Thailand - Not for me

I always feel sorry for he who live in Thailand long term then must go back because of some reason or other.

You cannot deny life in the west is 1 big bore especially if you over 50. 

But many times i am curious because many of these guys had a perfect life here

wife with a degree, she have good high pay job, he stay in wifes house for free.

Stay home and wife pays me allowance for beer and cigarets etc etc.

im thinking what could be better? and why to move back?

But if you are around 60 and older all i can say is this

act your age!!!

and quit chasing and marrying desperate poor (or greedy) girls around who are 20-30 y.o.

1. becos its just plain creepy

2. You WILL fall big. if/when you must leave disneyland and go back to reality. there where you will be looked at like an diry old old man. 

Sex (of all) will be a fading memory and for certain sex with young girls or trying to, probably get you arrested.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

I always feel sorry for he who live in Thailand long term then must go back because of some reason or other.

wife with a degree, she have good high pay job, he stay in wifes house for free.

act your age!!!

and quit chasing and marrying desperate poor (or greedy) girls around who are 20-30 y.o.

2. You WILL fall big. if/when you must leave disneyland and go back to reality. there where you will be looked at like an diry old old man. 

Sex (of all) will be a fading memory and for certain sex with young girls or trying to, probably get you arrested.

I’m trying to decipher everything you said, but there some hard truths there.

We’ve all seen the 60 something guy with the 20 something gal and a couple of rugrats slopping around the mall in Thailand.

Maybe OK in that context.

Move that back to Farangland, wherever that may be, you’re right that there is different reaction for sure, and it’s not good!

The other problem is usually what happens is suddenly that 20 something Thai lady gets to meet 20/30 something farang men, with money!

Recipe for disaster

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

If my wife was a Government employee, I had free access to hospital cover, got a monthly allowance from her, frankly, I would never leave.

Hospital Cover is the only big worry I have here and is the only real reason I would go home in the future. Or just simply die because there is no other way out.

That is a scary thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

act your age!!!

1. becos its just plain creepy.  Why would you think at my advanced age and had the metal to pick up stakes and move across the world and start a new life successfully would I listen to a person like you?  You a teacher?  I taught school here in 1968.  See where I'm coming from? 

2. You WILL fall big. if/when you must leave disneyland and go back to reality. there where you will be looked at like an diry old old man.   I was looked at a dirty old man before I got here because I lived stripper from South Florida after my wife divorced me.  

3.  Sex (of all) will be a fading memory and for certain sex with young girls or trying to, probably get you arrested.  I don't know why anyone would arrest me for having sex with a woman over 21 do you?  I'm close to 80 and still have sex once a day - my doctor says it's good cardio exercise especially with a young fit woman.  To me a woman of 21 years of age is a young woman.  

I've been here for the last 2 decades plus and still going strong.  But if I die tomorrow it will probably be during my daily exercise period and if I had it to do again I would do exactly the same thing.  I can't see any reason to head back to the West.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

act your age!!!

I agree marriage is stupid. But at 65 years old i will not be bar fining 65 year old bar girls.

21 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

As for cost. I’m sorry, I’ve looked at the numbers multiple times, and the story of Thailand being super cheap, just doesn’t pan out. 

You obviously haven't looked at the long-term RENTAL ACCOMMODATIOM numbers multiple times. FYI Rent is 36,000 baht a month cheaper in Thailand than for the same apartment type in an Australian capital city.

I'm sorry, but that definitely makes Thailand super cheap.

Edited by Nemises

7 minutes ago, Nemises said:

You obviously haven't looked at the long-term RENTAL ACCOMMODATIOM numbers multiple times. FYI Rent is 36,000 baht a month cheaper in Thailand than for the same apartment type in an Australian capital city.

I'm sorry, but that definitely makes Thailand super cheap.

Again it kinda depends.

We own our homes in both Thailand and the US.

So take out the housing, and ‘if’ you want to live, eat like a farang, then the equation gets a lot trickier.

I don’t have a lot of skin in this game anymore, because we do both.

Few months in Thailand then the rest of the year in the US.

All I can do is tell you from our experiences, and you believe them or not, that's your choice.

But my experience, with the exception of housing, which is considerably cheaper in Thailand, the rest of it, it’s a toss up at best

• Like 2

Again it kinda depends.  

So take out the housing, and ‘if’ you want to live, eat like a farang, then the equation gets a lot trickier.

I don’t have a lot of skin in this game anymore, because we do both.

Few months in Thailand then the rest of the year in the US.

All I can do is tell you from our experiences, and you believe them or not, that's your choice.

But my experience, with the exception of housing, which is considerably cheaper in Thailand, the rest of it, it’s a toss up at best

If RENTING (as opposed to owning) you’re better off by about 35-40K baht a month renting in Thailand than in an Australian capital city. So once again, that definitely makes Thailand super cheap for those particular renters... and possibly renters from other countries as well.

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Every time I read your mention of the Thai wife being a DoD contractor, I think of this conversation I had around year 2000.

I was being given a ride to the NongKhai border for a new 30 day entry by the husband of an NGO staff worker where I was staying. I mentioned that I did Oil & Gas exploration work in USA. He said that he had worked for ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia.

I asked: Petroleum Engineer?

He said: No -- Janitor

(Humor)

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Every time I read your mention of the Thai wife being a DoD contractor, I think of this conversation I had around year 2000.

