I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Eking out on 40k a single man. Me and three kids live very nicely on 30k a month, and we can even afford to go to Ramayana water park this weekend. Food, utilities just about everything except booze is cheap here.

Booze is far more expensive in bars in the west than it is in thailand.

Supermarket booze is pretty similar

5 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Booze is far more expensive in bars in the west than it is in thailand.

Supermarket booze is pretty similar

It depends, a decent bottle of French wine can be easily found here in supermarkets for five Pounds, that's only 200 baht - a pint of quality real ale in Weatherspoons is heavily subsidized at one Pound sixty, about the same price as a large bottle of Chang.

• Like 2

I'm sure the same thoughts as the OP has had have crossed the minds of many people with home currencies declining against the Baht (which includes most countries, except maybe Switzerland). Even if you've got enough money to continue living in Thailand at, say, 35 Baht/£, or 20 Baht/A$, or 30 Baht/

€, it represents very poor value for money compared with your home country and also many neighbouring countries. In effect, you're simply throwing money away simply to stay in a country with a heavily overvalued currency. You may have good reasons for doing that, family dependents and so on, but if not then why not just move on to greener pastures and see how you like it? You can always go back home if nothing works out for you.

Cambodia would be my choice at the moment, it used to be simple to stay there long-term using annual business visas, not sure if that's still the case but I've got a mate who's been living in Snooky for ten years and he has no problems staying there. The economy is dollarised so at least you know where you are in the currency markets, not like Thailand where absolutely nothing seems to have a negative effect on the rock-solid Baht. I enjoy good wine and beer and the price of both in Thailand is ludicrous. Another 10% or 20% drop in my home currency and the prices will become madness. Don't get me wrong, I've been visiting Thailand since 1983 and living here since 2004 and I've enjoyed myself greatly, but all good things must come to an end. In the 80's I used to spend a lot of time in Singapore and had friends and family living there. I don't go there any more, the place has become far too expensive, and there's no reason I can see the way the currency markets seem to view the Baht that Thailand won't end up the same way.

• Like 2

I live most of the time in Australia on not much more than THB40,000 per month and I live OK. I'm able to live better in Thailand on around THB25K per month, although I don't have to cover rent when I'm here.  I don't need a lot of money to feel OK:  I'm happy if I have a quiet place to live in, OK neighbours, clean water, clean air (not always possible in Thailand), and good food, plus access to a lap pool and gym. 

As for insurance, I am covered in Oz, and travel insurance covers me when in Thailand, but if I lived in Thailand on a full time basis, health insurance would be beyond me. In any event, I'm still healthy and try to stay away from doctors and medication through exercise, attitude and dietary intake, I figure that's the best insurance I can take out.

I have a friend who has church subsidised housing in a large NSW country town. Her rent on a 1BR unit in a mostly owner-occupied complex is $115 per week and her pension is, I'm guessing, around four times that amount. It's possible to live in Australia on the age pension, but not if you're paying market rent.

What keeps me from living in Thailand most of the time is that once I lose Australian residency I need to live six months back in Australia in order to access Medicare, although I'm not sure how tough that line is in practice. My choice is to keep my Australian residency and keep coming here as a visitor, don't know how long I can stay commuting, though.

To the OP, if I were in your shoes, I'd stay where I am. Maybe it's a matter of prioritising, but I think living in Thailand on a modest income is very do-able. I don't see any shame in not having insurance beyond self-insurance, some well known Australians (Paul Keating is one of them) put the money for insurance premiums aside, instead of taking out private health insurance, and use that money to pay their own way in the private health system. I don't see anything wrong with that.  

There is nothing wrong with that (as long as you have a plan for what to do when/if the finds set aside are exhausted). But that is not what most "self insured" expats in Thailand do and unlikely to be what the OP does/can do. Rather, they are both without insurance and without significant savings. In other words, uninsured and unprepared in the event of a major illness or accident.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1) The visa situation can be resolved in many creative ways (if any problem at all in the first place).
2) It is easily doable to live a really comfortable life with the 40k baht.
3) All you have to do is not take bar girls more than a few times a month (if desired at all).
4) Have some drinks at home before going out to a bar (if drinking a lot) and not too often as well.

What is the problem at all really? Unless you want to live the hardcore party life multiple days a week, there isn't any I can imagine. You can easily have an average of 1k baht a day in spending money after rent etc, which would even cover daily beers at the bars (half would even still allow you doing so).

P.S. I personally think that the baht will be less strong again in the mid term future, pretend you only have 35k already and save that difference in the mean while.

Edited by ReneTH
  • Like 2

I think the OP's right to consider where his exchange rate floor is and to decide what his active plan B should be, what if the currency keeps on falling, it's better to plan and potentially act now at leisure rather than to be forced to act later in haste.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I think the OP's right to consider where his exchange rate floor is and to decide what his active plan B should be, what if the currency keeps on falling, it's better to plan and potentially act now at leisure rather than to be forced to act later in haste.

Well, I doubt it be better in neighbouring countries then as well... Even if the 40k decreased 15% more, he still be fine (if using a different path to obtain the visa as of financial proof).

But if any, I guess i would switch between Cambodia, Laos and Thailand for averages and fun.

Edited by ReneTH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I know a couple of Thai families living quite well on 10k/month (and paying rent and uni fees for their kids out of that).

As for health care, some of us aren't constantly ill, my last visit to a doctor was 4 years back for a few stitches after a crash (about 1,000bht). I live well on 20k/month + house loan repayments.

I've not had any health insurance since I left the UK.

Yes and one bout of not too serious illness, will deplete you financially. And a serious illness will totally wipe you out. Wise up cheap Charlie 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

The British Consulate letter for income is based on the GROSS income you show, not NET.

The income I mentioned is not for visa purposes, it's just spending money, I have plenty of baht stashed away so the visa is not an issue.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ReneTH said:

Well, I doubt it be better in neighbouring countries then as well... Even if the 40k decreased 15% more, he still be fine (if using a different path to obtain the visa as of financial proof).

But if any, I guess i would switch between Cambodia, Laos and Thailand for averages and fun.

Not at 70 years of age you wouldn't.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

You could consider moving to another part of Thailand where the rents are cheaper as is often the case with the food and I also considered this, and for my money Chiang Rai would be an option for me, although it is short of vibrancy, it does have lots of other things going for it.

Chiang Rai is quite vibrant if you know where to look. It's actually more central to a number of attractions than Chiang Mai, although admittedly the bar scene is a lot smaller.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

All those things you mention are not FREE. They are/were paid for by UK TAXPAYERS, who now in their twilight years cannot get a decent pension.

I HAVE PAID UK TAX SINCE 1958 mate full 44 years and still pay

Edited by alzack