I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

On 9/19/2018 at 3:31 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I am totally onboard with having a bolt hole.

I’ve said this in many threads over the years. I’m always amazed at how many seem to think that selling up their entire life to go to Thailand, where you are at best a temporary ‘guest’, is a good idea. If not insane, it's reckless at best.

You never know what could happen. The regime du jour changes immigration policy, woman problems, health...the list goes on and on.

All the time I lived in Thailand, I still had a house back in the States, which I knew I could always, and as it happens ultimately did, return to.

If I bought 20,000 baht worth of gold in Thailand in 1968 and put it in a safety deposit box here now it would be worth about 800,000 baht does that sound insane or reckless to you? 

Someone can check if my gold figures are correct.  I think they might be low. 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If I bought 20,000 baht worth of gold in Thailand in 1968 and put it in a safety deposit box here now it would be worth about 800,000 baht does that sound insane or reckless to you? 

Someone can check if my gold figures are correct.  I think they might be low. 

As best I can find out, in 1970, there were around 20bt/$, and gold was c. $40/oz.

So your 20,000bt, would have bought you around 25 oz of gold.

That would now be worth $30,000 or almost 1 Million bt.

Of course, you could have bought 7 Bitcoin (costing around 20,000 bt) much more recently during 2013, which would now also now be worth around 1MMbt (or 3MM in Jan).

18 minutes ago, mogandave said:

No, only papers

Oh my and here I've been doing it all these years.  You go into this little room and you are alone with the box. 

There are three main ways to store gold:

At home

In a safety deposit box

With a bullion dealer

https://www.goldindustrygroup.com.au/news/2017/3/7/buying-gold-where-to-store

Everyone I know stores jewelry in safety deposit boxes and jewelry has or is gold.  I think it's OK.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Call me "stupid" if you want. I don't think I'm stupid but whether some strangers on the internet think I am isn't going to keep me up at night. 

The term "stupid people" was directed at an example of folks MoganDave described not you

You perhaps were foolish/ill informed or neither I do not know.

I guess the simple test would be to look at price you got what 12 years or so ago?

Then look at price today of same asset.

If it went down your neither

If it went up well...you could have done much better..No real market timing involved

unless you bought in  a ghetto

Selling/mortgage etc is all the same..You get paid your current equity

But with one your done after one round. With the other you may repeat many times in your life on the exact same asset

while letting others pay it off. Yes some pay a management fee boo hoo.... who cares? House paid you in full many times

In any case not interested in your test result..just saying that is the simple litmus test.

The other of course is selling an asset for another asset that outperformed the one you sold.

Somehow I think not what happened in your case given your long running thread in search of the bottom of the US areas to

relocate to ?

Edited by meechai
  • Sad 1

On 9/27/2018 at 5:23 PM, bwpage3 said:

Florida has an excellent year round warm climate.

Large house, land with many Thai fruit trees, close to the beach.

BY THE BEAUTIFUL SEA (1914)

By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea! 
You and me, you and me, oh how happy we'll be! 
When each wave comes a-rolling in 
We will duck or swim, 
And we'll float and fool around the water. 

Over and under, and then up for air,
Pa is rich, Ma is rich, so now what do we care? 
I love to be beside your side, beside the sea, 
Beside the seaside, by the beautiful sea! 

Where do you get the idea that Canada is dirt cheap? I love in Canada 1/2, as do my brothers and sisters.  At 2000$ a month you are a pauper in Canada. The only real benefit is having medical. There are not that many perks for being over 65. My mother and her husband make 3000 a month between them and they are in their 70s/80s. They can't afford to go to movies, or for dinner, travel, or much else. They lost their home years ago when the bank foreclosed on them. Their rent is almost 1/2 their income. The cost of food here is outrageous and the over 65 perks are minimal... First you have to be able to afford them to take advantage of them. 

My mortgage in Thailand 250, my brothers mortgage in Cranbrook 1200. 

Our monthly grocery bill in Thailand 150-200 for 2, the average my brothers and sisters pay in Canada is 500-700 for 2 a month, depending on how much healthy food you want. 

Our utilities in Thailand come to about 80 a month, with air, for a 3 bedroom townhouse. My sister pays 80 a month just for electricity in a 2 bedroom house. Cable and Internet cost her 150, gas averages to 70 a month, and her cell phone is 75 a month, basic plan. 

All numbers in Canadian dollars. 

