Mobile banking system makes ‘errors’, banks not explaining

webfact

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Ever since Bangkok Bank's "system upgrade" 24-25 August, the iBanking system has been acting strangely for me.   Sometimes works fine like it always had but 1/2 the times, it lags, often taking 30-45 seconds to react to button click.  When that happens, about 1/2 the time, the process Times Out completely.  

Anybody else see this?  Wasn't sure if it was something on my side, 3BB or related to whatever Bangkok Bank did during the system upgrade.

This happened to me early  this morning with Krungsri Bank  I-Banking ; each pages were slow to load. Back to normal now.  I was connected on TOT. And one day last week in the evening , the page was timing out after about 20  second so I could no do any operations.

Edited by cnx355
add text

The Bank of Thailand put out an announcement about this morning's banking chaos on their Facebook page... in Thai.

https://www.facebook.com/bankofthailandofficial/

The EN translation is pretty lousy, but here it is:

(31 s̄ī) 61) Mr. The Soft, the deputy governor of the financial bank, revealed that this morning, there was a large bank that had a large amount of transactions across the bank. There was a problem malfunction, causing a lot of pending items to go to many banks. Tripping or delay in transactions especially mobile banking services

The National Bank has followed the constant troubleshooting and provides the bank to accelerate, including the bank, out of the central system, to reduce the impact with other banks, to be able to get back to work as usual, which is based on the steps that

The National Bank has instructed the bank to have all affected customers, such as case, transfer, incomplete or not receiving money immediately.

In addition, we have ordered a troubled bank to have a plan to elevate the potential, the ability to serve, to support transactions that will be increased in the

Don't see any mention of it at all on the BOT's own EN language webpage....

https://www.bot.or.th/English/Pages/default.aspx

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

This is a global phenomena. We have made our societies much to dependant with the internet and other online protocols....the entire world has become vulnerable and our societies will crash if the connection goes  globally offline,  either from a technical issue,  or a ill intented human action.

It's a favourite subject of mine, but relating to an electric grid being taken down. How would you even know what had happened, with no electricity? Absolutely every form of communication would be gone, including mobile phone masts.

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Bank of Thailand put out an announcement about this morning's banking chaos on their Facebook page... in Thai.

https://www.facebook.com/bankofthailandofficial/

The EN translation is pretty lousy, but here it is:

Don't see any mention of it at all on the BOT's own EN language webpage....

https://www.bot.or.th/English/Pages/default.aspx

And of course, being Thailand, they can't name the bank for fear of prosecution for damaging its business and image.

1 hour ago, Lannig said:

They're lying. Today's their peak day for transactions. No way they would have a planned maintenance today. Doesn't make sense, even in Thailand.

They're hiding some real problems behind a planned maintenance.

You make a very good point.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And of course, being Thailand, they can't name the bank for fear of prosecution for damaging its business and image.

The electronic banking systems of five banks – Krungthai, Kasikornthai, Siam Commercial, Bank of of Ayudhya and Thanachart – crashed today.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/e-banking-systems-of-5-banks-crash/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't it in Bangladesh a few years ago that the central banking communication system was hacked by professionals and millions/billions lost?  I'm sure they retired after that!  Or did they look around for other systems in the world that may not have the best firewalls and computer security systems?

Just asking!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Esso49 said:

I posted very early this morning about Kasikorn.  Other banks are effected.  Strangle in our area not only is fibre internet a problem but AIS comms seem to be experiencing a major problem with 3G/4G , no internet from time to time etc.  Could this be a nationwide cyber strike that the government are not admitting too ?

Or rain?

?

5 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Wasn't it in Bangladesh a few years ago that the central banking communication system was hacked by professionals and millions/billions lost?  I'm sure they retired after that!  Or did they look around for other systems in the world that may not have the best firewalls and computer security systems?

Just asking!

Yes - compromised the SWIFT system somehow -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_Bank_robbery

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a favourite subject of mine, but relating to an electric grid being taken down. How would you even know what had happened, with no electricity? Absolutely every form of communication would be gone, including mobile phone masts.

Facebook Zombies wandering around BKK looking for a signal.

image.png.5212b663aa35285f88fd383209612d21.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

We lost our internet completely a few days ago, for almost 24 hours.

Turned out that ants had chomped their way through a cable back up the line.

The insects are fighting back!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lannig said:

They're lying. Today's their peak day for transactions. No way they would have a planned maintenance today. Doesn't make sense, even in Thailand.

They're hiding some real problems behind a planned maintenance.

I think it is grossly unfair to say 'they're lying'. They were doing maintenance of course, but it was due to an unexpected system failure that they had to respond to.

That's what maintenance teams do. I know. It was my vocation for much of my career.

13 hours ago, Lupatria said:

This "bank" is just one big mess operated by amateurs!

One day i tried to get cash on my creditcard from Krungsri atm...ALL 4! of them went on tilt the same time when i tried to get cash..security came, 50 people watching me, boy was i ashamed. Then the guards/staff told me it's impossible to get cash on creditcard.

So i walked to BKK-bank...did the same thing, got my cash and went back to Krungsri to show them that i got it on my creditcard.

Idiots they are, soooo Thai..

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Esso49 said:

I posted very early this morning about Kasikorn.  Other banks are effected.  Strangle in our area not only is fibre internet a problem but AIS comms seem to be experiencing a major problem with 3G/4G , no internet from time to time etc.  Could this be a nationwide cyber strike that the government are not admitting too ?

They wouldn't know if it was a natinonwide cyber attack or just cr@p internet as usual!

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

They wouldn't know if it was a natinonwide cyber attack or just cr@p internet as usual!

Sorry that you have crap internet. I live out in the sticks and get a great service from CAT. Always close to the speed offered with next to no downtime.

Thai banks ‘prepared’ amid warning of global ATM attack

COMMERCIAL banks in Thailand have boosted security to prevent unauthorised access to their automatic teller machines as cybercriminals are reportedly planning to carry out a large-scale global ATM attack.

According to The Star newspaper, the United States’ Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has received an “unspecified report” that a global attack on ATMs could happen in coming days.

This article was from August 16th 2018- looks like they where not as prepared as they said they would be!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This is a global phenomena. We have made our societies much to dependant with the internet and other online protocols....the entire world has become vulnerable and our societies will crash if the connection goes  globally offline,  either from a technical issue,  or a ill intented human action.
How many recall that the entire European Visa network crashed not so long ago. And what about the failure of Britain's air traffic control system?

Certainly not just a TIT problem.

Sent from my SMART 4G GEN C 5.0 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've given up with my KMA Krungsri App ... it's never worked
Are you referring to the old KMA app, or the new one?

I didn't get on with old one as it still relied on OTPs, which can a bit of a lottery when living out in the sticks.

But the new version is a big improvement as it uses a PIN instead. No more OTPs!

I use the app More than the on-line method now.

Sent from my SMART 4G GEN C 5.0 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app