Sorry for words, but controversial forum will go ahead: Christian college

rooster59

Sorry for words, but controversial forum will go ahead: Christian college

By Kornrawee Panyasuppakun 
The Nation

3b6d94b6f09f3afbc88134a960e8532b.jpeg

Bangkok Christian College has offered an apology for using the phrase “sexual deviation” to describe transgenders but insists it will host a controversial seminar as planned.

The controversy surfaced as gender-diversity groups on Thursday denounced plans by the all-male school to host a seminar for parents on the theme of protecting their children from “sexual deviation”.

The college is backtracking on their language but have no apologies for suggesting parents should be able to impose expectations on their children to identify with the gender they were assigned at birth.

“Bangkok Christian College would like to express an apology that the school’s forum titled, ‘How to raise a child to not be sexually deviated’ causes misunderstanding,” the school wrote on its Facebook page.

“We don’t intend to impose hatred or disgust on sexually diverse students or sexually diverse people,” said Chatchai Charuwatee, a member of the school’s parents association that co-organised the forum.

The seminar, scheduled for September 3, is exclusively for parents of the school’s students and aims to attract 20-30 people, he said.

Parents should be able to raise their children in a way that causes them to identify with their (birth-assigned) biological sex, he insisted.

“I accept and respect LGBT people, but that doesn’t mean I encourage my son to be one,” he said.

“I think the parents should know that sexual deviation is not an illness,” said Wittaya Wuttikriengkrai, who is scheduled to deliver the lecture at the forum. “I want to remind them that even if their son is not a straight man, we must love them. Even if they have a problem and are not what we expected, we shouldn’t love them less,” he said.

The Facebook page carries an advertisement for the event.

The ad copy reads: “Sexual deviation often comes from the environment in childhood, especially from the family. How does sexual deviation affect the children and how can we prevent it?”

But the forum’s theme stigmatises LGBT people, said the gender diversity group opposing the seminar. The forum may also violate the Gender Equality Act 2015, they added.

The law forbids any act that causes division, discrimination or limitation of any rights and benefits due to a person’s sexual orientation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30353490

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-01

34 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

When they bother others,  it's doing God's work,  when others bother them,  it's 'Persecution'.

The Roman Emperor Constantine has a lot to answer for, never mind Caligula, Nero, and Commodus, what a supreme dick he was.

We're still sorting out the religious crimes resulting from his brainwashing to this day.  

Absurd. Christianity had been steadily growing for 300 years and it's likely would have emerged dominant  despite Constantine jumping on the bandwagon, he simply picked the winning horse. We are lucky that he didn't choose one of the many other fringe religious and cultish groups that people could choose from at the time most of which were decidedly wacky.

Besides, what he's really celebrated for, is for establishing Constantinople which allowed the Roman Empire in the East to live on for another 1000 years after the fall of Rome, which isn't bad going.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

And on the dollar notes "In God we trust".   Always thought many Americans were away with the fairies.

Well not quite "Dieu Et Mon Droit" on every British Passport cover?

It doesn't make most Brits religious rednecks based on what their Government print on stuff,  does it?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, car720 said:

I don't know much about the gay stuff except to say that most priests will try to get a feel of your leg if they can and what ever happened to parents telling their kids to look out for weirdos?   Are we still allowed to call them weirdos or is that hate speech?

My priest was really nice, used to take us down the pub after youth club for a bit of underage drinking.

Never tried to feel anyone I knew.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

Christianity not decidedly whacky?  As an armchair historian, shame on you! 

Take the virgin birth, transubstantation, and the ressurection. Absolutely  barking mad,  were it not literally gospel. 

The rest is pure speculation,  were dealing now with the damage done. 

Christianity has been rightfully de-fanged, that's the reason why we are able to even have this discussion, and the sooner all other divinely deluded dropkicks, including this saffron loving lot, do the same,  the better the world will be. 

Be a sport, give people who want faith the right to have faith.

If you could do, would you ban religion knowing well many need religion and banning religion is the same as forcing a religion on someone?

And what about freedom of expression, freedom to think what you think?

I am not into religion, leave anybody to his of her own feeling, and if that group believes what they believe and want to have a seminar about it, who am I, and others, to try to stop them?

I think the protestors should think again, it is no use to stop that seminar and it will not change the ideas of the organisers of the seminar.

Forcing your points home never works.

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Be a sport, give people who want faith the right to have faith.

If you could do, would you ban religion knowing well many need religion and banning religion is the same as forcing a religion on someone?

And what about freedom of expression, freedom to think what you think?

I am not into religion, leave anybody to his of her own feeling, and if that group believes what they believe and want to have a seminar about it, who am I, and others, to try to stop them?

I think the protestors should think again, it is no use to stop that seminar and it will not change the ideas of the organisers of the seminar.

Forcing your points home never works.

Where did I say others should be banned from Faith?  