I have friends in canads who are struggling to live making 100000 a year because the cost of living in Canada is so high. My wife and I live a very good life here in Thailand on 35000 baht a month, and we save money. 

Oh yes... Can't forget this... Medical... I pay 1700 baht a month. But then I told the insurance company I did not want a private room, that the provincial public hospitals were fine with me, and I did not care if noone spoke English. Their quote went from 4800 baht down to 1700 baht a month by doing that. 

That's funny. Please tell us which insurance accepts 1700 baht a month at your age? You talking accident or medical?
  • Confused 1

How good it the Thai “social security” coverage?

It’s (I think) 450 a month.
It is definitely the best insurance deal to be had if you can get it. There is no limit on coverage amount and it covers both in and outpatient. The only limitation is that you can only use it at the hospital you register under the scheme at (or other hospital they refer you to). Where people have difficulties is usually do to being registered at a really poor quality hospital. Most private hospitals decline to join the scheme. Selection of hospital is very important and warrants some investigation. It is possible to change selection at certain times of the year.

Once covered by Soc Sec for I think 13 months you can continue it for life making the oayments on your own.

For someone settling here who can't afford private insurance it would be worth trying to work for the first year just to have this.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 5:23 PM, bwpage3 said:

Plenty of things to see and do.

People drive sanely!

Just remember to bring a gun , you don't want to walk out late at night in US cities . 

• Confused 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:31 AM, baansgr said:

Eking out on 40k a single man. Me and three kids live very nicely on 30k a month, and we can even afford to go to Ramayana water park this weekend. Food, utilities just about everything except booze is cheap here.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing as 40k is a lot unless you want to live above your funds which a lot tend to do all over the world. I do not have children but me and wife take care of her sons kids (2) during the week to be able to go to school as his mother in law does not take the children to the one by his house. 2 kids plus 2 dogs (ours).

On 9/5/2018 at 5:32 AM, meechai said:

Yes like I said basically Thais can & do of course live on less

Would I want to live on $300 a month? Nah

As for health insurance yeah I'm over 60 & never been sick as an adult aside from 1 food poisoning I rode out in Thailand..

Will I eventually be sick enough to need help?

Have a heart prob?

Cant say but many do & they without insurance in Thailand have become a real sore spot for others retiring there as the Thai government has taken notice

of many like yourself. But good luck to you or hope your luck continues to hold tight or until Thai Imm forces you to have it rather than a go fund me page later ?

It's great to hear that you do not have any (discernable) health issues at the age of 60+. In fact just like me at the same age but during an aeromedical license exam I was diagnosed with hypertansion. Labelled the silent killer if not treated sooner than later; all well now, however with familial history of stroke it could have been another story. Genuinly, have a long healthy life but be aware of high BP

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2018 at 8:38 AM, WinterGael said:

Where do you get the idea that Canada is dirt cheap? I love in Canada 1/2, as do my brothers and sisters.  At 2000$ a month you are a pauper in Canada. The only real benefit is having medical. There are not that many perks for being over 65. My mother and her husband make 3000 a month between them and they are in their 70s/80s. They can't afford to go to movies, or for dinner, travel, or much else. They lost their home years ago when the bank foreclosed on them. Their rent is almost 1/2 their income. The cost of food here is outrageous and the over 65 perks are minimal... First you have to be able to afford them to take advantage of them. 

My mortgage in Thailand 250, my brothers mortgage in Cranbrook 1200. 

Our monthly grocery bill in Thailand 150-200 for 2, the average my brothers and sisters pay in Canada is 500-700 for 2 a month, depending on how much healthy food you want. 

Our utilities in Thailand come to about 80 a month, with air, for a 3 bedroom townhouse. My sister pays 80 a month just for electricity in a 2 bedroom house. Cable and Internet cost her 150, gas averages to 70 a month, and her cell phone is 75 a month, basic plan. 

All numbers in Canadian dollars. 

I have friends in canads who are struggling to live making 100000 a year because the cost of living in Canada is so high. My wife and I live a very good life here in Thailand on 35000 baht a month, and we save money. 

Oh yes... Can't forget this... Medical... I pay 1700 baht a month. But then I told the insurance company I did not want a private room, that the provincial public hospitals were fine with me, and I did not care if noone spoke English. Their quote went from 4800 baht down to 1700 baht a month by doing that. 

Why don't you compare the cost of living in Thailand with the cost of living in Africa?

It would make just as much sense.

Apples to apples.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1