Barging in front of the handicapped - is this the famous "Thainess" we hear about?

webfact

8 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I'm surprised they got up for you. In my experience, generally, they don't show foreigners the same social graces they do with each other.

And long may that continue!

Uppity bloody farangs. Our time was about 40 years ago.

That was then, this is now.

3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Quality cultures produce quality people. Japanese, for instance, show the same respect for foreigners and nationals alike. Same is true for most modern western countries. 

So you reckon Japan has a more open, honest and altogether more accommodating cultural trait towards round-eyes than Thailand has?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MartinL said:

On my very recent first and only trip on BTS after 10 years here - albeit in the NE - I was absolutely amazed to see people jumping up out of their seats, without a second's hesitation, so that a Prathom-aged schoolkid could sit down. Some of those vacating their seats weren't young either.

I even had one kid staring intently at me for not moving for him but he was out of luck - he had to stand and didn't seem to like it!

My understanding is that this is a system of "social debt" that Thais employ. It is meant to assimilate the kids into the Thai Borg ?

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Haha 2

I was in the fitness business for 30 years, however two strokes have left me dragging my left leg and using a quadstick. I was in BKK a few months ago and experienced similar disregard for the less able. On Asoke one night 7 taxis slowed to pick me up and then took off again, perhaps worried that my disabled state is in some way contagious?? Fortunately No.8 was the easy going chatty type, I gave him B100 for a B50 fare.

It's a very long time since Khon Thai were Jai Dee ?.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them, but there does seem to be a lack of 'spatial awareness' here regarding people beware of what's around them.

Not looking around, or thinking ahead by even ten seconds, I see that as one of the factors towards the high number of traffic accidents here.

Possibly...but I am not entirely sure.

As I said,I was treated with great courtesy by  elderly women whilst I waited at the hospital.Some even asked if I was in the Vietnam War..

But queues were another matter entirely..

I would certainly give the Thai an 8/10 for their general behaviour (to me) dropping to a 4/10 for  queues.

The same in India and Cambodia but Laos was superior.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So you reckon Japan has a more open, honest and altogether more accommodating cultural trait towards round-eyes than Thailand has?

In all areas, no. And, my point is NOT that I expect Thais or anyone to be more accommodating to farang. I expect them to have values and behaviors that are consistent irrespective of a person's nationality or skin color. 

As for Japan, if you pay attention to the Japanese expat families around Bangkok and other parts, you'll note even Japanese young kids (5 years old and up) are far more polite than average Thais. 

It's about the culture. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

She should be careful posting embarrassing photos of Thai people being rude, she could end up in jail, when they get upset about being revealed as scumbags.

Or even get banned on this forum !!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Patience and manners are not great attributes of the Thais.

Queuing in a shop, like 7eleven, or holding a door open for one, with no acknowledgement, are good examples.

lol Have a bunch of Aussie tourists drive through Bangkok. Let's see how patient they are! There are good and lousy people everywhere. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps they were still trying to find the father of their now grown up kid?

Love it!

Thais are such sentimentalists..

In my village there was a youngish chap ?40 who looked so strikingly Caucasian that I instantly inquired 
"Where are you from?"But he was Thai with an unknown American father.Blonde hair,blue eyes..everything.

4 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

She should be careful posting embarrassing photos of Thai people being rude, she could end up in jail, when they get upset about being revealed as scumbags.

Yes.... She should be more worried about being charged with criminal 'Defamation" and offenses under the Computer Crimes Act..TIT

4 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Thai people use the stairs? Not unless you can get a motorbike up them.

Agreed Thais don't know what legs are actually capable of, until they lose them !!

I feel genuinely sorry for the girl, having said that she's lucky to live in an area where the building she frequents actually has a lift.

Where I live streets, pavements and shops are virtually impossible to use for the wheel bound chair user.
And god forbid if you should need the toilet when out of you own environment...

Thailand has a lot of catching up to do to help the physically challenged people who largely go un-thought of!

• Like 1

Hardly ever.  

LOL

Na. Doesn’t happen in other countries. Only Thailand. Good one [emoji106]

AUSTRALIA

“There’s a growing trend for disabled parking spot shaming, which social media is feeding.

Hardly a week goes past without some gleeful post from a parking vigilante plastering the internet with images of offending drivers who have parked in a disabled spot when they have no right to do so.”

Read more at:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/hey-parking-shamers-shame-on-you/news-story/7f6be1a39191579bd93259b06554061e

ENGLAND

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/disabled-parking-spaces-petition-dont-have-a-blue-badge-then-stop-using-our-disabled-parking-spaces-a7128416.html

NEW ZEALAND

Aucklanders have paid nearly $1.5 million in fines for illegally parking in disabled spots over the past three years.

More than 9820 fines totalling $1.47m were issued to offenders since 2015 , figures released to Stuff under the Official Information Act show.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/central-leader/100768264/thousands-of-aucklanders-fined-every-year-for-parking-in-disabled-parking-spaces

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

sorry but ,she is either looking for reason to get upset (and some facebook time) or waiting for a friend...she is 15 feet from the door ,what are we mind readers ''' get in line lady or get left behind''

Obviously no notion of what it is like to be handicapped, nor any compassion whatsoever.
On does not simply "get in line" when wheelchair bound.
I have had Thai folks get off the lift or wait for the next trip, and I only need a cane. Obviously, to those not handicapped by evident visual  impairment, that is not happening here.

• Like 1

Let's say LOS isn't the same as it once was. Consider it as part of the economic development.

Worldwide phenomena are seen in most developing countries.

Recalling the times when Khaophad moo was 5 Baht served with happiness. Now it's a 100, and one gets unhappy-looking faces.