What's the point of so much power?

OneMoreFarang

I rode a souped up 1984 Yamaha V-MAX for 22 years before moving to Thailand. It would run 10 second quarter miles, 0-60mph in just about 2.0 seconds and yet was a daily driver. 

The reason you ride a big bike is simple - adrenaline rush. I would drive normally most of the time (ok, some of the time) but when I wanted that kick all I had to do was grab some throttle. If the road was straight and smooth 175mph was not out of the question. Stand up wheelies at 100mph in 3rd gear were crazy.

Here in Thailand I don't think I could find good enough roads for that speed, but a quick throttle grab would still make me smile. When I do get a big bike it will certainly have more than 100hp, otherwise it is not worth it. Until then the scooters will have to do....  

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s nothing like going

0 – 100 km/h in 2.6 seconds.

My Ducati Diavel totally awesome.

Not too many people on the planet have had the opportunity to be in control of a vehicle which can accelerate at this rate.

I am one of the lucky few.

i have a mod 216hp zx14r. Some people just want to spin the rear wheel to 300km power slide corners and try and get 0+100times at every lights (best so far 2.3sec on diesel laced humid streets for kiks).

Theres an adrenaline rush when the ram air kicks. My bike does 110km in first gear.

Im an old guy, ride mx also and have to be forced to take the cub out. I keep breaking the dam thing!

What can i say. You love it or hate it.

the question should be what's the deal with all the little girly bikes? I used to make and export race parts for thai bikes. Still to this day i dont get it but can tell you every man with testosterone will spend big to make there lil bikes something. Me, i just break em!

i should state that sports bikes are exactly that sports bikes. Designed to accelerate, break and handle incredibly well. They are fine on thai roads if you have commonsense and fun at the same time. takes a couple seconds to be doing 200+km on anything in the 200hp club so its not like pointing your crappy thai ute down hill to wait 20min to get close to 200km and these bikes do stop on a dime with in reason so you can have fun on short roads. All i can say is from about 265kmh up things are vastly different. Gota do it to undersrand. That said always wear a jacket (should anyway) or youll be flab slapping yourself and red sore for days. lol but still fun. Body doesnt deal with intense speeds so well....

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Because I like it and I can, would still like it now at my age if I could justify the cost.

The only thrill greater than a big bike at speed on a long sweeping curve at 250 kph is riding a horse. Done both. Bike is cheaper. Used to race in Oz, promoting my biz. In Thailand, it's bloody dangerous. 

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Being able to accelerate away from tailgating Vigo's.

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Being able to cruise at reasonably high speed without wringing the bike's neck.

Jeez.

And 150 bhp isn't enough for either of the above?

Ride for atleast 10-20 years, it's not about the numbers or the speed. Just human curiosity to reach 200km/h, 300km/h. And? Those who done it, just remembered they done it. Will they do it again? A few might. Most won't. Is it enjoyable? Not really.

70-100hp bike is more than enough, more importantly I would say is the torque, mainly low end torque. Aim for 60+ lbf⋅ft. You want a bike that is always ready in all circumstances, not hunting for power and struggling. Especially when going uphills. Every bike handles differently as well as the seating position, find one that you love and enjoy. Nothing beats the smile on the face, when you roll the throttle lightly and vroom you get taken away.

19 hours ago, Rhys said:

post-7852-0-53018800-1467734027_thumb.jpg57ff89c5d4d73_Babeonabike.jpg.bbc02e9f4ad5b6a69582e10117dd5521.jpg... because we are riders, we will always push it to our own limit and fun levels...

I'd like to ride that.  I bet if has a whole lot of power!  More than enough to give this old farang a thrill!!!  :thumbsup:

If you ride a powerful bike on a regular basis you get used to the speed and acceleration. If you can handle uncomfortable ergonomics, a super bike on empty sweeping roads up north and around Nan with a new set of tyres and no speed cameras is probably the most fun you can have on public roads anywhere.  

