Barging in front of the handicapped - is this the famous "Thainess" we hear about?

webfact

5 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

the Thai are actually our New World "Spartans"

it was tradition in the ancient greek state of Sparta to undergo a test with newborn, if they were fit for survival. It did not need a Charles Darwin in these days to manifest "The Survival of the fittest" into the culture & traditions of ancient Greek.

Looking at the matter from a viewpoint of a Thai,  lots of similarities appear.  The Buddhist concept of "This guy is handicapped, so he must have been a bad person in his life before"  still plays a role that is deeply rooted in Thai society.

The physically weak and handicapped have inflicted it upon themselves . . they are not worth of special support 

Only very few groups in Thailand have formed to help handicapped people, like the Foundation of the Blind and the AIDS brigade.

The great majority of the Thai population still are rooted in their " Me, only ME is what counts" way of thinking.

Maybe it is not too much of a plea of me to ask you to understand a very important factor which plays into this way of thinking:

Their LIFE and LIVING in ASIA  is HARD.

Everywhere in Asia, a person is met by elbows of others, has to fight to make a living

There is little room for weakness

You simply can't change an age old culture rooted in near slavery, in the course of a century

PS:  let me add, I am a deaf guy, handicapped as well from early age on, and i have experienced people being offended or not

I understand and agree with much of what you're saying here, but, as to their behavior being somehow due to life being hard... What or the BTS upper middle classes who act the same way? What of the genuinely wealthy people driving their cars with the same disregard for others? Why are there no discernable differences in the behaviors of rich Thais and poor ones? 

I have traveled the world. Most of the African continent's peoples have it FAR worse than anywhere in oreiental Asia. Yet, even most Africans are more compassionate... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I understand and agree with much of what you're saying here, but, as to their behavior being somehow due to life being hard... What or the BTS upper middle classes who act the same way? What of the genuinely wealthy people driving their cars with the same disregard for others? Why are there no discernable differences in the behaviors of rich Thais and poor ones? 

I have traveled the world. Most of the African continent's peoples have it FAR worse than anywhere in oreiental Asia. Yet, even most Africans are more compassionate... 

you are touching the hot spot of the kettle

the riches have always looked down onto the poor and the weak

Nothing has changed much,  only that in Asia, the riches still clinging to the age old "Caste " system

"WE are better"

In the west, the riches have sorted to donating to foundations which help the handicapped. And they have undergone a better education. I am not the one to doubt, that Princess XXX would hold the elevator door open for a person in a wheelchair

Education is what matters

Holding the door open to a handicapped person is not being thaught to Thais, not in school neither at home

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nemises said:

Wow...so much Thai bashing. 

This sort of behaviour is not unique to Thailand. 

How many times have you seen able bodied people parking in disabled parking bays in other countries?

What happens in other countries (and we do know) does not make what happened to this handicapped person in THAILAND (this is a 'Thai forum') any more acceptable. Just saying. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nemises said:

Nowadays for sure.
Just don’t mention the war!

"Just don’t mention the war!" They too, lived in a feudal society at that time. Those with the guns still rule many countries to this day. Hint hint................... :smile:

• Like 1

What happens in other countries (and we do know) does not make what happened to this handicapped person in THAILAND (this is a 'Thai forum') any more acceptable.

Oh ok, then let’s all forget that this happens all over Asia and instead, focus on attacking the Thais only. Got it [emoji736]

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nemises said:

Oh ok, then let’s all forget that this happens the world over and instead, focus on attacking the Thais only. Got it emoji736.png

What has the rest of the world got to do with this story?

Answer absolutely nothing, got it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Patience and manners are not great attributes of the Thais.

Queuing in a shop, like 7eleven, or holding a door open for one, with no acknowledgement, are good examples.

You're assuming Western "good manners" are universal, like standing up when a woman enters the room (?) or holding open a door for another person (?). Why? Yet Westerners stick their dirty shoes on eating surfaces, tramp dirt into a clean house and think it's OK.

I find Thais extremely polite, 2nd only to the Japanese, and considerate. In the 7-11 I'm given a front queue space if my stuff looks heavy - never happen in Europe. Doors are held open if my hands are full. I'm always offered food if I sit drinking with friends. Younger Thais bend low passing in front of me (I'm phu yai), so my head is higher. Police stop traffic and help me across the road with my shopping. Try that in New York! 

As for the handicap problem, I think it's a Thai trait to ignore physical deformity because it might be "contagious" or disturb one's "kwan" (harmony). CNN, Fox, et al,  often warn of "disturbing images" (disturb Western kwan?). Handicapped people here are "invisible" but this is changing.

