought that the  Canadian PM

was from Alpha Centauri.

96.1% opined that "Skippy" was a koala..

97.8 thought that Queen Victoria  still reigned in the UK

And 117.4% of Americans thought that Canada,Australia and the United Kingdom were Sunni Muslim under Sharia law..

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sure..

And in the most recent survey..

98.3 of all internet posters thought that the  Canadian PM

was from Alpha Centauri.

96.1% opined that "Skippy" was a koala..

97.8 thought that Queen Victoria  still reigned in the UK

And 117.4% of Americans thought that Canada,Australia and the United Kingdom were Sunni Muslim under Sharia law..

I told you there was an education problem in Canada.  You get hit in the head with enough pucks and it takes it's toll.  I told you I was educated in Canada so I'm sure you wouldn't give me American ed info.  Did you play Aussie rules football as a child?

Edited by marcusarelus

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I told you there was an education problem in Canada.  You get hit in the head with enough pucks and it takes it's toll. 

Sure..Canadian Rn'R..in Sydney in the Vietnam war..lol..

The Canadians  must have been highly intelligent as they kept clear of the appallingly sleazy conflict..

Have you chomped down on a discarded cluster bomblet lately?

I agree with you tho',the world has a staggering education problem-about 340 million individuals,to be precise.

Edited by Odysseus123

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sure..Canadian Rn'R..in Sydney in the Vietnam war..lol..

The Canadians  must have been highly intelligent as they kept clear of the appallingly sleazy conflict..

Have you chomped down on a discarded cluster bomblet lately?

I agree with you tho',the world has a staggering education problem-about 340 million individuals,to be precise.

Why do I have to say everything twice.  I was raised in Canada and America.  Also for your info.  134 Canadians killed in action fighting for U.S. forces during the Vietnam War.  60,000 Australians served in Vietnam.  Why would you try and change to the topic to Vietnam?  Australia bears as much guilt as America?  Or have you forgotten?  Perhaps if Canada and the UK participated more than they did the Vietnam thing would have been over quickly and much less loss of life on all sides.  But you didn't want a discussion only start a fight eh?  

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Why do I have to say everything twice.  I was raised in Canada and America.  Also for your info.  134 Canadians killed in action fighting for U.S. forces during the Vietnam War.  60,000 Australians served in Vietnam.  Why would you try and change to the topic to Vietnam?  Australia bears as much guilt as America?  Or have you forgotten?  Perhaps if Canada and the UK participated more than they did the Vietnam thing would have been over quickly and much less loss of life on all sides.  But you didn't want a discussion only start a fight eh?  

Sure thing.

I  was raised  as an honorary member of an emperor penguin tribe on Adelaide Island (Antarctica) and have an overwhelming desire to consume fish to prove it!

Actually my iceberg broke off from the Ross Ice Shelf..drifted into the Atlantic and and got in the way of an ocean liner in 1912..

Ripley's believe it or not....?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The manic said:

Because they dont want to visit Cabada due to its reputation for tedium, mediocrity and freezing weather. However, due to its enlightened drug policy it might attract hedonists. 

We did our road trip back in late May early June.

Drove I-90 from SD across to Seattle then up to Vancouver. Vancouver was nice, but looked just like most West Coast cities. We visited Victoria Island and that was great. We then drove all the way across Canada, most of it was awesome, ending up in Prince Edward Island, we had a great time everywhere we stopped and some awesome scenery. 

Also the weather was great. We came back into the US via the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, which having only seen it previously from the NY side was fantastic, back to Boston and I-90 all the way back to South Dakota.

I just don't recognize this tedious mediocre Canada people describe, we had a incredible time

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

We did our road trip back in late May early June.

Drove I-90 from SD across to Seattle then up to Vancouver. Vancouver was nice, but looked just like most West Coast cities. We visited Victoria Island and that was great. We then drove all the way across Canada, most of it was awesome, ending up in Prince Edward Island, we had a great time everywhere we stopped and some awesome scenery. 

Also the weather was great. We came back into the US via the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, which having only seen it previously from the NY side was fantastic, back to Boston and I-90 all the way back to South Dakota.

I just don't recognize this tedious mediocre Canada people describe, we had a incredible time

I did a road trip similar to yours with my then Australian wife just after we got married. It was awesome. Probably the best memory I will keep until the rest of my life. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, upu2 said:

In the South it is but further North just bloody boring

True..

I can't say that I found the country around El Alamein (I went to see the war cemetery there) very inspiring..stony,dusty and kinda grey.

Great place for a battle but definitely marginal if you want to build a resort.?

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 2:58 PM, NaamGin said:

No matter where you go, there you are. 

Happiness is not about a place, it's about being happy where ever you are. 

Happy trails where ever you decide to hang your hat. 

Freedom to choose is the answer!

On 8/25/2018 at 10:38 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Some people can be happy anywhere they are.

Some people can not be happy no matter where they are.

Thailand brings out the best of both.

Some people can not be happy no matter where they are. >> What should they do? 

1 hour ago, falangUK said:

Some people can not be happy no matter where they are. >> What should they do? 

How do you know? There is many reasons to leave Thailand, and there is many reason to stay. Up to you

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kannot said:

Money gives you that choice..........make money, then you can choose.

Also no kids, and other duties back home where you come from, but money is the key of course. 

I hear more and more of the elder around where I live now, living here in Thailand with no insurance. They have a decent life, but most of the money they spend on unhealthy things. Late nights at bar playing pool, smoking, bad eating habits, and also member of breakfest club or a lunch club (drinking beer) 

thats when I am thinking what a heck is people thinking with? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Also no kids, and other duties back home where you come from, but money is the key of course. 

I hear more and more of the elder around where I live now, living here in Thailand with no insurance. They have a decent life, but most of the money they spend on unhealthy things. Late nights at bar playing pool, smoking, bad eating habits, and also member of breakfest club or a lunch club (drinking beer) 

thats when I am thinking what a heck is people thinking with? 

Depends on their perspective on life. 

I have a friend who lives the same as you describe, lives for today, high risk, uninsured, loves his drink, girls etc etc. Some may say your typical Pattaya person. 

His philosophy is he is going to enjoy life while he can and would rather live a full life now then limp along planning for a future that may never come. 

I’m not saying I agree with him totally but I can see understand some of his views. 

To each their own. 

• Like 1