I was being given a ride to the NongKhai border for a new 30 day entry by the husband of an NGO staff worker where I was staying. I mentioned that I did Oil & Gas exploration work in USA. He said that he had worked for ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia.

I asked: Petroleum Engineer?

He said: No -- Janitor

(Humor)

LoL

My wife’s in the scrap metal business

....she’s a metallurgist 

4 hours ago, Tony125 said:

If you can spend only HALF of your salary for rental, and save other HALF for transportation, groceries, recreation, apparel and utilities then it’s likely you can live comfortably.

Well that would all depend on what one makes and what they like to do. For most that live an active life, engage in social activities you better make $125k or more per year to at least pretend you enjoy it or invest in books, stay home and watch the poor content 700 channel cable TV.... 

18 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

---

What does "eat like a falang" mean? Hamburger and fries, steak, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, milk shakes?

That's what comes to mind, and though I don't eat that stuff I see it for sale in Thailand dirt cheap, pennies on the dollar comparatively.

How are you spending big money on food in Thailand?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

What does "eat like a falang" mean? Hamburger and fries, steak, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, milk shakes?

That's what comes to mind, and though I don't eat that stuff I see it for sale in Thailand dirt cheap, pennies on the dollar comparatively.

How are you spending big money on food in Thailand?

Now I’m not going to debate this, since it gets into a bit of a pointless pissing contest.

From ‘my’ experience, others my vary, my weekly shopping bill at Tops was pretty much the same as my weekly shopping bill at my local Safeway.

You can chose to think I’m full of Sh*it, but thats just my experience

20 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now I’m not going to debate this, since it gets into a bit of a pointless pissing contest.

---

You can chose to think I’m full of Sh*it, but thats just my experience

Hey I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers and I take your word at face value.

I meant it as an actual question, because I just got here from the US and I'm spending 25% here of what I did there. Makes me curious what you are eating.

And, I eat out every meal and usually Thai food.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not so sure about the cheap part.

When I eat like the f-word that would include --

Neopolitan pizzas

BBQ meats

Gourmet pastas

Smoked salmon

Avocados (for days)

Today for lunch I indulged in a Belgian buffet

That's just middle level compared to many. 

Ok, this makes sense, my post was aimed at the USA food cultural experience, as the OP is contrasting the two places.

I do recognize the word "farang" covers all foreigners of Euro descent, so your pizzas and pastas from Italy, smoked salmon from Norway, ect..

It's all relevant, and obviously considerably more costly than Pad Thai and curry.

4 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Ok, this makes sense, my post was aimed at the USA food cultural experience, as the OP is contrasting the two places.

I do recognize the word "farang" covers all foreigners of Euro descent, so your pizzas and pastas from Italy, smoked salmon from Norway, ect..

It's all relevant, and obviously considerably more costly than Pad Thai and curry.

Americans eat all that stuff and much much more!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2018 at 4:38 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Some people can be happy anywhere they are.

Some people can not be happy no matter where they are.

Thailand brings out the best of both.

Very true I like travelling around the world and meet people who get extatic about a place then a few months later totally against it. Thailand, it can be very good or very bad depending on what kind of person you are either glass half full or glass half empty and of course if you have enough money.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

Thailand, it can be very good or very bad depending on what kind of person you are either glass half full or glass half empty and of course if you have enough money.

Those who don't have enough money for Thailand are going to have a hell of a time finding a place they can afford...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Those who don't have enough money for Thailand are going to have a hell of a time finding a place they can afford...

That is very true. I can afford to live in Thailand but I like to look at other lower cost options. I was looking at Nicaragua but then it became kind of a war zone again. Oh well! 

In the U.S. -- I hear Mexico Beach, Florida is nice in the springtime. :sorry:

Edited by Jingthing

31 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Hey I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers and I take your word at face value.

I meant it as an actual question, because I just got here from the US and I'm spending 25% here of what I did there. Makes me curious what you are eating.

And, I eat out every meal and usually Thai food.

Hey nothing ruffled, I got thicker skin than that.

So we didn’t eat, still don't, that much street food.

Mrs G grew up through her teens in the US, Singapore and HK and, rightly I would say had a big issue buying meat and the like from the outdoor market with the spinning plastic bags and the meat covered in flies!

So you’re back to buying food in Tops, Lotus etc, and thats where the cost equation gets tricky.

If you want to buy imported food it gets even worse.

It really all comes down to how you decide to live. We’ve got friends, who go down the total Thai lifestyle, and yeah it’s cheap.

Just neither of us wanted to live that way, and probably as we get older even less so

19 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It really all comes down to how you decide to live. We’ve got friends, who go down the total Thai lifestyle, and yeah it’s cheap.

True. My ex insisted on cooking, but that usually meant I was cooking too. After we split, I took on a "eat out every meal" lifestyle, partly in rebellion I suppose, and coming here it's been easy to continue that, with no kitchen anyway and food everywhere you look. So I don't think in terms of grocery stores.

But back home, it's $15-$20 easy for one meal out, and here that's a decent number of meals at the food stands...

49 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

It's sad that money is the biggest consideration, there will be lots of good honest people who fall short of the required immigration amounts for example. As the Thai economy develops it will become more expensive to live here as people gain a living wage and are not exploited by rich foreigners having cheap holidays and retirements. The reverse is happening in London with rich foreigners outpricing others in the property market, I guess what goes around comes around.