Nobody but me gives a shit about my opinion anyway,  I know that. ?

What I would prefer,  but won't lose sleep over,  is religions paying their bloody taxes. Particularly Christianity and Islam,  who pontificate on taxation. 

Also,  your last sentence,  again,  mystifying.  Perhaps you should tell that to an ordained person,  they force their crap on entire nations. 

7 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

Where did I say others should be banned from Faith?  

Nobody but me gives a shit about my opinion anyway,  I know that. ?

What I would prefer,  but won't lose sleep over,  is religions paying their bloody taxes. Particularly Christianity and Islam,  who pontificate on taxation. 

Also,  your last sentence,  again,  mystifying.  Perhaps you should tell that to an ordained person,  they force their crap on entire nations. 

Yep, never ending circle, get the people indoctrinated and they will do the same to their kids.

I can understand those of 'low' IQ going for religion because they might believe the crap. Those with some grey matter between their ears are in it for the money.

Give me one good reason why religion needs money. 

Do sky gods drive a Rolls-Royce nowadays?

• Like 1

An interesting but not really possible experiment would be children never being exposed to any religious experience or teaching in school, I did say not  really possible. 

I wonder how many of them would start to feel the need for it ( religion ) as they grew up.

I wouldn't see them turning into uncaring or bad individuals as a result.

Let's face it, all religions started from an ignorance of science and why we actually exist on the planet and was taken over by those who wanted money and power over others to excuse the fact they were the biggest baddest a--holes around at the time.

4 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Mental deviation always comes from the environment in childhood, especially from the family. How does mental deviation affect the children and how can we prevent it?”

Answer: dont pass on the virus called 'Religion' teach kids to evaluate the EVIDENCE for a faith based belief,  after they turn 21. 

I came to Thailand to get rid of that old testament shit 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Then why go ahead with this divisive and hateful re-education seminar on "sexual deviation" ?

Hatred and oppression dressed up in religious piety. Plus ça change.

You are misrepresenting the situation. There is no question of children being "re-educated". The theme of the college seminar is prevention, rather than cure.

With the suicide rate for transgender youngsters many times that of the general population (after as well as before transition) woke parents may consider such an objective worthy of their support.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

You are misrepresenting the situation. There is no question of children being "re-educated". The theme of the college seminar is prevention, rather than cure.

With the suicide rate for transgender youngsters many times that of the general population (after as well as before transition) woke parents may consider such an objective worthy of their support.

How do you "prevent" a person from choosing their equilibrium sexuality?  By creating feelings of shame.

The suicide rate for transgenders is a multiple because the teachings of religious bodies of all stripes is the only "natural" sexuality is between a man and a woman. Which is complete crap, because there are plenty of examples in species other than the human race where sexuality can be a number of variants.

Sorry, but your logic is way off on this issue.

I'm as straight as they come. However, it sickens me when religious <deleted> try to direct and control human sexuality.

They've been at it for centuries, and it's time to tell them to rack off.

Do you know why the Roman Catholic Church imposes celibacy on its priests? Nothing to do with chastity, it's to protect church property from inheritance claims. Then the cardinals wonder why said celibate priests start fiddling with altar boys. It's a statistical inevitability.

• Like 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

How do you "prevent" a person from choosing their equilibrium sexuality?  By creating feelings of shame.

The suicide rate for transgenders is a multiple because the teachings of religious bodies of all stripes is the only "natural" sexuality is between a man and a woman. Which is complete crap, because there are plenty of examples in species other than the human race where sexuality can be a number of variants.

Sorry, but your logic is way off on this issue.

I'm as straight as they come. However, it sickens me when religious <deleted> try to direct and control human sexuality.

They've been at it for centuries, and it's time to tell them to rack off.

Do you know why the Roman Catholic Church imposes celibacy on its priests? Nothing to do with chastity, it's to protect church property from inheritance claims. Then the cardinals wonder why said celibate priests start fiddling with altar boys. It's a statistical inevitability.

Not necesarily. Maybe, rather than pluck an explanation out of the air,  you should  attend the seminar.

The suicide rate for transgenders is a multiple because the teachings of religious bodies of all stripes is the only "natural" sexuality is between a man and a woman.

Nope. There a number of reasons, including the fact that youngsters with doubts about their sexuality frequently suffer from conditions other than gender dysphoria which also have a high suicide rate. The research is out there.

. . . it sickens me when religious <deleted> try to direct and control human sexuality

Me, too. But right most of the control being exerted on young people seems to be coming from the non-binary lobby and organisations which stand to gain commercially from encouraging "gender fluidity".

I don't know about your last point, but one has to question just how popular is a religious leader who drives around in a bullet-proof car (and probaby wears a bullet-proof vest for all we know).

4 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Not necesarily. Maybe, rather than pluck an explanation out of the air,  you should  attend the seminar.

No thanks. I'd sooner chew razor blades.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1