Be patient. You are in Thailand, not Birmingham or Chicago, though your kwan might still be. Give it 5 yrs to arrive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Oh ok, then let’s all forget that this happens all over Asia and instead, focus on attacking the Thais only. Got it emoji736.png

This argument "but, it happens in many countries" is, with respect, simplistic. 

Nobody has said it happens only in Thailand. However, as with everything, how much is key.

Surely, you are aware that water, if consumed in large enough quantity, is deadly. Nevertheless, you would not come onto the forum warning people away from water because of this. Because you are smart enough to know it is a matter of degree. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Oh ok, then let’s all forget that this happens all over Asia and instead, focus on attacking the Thais only. Got it emoji736.png

Similarly, men and women are approximately 98% the same genetically. However, you don't casually interchange men and women in your bed. 

A matter of degree, once again. 

Screenshot_20180830-083044.jpg

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

What has the rest of the world got to do with this story?

Answer absolutely nothing, got it.

That people have pointed out that these issues commonly occur in the rest of the world has a lot to do with the story which sets out to specifically criticise Thai's...  Fair enough, Thai's who behave poorly and with poor consideration for others should fall under criticism, anyone should, no matter their country of origin or background. 

Thus, that this issue also occurs elsewhere is of significance, of greater significance is the inference by some that the incidence of poor treatment of handicapped persons may be greater in Thailand when compared to other countries - it is this difference which shows Thailand up for what it really is... a developing nation which has a lot of developing to do..... but it would be unfair to take this issue out of context as if these issues only exist here.... 

Equally so, along with the negatives there may be plenty of pro's to living here as a disabled person such as the cost of care or availability of those who would be willing to offer care.

Thailand has a long way to go, but as with anything needs to be discussed and evaluated in balance - to achieve this balance a bigger picture needs to be looked at, in this case the bigger picture would be comparison with elsewhere. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That people have pointed out that these issues commonly occur in the rest of the world has a lot to do with the story which sets out to specifically criticise Thai's...  Fair enough, Thai's who behave poorly and with poor consideration for others should fall under criticism, anyone should, no matter their country of origin or background. 

Thus, that this issue also occurs elsewhere is of significance, of greater significance is the inference by some that the incidence of poor treatment of handicapped persons may be greater in Thailand when compared to other countries - it is this difference which shows Thailand up for what it really is... a developing nation which has a lot of developing to do..... but it would be unfair to take this issue out of context as if these issues only exist here.... 

Equally so, along with the negatives there may be plenty of pro's to living here as a disabled person such as the cost of care or availability of those who would be willing to offer care.

Thailand has a long way to go, but as with anything needs to be discussed and evaluated in balance - to achieve this balance a bigger picture needs to be looked at, in this case the bigger picture would be comparison with elsewhere. 

Good points. On balance, where Thais excel, and what so many foreigners react negatively to, is in their pretension. They have a predisposition to talk big and pretend to care about things and to be doing well in certain areas when the reality is far from their fantasies. 

If, as in many countries, they were more honest, people would be far less harsh on them. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 2

Is this the elevator at Mo/chit where you can go from the subway to the bts? 

That's a long walk without the elevator and the thing is far too small. They should have built a skytrain between mochit bts and the purple line.

the forum is seriously schizophrenic.

On one side, Thais behaving against their cultural standards are slammed, and on the other side Prayuth also gets badmouthed when he wants to re-educate people about Thai values...

I guess it's the same people who say that children learn by themselves, enjoy school and go to sleep in time by themselves... lol.

4 minutes ago, Nemises said:

A pathetic troll, I understand.

So in  all those countries you mentioned  where fines are  issued and  collected and  enforced you then quote  Thailand where I  guess  not a  single  fine  has  ever been issued let alone monies  collected,   I think we  all know whose pathetic here. 

So in  all those countries you mentioned  where fines are  issued and  collected and  enforced you then quote  Thailand where I  guess  not a  single  fine  has  ever been issued let alone monies  collected,   I think we  all know whose pathetic here. 

MUST IGNORE THE TROLLS.

BYE [emoji112]

15 hours ago, manarak said:

the forum is seriously schizophrenic.

On one side, Thais behaving against their cultural standards are slammed, and on the other side Prayuth also gets badmouthed when he wants to re-educate people about Thai values...

I guess it's the same people who say that children learn by themselves, enjoy school and go to sleep in time by themselves... lol.

"...Prayuth also gets badmouthed when he wants to re-educate people about Thai values..."

No no no - he wants to re-educate them to not to challenge the elite!

• Like 1