Taking Urimax (Tamsulosin) for prostate, not sure I should continue.

giddyup

I started taking Urimax 0.4 two weeks ago, but if anything the symptoms, ie difficulty peeing and frequent urination at night, seem to have become worse. I know it's only been two weeks, but apparently there is supposed to be some improvement in that time. Not sure if I should persevere for a bit longer or go back to see the doctor.

Edited by giddyup

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If no improvement after 2 weeks, you need to go back to the doctor to try something else. You would notice the difference by now.

OK thanks. Gets expensive trying something new, most of these prostate medication are over 1000 baht for a months supply.

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

OK thanks. Gets expensive trying something new, most of these prostate medication are over 1000 baht for a months supply.

Have you tried Cardura XL? Should notice the difference in 2 weeks.

Also good for high blood pressure!

And read this as an option; available in Oz and the US as well as poss other places. Had this been available a few years ago I'd have been there like a shot.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12115542

22 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Have you tried Cardura XL? Should notice the difference in 2 weeks.

Also good for high blood pressure!

And read this as an option; available in Oz and the US as well as poss other places. Had this been available a few years ago I'd have been there like a shot.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12115542

Yes, have already done some research on the Urolift procedure, not available in Thailand unfortunately. How much is the Cardura XL? BTW, Urimax also lowers blood pressure.

Edited by giddyup

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, have already done some research on the Urolift procedure, not available in Thailand unfortunately. How much is the Cardura XL? BTW, Urimax also lowers blood pressure.

As I recall it costs about 800 baht for a months supply, but shop around as prices vary (I get mine from a Pharmacy warehouse type outlet).

T3-4 years ago I was suffering from frequent/urgent urination and  my Thai doctor (She is the most highly regarded GP in the Chiang Mai area amongst the Ex Community) recommended I take Doxazosine 4mg... This has worked wonderfully and  the only side effect is morning wood..

Cost 800 baht for a box of 100 (+3 month supply)...

C9A55EEC-3A10-4BAA-AE0F-39349E349A54.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin

3 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

T3-4 years ago I was suffering from frequent/urgent urination and  my Thai doctor (She is the most highly regarded GP in the Chiang Mai area amongst the Ex Community) recommended I take Doxazosine 4mg... This has worked wonderfully and  the only side effect is morning wood..

Cost 800 baht for a box of 100 (+3 month supply)...

C9A55EEC-3A10-4BAA-AE0F-39349E349A54.jpeg

Did it make urinating easier, or just stopped you going so frequently? 800 baht for 3 months is a lot cheaper than either Uromax of Harnal Ocas.

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Is that Cardura 4mg?

Yes but the "better" (supposedly) tablet is the Cardura XL, which is the extended release version.

Having said that the Pencor Thai equivalent is much cheaper and may well be worth a try.

Tamsulosin didn't seem to work so well, if at all, for me.

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

Have you not considered any natural remedies? rather than filling "Big Pharma's" coffers ?

If you are talking about Saw Palmetto etc, the natural remedies did nothing for me. I do take Apple Cider Vinegar with honey every morning for the last 6 months, which is supposed to reduce the prostate size, but can't say that has made any difference either.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If no improvement after 2 weeks, you need to go back to the doctor to try something else. You would notice the difference by now.

When I went to see the urologist at Phitsanulok Hospital, after an ultrasound scan had showed an enlarged prostate, he said 'You have enlarged prostate' He suggested medication, and when I showed him the list I had got from Google he simply pointed at one, Harnal Orcas, and said 'Try that one'. It gave me such bad rhinitus (runny nose) I gave up after a week, and haven't taken any thing since. The nightly loo visits usually depend on the Singha intake !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

When I went to see the urologist at Phitsanulok Hospital, after an ultrasound scan had showed an enlarged prostate, he said 'You have enlarged prostate' He suggested medication, and when I showed him the list I had got from Google he simply pointed at one, Harnal Orcas, and said 'Try that one'. It gave me such bad rhinitus (runny nose) I gave up after a week, and haven't taken any thing since. The nightly loo visits usually depend on the Singha intake !

The urologist at Bkk/Pattaya hospital started me on Harnal as well, but I gave up after a month with no improvement. I have pretty much given up on beer now, but still need at least 2-3 loo visits a night.

Edited by giddyup

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The urologist at Bkk/Pattaya hospital started me on Harnal as well, but I gave up after a month with no improvement. I have pretty much given up on beer now, but still need at least 2-3 loo visits a night.

Then why give up the beer?  lol

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you are talking about Saw Palmetto etc, the natural remedies did nothing for me. I do take Apple Cider Vinegar with honey every morning for the last 6 months, which is supposed to reduce the prostate size, but can't say that has made any difference either.

Same here and have tried:-

Saw palmetto, Zinc, Pollen tablets,  Stinging nettle, Turmeric, Quercetin, Pumpkin seed, Lycopene, Green tea extract, Pomegranate extract, Trans resveratrol, Lignan extract, selenium, Pygeum………..plus a few others I've probably forgotten!!

One that seems to work for me is Beta Sitosterol tablets which I buy from iHerb.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

One that seems to work for me is Beta Sitosterol tablets which I buy from iHerb.

Tried that as well, can't remember it doing anything for me either. So instead of making Big Pharma richer, I've added to the coffers of the natural remedy producers.

• Haha 1

I was diagnosed with enlarged prostate (BPH) and with both Tamsulosin 0.4mg and Proscar 5mg I do quite well. Most nights I sleep through the night. 24 hour control of urine is greatly improved not just at night.

I am considering getting a roto-rooter so I don't have to take the medicine.

1 minute ago, jmd8800 said:

I was diagnosed with enlarged prostate (BPH) and with both Tamsulosin 0.4mg and Proscar 5mg I do quite well. Most nights I sleep through the night. 24 hour control of urine is greatly improved not just at night.

It seems that the Urolift procedure is the way to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Is that the equivalent is the TURP operation, if so have had that with some "not good" results and if I was facing a choice now it would certainly be the Urolift………..cost and travel costs pale into insignificance compared to the benefit/relief this operation seems to confer.

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There are quite a few "natural" products - off course "one size doesn't fit all" iherb.com has an assortment, sure something would help, most "drugs" are based on natural products then synthesized and sold at a huge product.

I have been taking various "natural" products for many years now, well into my sixties and holding up ok, great believer in prevention being the best cure! ?

I know that doesn't help you too much ? 

1 minute ago, CGW said:

There are quite a few "natural" products - off course "one size doesn't fit all" iherb.com has an assortment, sure something would help, most "drugs" are based on natural products then synthesized and sold at a huge product.

I have been taking various "natural" products for many years now, well into my sixties and holding up ok, great believer in prevention being the best cure! ?

I know that doesn't help you too much ? 

Believe me, I have tried a fair assortment, nothing showed any positive results. There's probably some extract from a beetle in the Amazon that I haven't tried yet.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Just a thought giddyup……...have you researched whether Urolift is performed in India??

Closer to Thailand, with good medical care/system, well trained Drs (apparently) and much cheaper.

Yes, I believe some members have already had the procedure there.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Did it make urinating easier, or just stopped you going so frequently? 800 baht for 3 months is a lot cheaper than either Uromax of Harnal Ocas.

I never had a problem urinating.. But the drug is designed to relax the muscles in the general area... As for an enlarged prostate as some have spoken mine is large but I have been told in was told that for the last 10 years we’ll before I experienced any problems...