Smoking ban to keep tourists from getting intoxicated at beaches

Rimmer

The DMCR is talking out of its, er, butt. Smoking actually delays intoxication, according to a recent article in the science journal Nature. 

Experiments with rats, it points out, "shows that a heavy dose of nicotine can cut blood-alcohol levels in half".

https://www.nature.com/news/2006/060724/full/news060724-3.html

So much for drunks being "rat-ars-d"!

6 hours ago, skorp13 said:

Stop people from smoking cigs to prevent them from getting intoxicated?????? New levels....new levels

don't try to tell us that you did not know that non-smokers are immune to alcohol ?

That was a bit of a change. When the ban was introduced they only talk about the environment and to say that filter from cigarettes is the big problem on the beaches are a big lie. plastic, bottles and "food boxes" are the big problems and those are seldom left there by farrangs. 

They do make some silly statements don't they?

I mean, if they just stuck with littering, then that is difficult to argue against to a reasonable point.

Mind you, given the location (Pattaya) it just seems farcical to me- bit like banning farting at a bean eating contest.?

• Like 1

smoking kills fish to? whod have thought. Not to worry. The government taxes accumulated from cigarette purchases must be going back in to cancer prevention in humans and fisheries departments or some such thing. Perhaps vaping would be cleaner? Oh wait a minute... 

Just ban smoking sales outright or shut up!

More ways of pretending farang are dirty pricks destroying beaches and charging them for it. Fact is the government is letting things get out of control. It appears the government did a google search on cigarette butt toxicity to fish and wild life as i just did and clearly this story is a reach for a legitimate excuse to fine farang more. Its all a scam and looks bad for thailand. The writer of this article must be arrested now for making thailand look bad by trying to continously make farang look bad when clearly the government has the power to outlaw cigarette sales immediately so they should be held accountable.

Well I hope the smokers carry their own bin box to keep their trash 

the quiker they are intoxicated the better

away from non smokers and kids

how many tab ends does a smokers 

criminally throws away?

30day x365days x 40 years = 438 000

that is a huge pile 

multiply by the number of smokers 

i agree that all garbage should be also banned

19 hours ago, skorp13 said:

Stop people from smoking cigs to prevent them from getting intoxicated?????? New levels....new levels

11 hours ago, sharpjwe said:

Well I hope the smokers carry their own bin box to keep their trash 

the quiker they are intoxicated the better

away from non smokers and kids

how many tab ends does a smokers 

criminally throws away?

30day x365days x 40 years = 438 000

that is a huge pile 

multiply by the number of smokers 

i agree that all garbage should be also banned

It does seem an incredible amount when you think about it.  But then think about all the other trash we generate!  So why single out fags?

The only honest opinion would go something like this: I don't like cigarettes.  There isn't really any other justification when the matter is considered in the round.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:32 PM, tomacht8 said:

Smoking ban to keep tourists from getting intoxicated at beaches.

Bull.
If anything stinks on the beach, it's dog shit, garbage bags, not emptied trash cans and speedboat- / jet-ski fumes.

I wish some journalist would ask the question about whether they also think jet-ski fumes are intoxicating.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:01 AM, Rimmer said:

Smoking ban to keep tourists from getting intoxicated at beaches

First, what is their evidence to show that smoking and intoxications are connected?  Second, according to this headline/article, only tourists are banned from smoking because it causes them to be intoxicated, but no mention is made about Thais being banned, and thus not being affected negatively by drinking alcoholic beverages.  Don't Thais go to the beaches and smoke and thus become drunk in the process or are they all so law abiding that such would not even enter their minds?

'nuf sed

I always thought it was the other way around. People get intoxicated, and then they want to smoke. Is someone confused? Did they think the smoking ban was for ganga? Or is it just another confused, incompetent official making the bizarre declaration of the day? 

Personally, I have no issue with a smoking ban on the beach. I am always astonished that somehow smokers think they have the right to dispose of their cigarette butts anywhere they happen to be. It is a very ugly habit, but then again smoking is a filthy habit, so perhaps the litterbug part of the equation should be expected?

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I always thought it was the other way around. People get intoxicated, and then they want to smoke. Is someone confused? Did they think the smoking ban was for ganga? Or is it just another confused, incompetent official making the bizarre declaration of the day? 

Personally, I have no issue with a smoking ban on the beach. I am always astonished that somehow smokers think they have the right to dispose of their cigarette butts anywhere they happen to be. It is a very ugly habit, but then again smoking is a filthy habit, so perhaps the litterbug part of the equation should be expected?

I don't dispose of my ciigy butts "anywhere"....

Filthy habit.........You have never farted in a lift...?   :whistling:

5 hours ago, transam said:

I don't dispose of my ciigy butts "anywhere"....

Filthy habit.........You have never farted in a lift...?   :whistling:

I give you credit for disposing of your butts properly. And if I do cut one occasionally while outside, I try to do it when others are not around. Very, very few smokers ever demonstrate that level of courtesy. Yes the smell, the ashes, everything associated with smoking, for a non smoker is filthy. 

Edited by spidermike007