31 minutes ago, GWS said:

If you ride a powerful bike on a regular basis you get used to the speed and acceleration. If you can handle uncomfortable ergonomics, a super bike on empty sweeping roads up north and around Nan with a new set of tyres and no speed cameras is probably the most fun you can have on public roads anywhere.  

Ok, now what's the difference in fun with i.e. a NC30 with about 65hp, a 600cc with maybe 120hp and a 1000cc with 180hp?

I guess most of us won't be able or willing to race the NC30 to it's limits. I had one, I was never even near the cornering limits.

Obviously everyone can open the throttle for a few seconds on a straight lane. But cornering these bike on their limits is a big challenge - at least I think so.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, now what's the difference in fun with i.e. a NC30 with about 65hp, a 600cc with maybe 120hp and a 1000cc with 180hp?

I guess most of us won't be able or willing to race the NC30 to it's limits. I had one, I was never even near the cornering limits.

Obviously everyone can open the throttle for a few seconds on a straight lane. But cornering these bike on their limits is a big challenge - at least I think so.

NC30 yes would be fun on the tigher corners but you got to consider the riders experience, abilities confidence and where they live and who your riding with. All bikes are fun to ride and have different positives and negatives. Another big  factor for me personally that if i had a choice to ride on a smaller cramped RC30 with gear on the back for a 1-2 week trip from say BKK to Nan or ride a Superbike, i would take the Superbike for its larger size, leg room and better crusing speed for the inevitable straight roads. Agreed that I will never ride a superbike  nears its limits on the road but its fun to have all that power with modern handling and braking. If you were based up at Nan and owned an NC30 , 600cc and a Superbike i would definitely ride all 3.

2 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

It has been my observation that Extra power gives one the right to run the red lights....lol....??

Really? In Thailand I see many guys with the scooters ignoring the red lights. Most guys with bigger bikes wait. But obviously there are exceptions.

4 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

It has been my observation that Extra power gives one the right to run the red lights....lol....??

I guess you spend a lot of time looking at others, this observation is not one that I share. Most people on big bikes are more safety minded and do stop at red lights. I have ridden with a few Thais too.. not just foreigners, they obeyed the red lights.

Its usually cars running red lights not big bikes, most people on a big bike know how dangerous it is.

I guess you spend a lot of time looking at others, this observation is not one that I share. Most people on big bikes are more safety minded and do stop at red lights. I have ridden with a few Thais too.. not just foreigners, they obeyed the red lights.

Its usually cars running red lights not big bikes, most people on a big bike know how dangerous it is.

Agree with you - would never attempt to run a red light here or speed off at a green light because of cars running red lights !

The shop where I bought my bike also arranges safety driving courses for beginners and advanced riders on the Honda safety parkour on the Doi Saket road in Chiang Mai - you see lots of Thais lately joining their courses.

Also being safety minded I noted that when I approach a police checkpoint anywhere in Northern Thailand where I tour with my bike - they just glance at me - wearing a proper jacket, Helmet , gloves e.g for your own safety - they just wave me on - I have never been stopped once!

Although I make sure I carry all the necessary papers with me all the time and purchased a proper first class insurance not that useless 3rd party insurance that’s compulsory here.

Stay safe everybody! And expect the unexpected here at all times - like a mudslide in the rainy season or a bunch of cows around the corner in the middle of the road! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Try it on Thai roads and you will not only think you are flying but you are actually airborne between bumps and potholes.

OK have your Thai road dig  ?  if go all around Thailand there many roads you can do 250 kph (155 mph ) is nothing really for many bikes 3rd gear stuff.

37 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

250 kph (155 mph ) is nothing really for many bikes 3rd gear stuff.

Maybe you were just exagerating but out of curiosity I checked a couple superbikes (S1000RR, Panigale V4, H2, Hayabusa) and none come close to 250kph in 3rd gear.

Archived