Thai passport renewal in Birmingham Temple UK.

The Thai embassy are holding an outreach passport renewel in the Birmingham temple this weekend 8th & 9th 

As usual, no information on their main London Embassy!

looked online and they say we need Thai house registration and Thai ID card to renew our sons passport, neither of which we needed when we got him his passport in Poole, Dorset, UK a few years ago. 

Anyone any idea just what we need to take with us? 

We have talked to the London Embassy and have had 3 different answers!

last time in Poole, the Thai Ambassador and his assistant did the passport and photos for us, but as we know, Thai rules change from day to day. 

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

At the outreach applying for the passport would be no different than applying at the embassy.  Required documents are here on embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82038-Thai-Passport.html

No photos are needed. They will do the photo digitally.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

The link to the Embassy site indeed shows the required documents, however, our son doesn’t have a Thai ID Card, no Thai birth Certificate and he is not registered on any Thai house registration. 

Only my wife has Thai ID. 

He does have dual citizenship (British/Thai as does my wife) with British Birth certificate and normally resides in the UK, with frequent long stays in Thailand. 

Will the fact he doesn’t have Thai ID or Thai Birth Certificate and is not on any Thai house registration affect his Passport renewal application!

Spoke to the Thai embassy again this morning, but didn’t get a straight answer, so don’t want to do a round trip of 8 hours for nothing. 

Forgot to mention, he is 7 years old. 

Edited by khundon

54 minutes ago, khundon said:

The link to the Embassy site indeed shows the required documents, however, our son doesn’t have a Thai ID Card, no Thai birth Certificate and he is not registered on any Thai house registration. 

If he does not have a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in London he will not be able to get a Thai passport.

Birth registration info is here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82037-Birth-&-Death-Registration.html#1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If he does not have a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in London he will not be able to get a Thai passport.

Birth registration info is here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82037-Birth-&-Death-Registration.html#1

Thanks unonjoe

the strange thing is, that our son has never had a Thai Birth certificate, only a British one!

He has had two Thai passports, both issued in the UK. One from the Thai Embassy in London and one at an outreach day in Poole UK a couple of years ago. 

He has traveled extensively with us, hence the need for his Third Thai passport (he is also on his third UK Passport) but for the life of me, I can’t remember the Thai Embassy ever asking for a Thai birth certificate?

On 9/5/2018 at 1:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

At the outreach applying for the passport would be no different than applying at the embassy.  Required documents are here on embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82038-Thai-Passport.html

No photos are needed. They will do the photo digitally.

5 hours ago, khundon said:

Thanks unonjoe

the strange thing is, that our son has never had a Thai Birth certificate, only a British one!

He has had two Thai passports, both issued in the UK. One from the Thai Embassy in London and one at an outreach day in Poole UK a couple of years ago. 

He has traveled extensively with us, hence the need for his Third Thai passport (he is also on his third UK Passport) but for the life of me, I can’t remember the Thai Embassy ever asking for a Thai birth certificate?

How can your 7 year old son be on his third UK passport? A UK passport is usually for 10 years so requiring a third UK passport would mean that your son would be well over 20 years old.

3 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

How can your 7 year old son be on his third UK passport?

He is asking about getting a Thai passport not a UK passport. Thai passports are only valid for 5 years.

No sure but I think UK passports for children are only valid for 5 years.

30 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

How can your 7 year old son be on his third UK passport? A UK passport is usually for 10 years so requiring a third UK passport would mean that your son would be well over 20 years old.

I guess it is because the first two passports became full. Note, however, that a UK child passport is only valid for five years, not 10.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

I guess it is because the first two passports became full. Note, however, that a UK child passport is only valid for five years, not 10.

Ok, I now understand the difference in length of time adult and child UK passports  however my point is, if the child is on his third UK passport i.e. two have expired,  then 2 x 5 = 10 years even if the first passport was obtained shortly after birth. It's fairly academic either way but am i missing something?

6 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

Ok, I now understand the difference in length of time adult and child UK passports  however my point is, if the child is on his third UK passport i.e. two have expired,  then 2 x 5 = 10 years even if the first passport was obtained shortly after birth. It's fairly academic either way but am i missing something?

When traveling frequently, I have occasionally filled a 48 page passport in less than 18 months. I find it totally believable, depending on the countries visited, that a child's 32 page passport could become full after three years or so.

6 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

The kid travels a lot with the family and his 5-year passports fill up BEFORE they expire and need replacing.

For the same reasons I have had maybe 18 UK 10-year passports and I am nowhere near 180 years old!

On 9/6/2018 at 2:58 PM, NanLaew said:

The kid travels a lot with the family and his 5-year passports fill up BEFORE they expire and need replacing.

For the same reasons I have had maybe 18 UK 10-year passports and I am nowhere near 180 years old!

NanLaew, correct, he has filled up his passports with immigration stamps. 

Back to the passport issue. 

We have been told that we can get a Thai Birth certificate at the outreach in Birmingham today, then they will give him a new passport as well. 

Good news, as we will only have to make one trip to Birmingham, much easier than a trip to London with an overnight stay, to be at the embassy at 9 am!

Still not sure how we were given his previous passports without a Thai berth certificate. 

Thanks everyone. ????

On 9/6/2018 at 2:53 PM, khundon said:

Thanks unonjoe

Highly doubtful that he’s never had a Thai BC. They are issued by the embassy in the case of an overseas birth, and have already been necessary in issuing previous passports.

Anyway, interested in hearing how you go getting a new BC for your child. As far as I know, only one Thai BC can ever be issued, so what they give you will be interesting. 

All the best with the paperwork.