A DIY oil-drum barbecue

Crossy

2 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Its a good paint job,  which is why I mentioned the need for air holes to give you a good blow job.

Its steel as the re-bar lid stays  are welded to it

Must have used the new "string Welder" !

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

Its a good paint job,  which is why I mentioned the need for air holes to give you a good blow job.

Its steel as the re-bar lid stays  are welded to it

No it's plastic 

the rebar lid stays go through they aren't welded, everything is screwed on, the lid with no hinge would buckle in a different way in a steel barrel, the extra thickness stiffening is on the inside only and the bunghole area is an obvious moulding not stamped.

The support cradle would easily fit a steel barrel but it's a prank picture.

25 minutes ago, Arjen said:

I made several BBQ's from old oil drums. The life time is (with daily use) about one month. I made the stand from wood, and the stand survived 5 BBQ's. The steel from an oil drum is not suitable for a BBQ.

Arjen.

Really ? well agreed not daily use but our 3 are still going strong after 3 years.  Now guess that depends the internal design.  Mine does not have charcoal resting directly on the the skin of the drum but a rebar mesh.  This gives adequate ventilation as well as allowing the ash to drop down whilst preserving the steel from red heat. The rebar mesh,  made by me has had one replacement in that time.

Yeah, ours (no, not a plastic one) is lined with a layer of the small building bricks (no cement or the like), keeps the charcoal off the metalwork and improves the life significantly. Used several times a week we're managing a couple of years before the bottom rots out.