What's the point of so much power?

OneMoreFarang

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nonsense from a petrol head. I had a Honda CBR600 and BMW GS800F but i grew out of "needing" big bikes. In Thailand you don't need it, its mainly a macho thing just accept it

You don't "need" any motorbike, a bicycle and the bus will do just fine. It's simply about fun and convenience

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:
20 hours ago, VYCM said:

Yeh right……..5555

What was your car a Bugatti Veyron?

That’s the only car that would achieve that 0 – 100 in 2.6 seconds

Vacuum seems to be a fibber. 

He mentioned racing - which is not comparable to street legal "standard" cars.

Do you know what a Bugatti Veyron is?

It is a road registered racing car which outperforms most racing cars when it was released.

What racing are you talking about F1?

Do you understand how much power is needed to get from 0 – 100 in 2.6 seconds?

You don't "need" any motorbike, a bicycle and the bus will do just fine. It's simply about fun and convenience
Fun and convenience i can understand. Not much convenience with a big bike about town. I can understand a powerful bike for track days and the like but to just purr about town with a muffler is just knobby

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Are you for real?

You have an extremely polarizing view of need vs convenience. 

I need a motorcycle to go to the shops, pickup some groceries etc.... I need a motorcycle to get to my football matches... a 30min motorcycle journey would take 2 hours on the bus and probably a similar amount by bicycle..... 

Of course, you could argue that the motorcycle is offering a 1.5 hr convenience, 3 hrs there and back - but thats hardly a realistic measure of need vs convenience. 

You may argue I don't need to play football... Well realistically, I don't need to live where I live, I don't need to live in Thailand, I don't need to go out and do the shopping at all, I could have it all delivered. 

There is a lot of 'stuff' I don't need to do....  

The same argument is used when people say we don't need a car in Bangkok... a 4 year old in a car seat puts that one nicely to bed. 

The 'need' argument is always flawed when viewed with practical balance. 

-------

Back on topic and regarding power for a bike. I like a more powerful bike, but my 155cc is enough in Bangkok although sometimes I'd like a little more grunt to squeeze ahead of a potential situation when traveling above 80kmh. 

Outside of Bangkok's city streets the 155cc is clearly never enough. I can't see the point of 150+ HP... but I've never used that much anyway. I think the point of riding the MHS loop and other mountainous, curvy roads with a more powerful bike makes a lot of sense. 

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
Nonsense from a non-enthusiast,  saying it's a macho thing is out of context.
Those 2 bikes you've had just shows you haven't experience power.

I bet you 10 baht you have one of those loud muffler exhaust things

No you've lost  ?  have new CFR250 and keeping it OEM I'm not fit enough anymore to own a powerful bike.

I don't like some loud exhausts for road use, a GSX-R1000 just OEM is fast without having to be noisy.

Many here without mods lose power fitting after market exhausts or having no exhaust but there not interested in power just noise.

35 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Many here without mods lose power fitting after market exhausts or having no exhaust but there not interested in power just noise.

I know that sometimes aftermarket exhausts don't increase power. But riding on a bike with great sound just feels faster. ?

I know it should not be too noisy but lots of new bikes make almost no noise at all anymore - which is kind of boring.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Fun and convenience i can understand. Not much convenience with a big bike about town. I can understand a powerful bike for track days and the like but to just purr about town with a muffler is just knobby

Did anybody here say a big bike is convenient in town? Everybody who i know who has a big bike in Thailand does also have a smaller bike for short trips in town and most people also a car.

For longer trips a big bike is just more fun than a small bike (making a longer trip on a small bike can be fun as well, but imo on a big bike it's just more fun), and it's definitely more convenient for longer trips because more comfortable (a supersports bike maybe not as much as a bike with a more "natural" seating position) and because you reach your target quicker (if you like driving fast, i know some people like touring with 80km/h, then a big bike does of course not have a speed advantage over a Honda Wave)

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
Nonsense from a non-enthusiast,  saying it's a macho thing is out of context.
Those 2 bikes you've had just shows you haven't experience power.

I bet you 10 baht you have one of those loud muffler exhaust things

You daredevil! ?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But riding on a bike with great sound just feels faster. ?

Yeah sadly that's what many think, up to them.

My take is in Thailand there's good sounding loud motorbikes but too many bad sounding loud ones.

When in UK my Blade set up for a track day was nice noisier for hp gains, when used on road it was changed back otherwise police would nick me. 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I remember those engines from a long time ago when I was young.

I wonder how many people would now like to buy a 6 cylinder bike if it would be available.

My UK neighbour had one at the back of his garage with crap covering it...He was fluffing around on stuff that l really did wonder why...But, we are all different I suppose..?

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They tend to be boyish even butch sometimes.
Its the same for powerful cars too, lets throw in ego to the mix too

You really do not know what you are talking about.

It appears you are also a sexist in that a pretty girl cannot ride a fast powerful motorcycle. Or car.

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nonsense from a petrol head. I had a Honda CBR600 and BMW GS800F but i grew out of "needing" big bikes. In Thailand you don't need it, its mainly a macho thing just accept it

well personally neither a cbr600 or a GS 800 would not pull the skin of a rice pudding.

We are supposed to be talking about BIG bikes.

well personally neither a cbr600 or a GS 800 would not pull the skin of a rice pudding.

Precisely my point, petrol head types try to out do each other with power. That's why bikes are up to 1200+. A better and more interesting discussion would be why men have egos and need to be macho

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
11 hours ago, moose7117 said:

A better and more interesting discussion would be why men have egos and need to be macho

Then open a new topic, discuss this if you want.

You brought up the macho-ego thing, no on else.

It has nothing to do with the topic.

So take your BIG (555) bikes from the past

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Precisely my point, petrol head types try to out do each other with power. That's why bikes are up to 1200+. A better and more interesting discussion would be why men have egos and need to be macho

I’ll call BS on that statement…petrol heads (I’m one) are into engineering as a whole, and appreciate bikes (in this case) for what they are and how they stir the soul. A case in point, I would take an RD350LC all day long over a CBR600…and you’re Bavarian Tractor (in standard form) is just a large commuter bike. It’s got diddly squat to do with ego or being macho.

Motorcyclist.jpg

On 9/10/2018 at 8:02 PM, moose7117 said:

You should get out there and show these guys how it's done on your BIG bike.

After all. 600's can't pull the skin off a rice pudding ?

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Joking I guess but 600's compared to 1000 cc bike is slow, that said that's one of the best vids of IOM.

I rode the IOM road race track on my Fireblade 900 many moons back. 

moose7117 twisted it referring to BIG bikes which anything over 400 cc is considered BIG bike, nowadays though with the mods available I'd throw in some 250 cc bikes.

The thread as I understand it is about today's power that comes from 1000 cc up in mainly sportsbikes of acceleration and top end.

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks for the video!

I think that sums up this topic. Is there any rider out there in TV land who would dare to use all that power from that 600cc bike?

I think it's absolutely scary to watch this. Who needs more power? And if you think you need more will you be faster than that guy on the little 600?

Archived