What's the point of so much power?

OneMoreFarang

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Your choice for sure but I have to say I do not understand people saying that, I luv riding here and my m/c jacket has holes and I can feel cold at times.

So you don't understand the following risks when driving a big bike in Thailand (fast).

Huge potholes, falling coconuts, loose dogs/chickens/cows/elephants/lizzards, drunk drivers, unlicensed drivers, homebuilt vehicles, young kids, selfish drivers, bad mechanics, and so on??

On the motobike in thailand i have to concentrate 100% on driving, no time to enjoy the view or anything else....lately i even discovered a new skyscraper next to our entrance which was already finished before i saw it for the first time and have passed it daily.

The only reason i drive motocy in BKK is to slip through traffic fast, it's not relaxed at all....

seriously you idiots !

there are risks to riding a bike anywhere, Thailand ,Australia,Canada even Istanbul.

stop bloody whinging, Australian for complaining, and just accept that some people have different ideas of risk.and in my, and obviously many others, opinion riding a "BIG" bike in Thailand aint risky at all.

8 hours ago, moose7117 said:

seriously you idiots !

there are risks to riding a bike anywhere, Thailand ,Australia,Canada even Istanbul.

stop bloody whinging, Australian for complaining, and just accept that some people have different ideas of risk.and in my, and obviously many others, opinion riding a "BIG" bike in Thailand aint risky at all.

"Thailand [roads] aint risky at all" - Did you make your will already?

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Thailand [roads] aint risky at all" - Did you make your will already?

i just happen to ride on them a lot.

the road is not going to kill you , not paying attention to your surroundings is what will kill you.

the Thai belief that Buddha will take care of them and if they have an accident it was his will, tends to make them a little bit blasé towards road safety, most foreigners in this country that have grown up interacting with motor vehicles seem to be much more aware of the dangers.

remaining alert and understanding the dangers of your surroundings and using correct judgement are the most important things about staying alive, it works on any countries roads, on the battlefield and walking around in dangerous places etc.

1 hour ago, moose7117 said:

the road is not going to kill you , not paying attention to your surroundings is what will kill you.

the Thai belief that Buddha will take care of them and if they have an accident it was his will, tends to make them a little bit blasé towards road safety, most foreigners in this country that have grown up interacting with motor vehicles seem to be much more aware of the dangers.

remaining alert and understanding the dangers of your surroundings and using correct judgement are the most important things about staying alive, it works on any countries roads, on the battlefield and walking around in dangerous places etc.

Being alert is obviously a good idea. Knowing what to do is also necessary.

But there are these moments when unexpected things happen.

I rode once on Bangna Trad road, maybe with 130km/h. Then I encountered one of those "hills" and was airborne for a moment. There were also a couple of potholes on that road. If one of those potholes would have been in the landing area I guess that would have been disastrous. Unfortunately these things happen on Thai roads. And obviously it gets more dangerous with higher speed. I guess that is one reason why I don't want or need a bike which goes really fast in Thailand. The risk is high.

4 hours ago, moose7117 said:

I think this sums it up quite well...

Motorcycling.jpg

6 hours ago, moose7117 said:

Agree some strange people on forums IMO on riding Thailand roads, the roads are getting better as time goes on, there inexperience if they think Thailand is dangerous again IMO.

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Obvious from the replies here -

Some - very few - experienced bikers

The rest - 555

Granny panties and/or Depends required to do it ' Their Way'

Agree an experienced biker would not consider Thailand roads dangerous, there's a bit of a difference in road users habits yeah but you soon get to be aware of that. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree an experienced biker would not consider Thailand roads dangerous, there's a bit of a difference in road users habits yeah but you soon get to be aware of that. 

Yes, I am aware of stray dogs and buffaloes with two and four legs in my area...?

19 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Obvious from the replies here -

Some - very few - experienced bikers

The rest - 555

Granny panties and/or Depends required to do it ' Their Way'

My, what a sophisticated sense of humour!

" Granny panties"

Wow, so funny.

You forgot 'LOL'

On 9/21/2018 at 1:34 PM, Kwasaki said:

Agree some strange people on forums IMO on riding Thailand roads, the roads are getting better as time goes on, there inexperience if they think Thailand is dangerous again IMO.

Yes the roads are indeed getting better every year but saying "there inexperience if they think Thailand is dangerous again IMO" you are killing me dude !!

Roads are still very dangerous, even the new good looking ones hide holes / bumps / dirt a bit everywhere, there's still millions of ways to die here and overall we can't say it's that safe.

Anyway to answer the OP, no need for 100HP or 200HP here, no way, you need a bike with maneuverability around here, and that's not gonna happen on a bike with 150+ HP.

I have a CB400SF here, drove it BKK to chiang mai / Pattaya / Hua Hin / Pai  etc, i wouldn't mind having the Hornet 600 (which would be my dream bike for Thailand), but the super four is so nimble, accurate, docile, i wouldn't trade it for anything like a ninja or a z900.

Big bikes are just for the show, just like someone else asked why people buy Lamborghini or Ferrari, you don't use them in BKK everyday, you don't use them to do 250+km/h, it's just for your pride / self flattering.

+ Not even speaking about the heat, good luck driving around on a CBR1000 between March / June, the bike's heat is gonna melt your bones.

The best practicable bike you can probably easily buy in Thailand would be the CB650 

54 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Yes the roads are indeed getting better every year but saying "there inexperience if they think Thailand is dangerous again IMO" you are killing me dude !!

Roads are still very dangerous, even the new good looking ones hide holes / bumps / dirt a bit everywhere, there's still millions of ways to die here and overall we can't say it's that safe.

Anyway to answer the OP, no need for 100HP or 200HP here, no way, you need a bike with maneuverability around here, and that's not gonna happen on a bike with 150+ HP.

I have a CB400SF here, drove it BKK to chiang mai / Pattaya / Hua Hin / Pai  etc, i wouldn't mind having the Hornet 600 (which would be my dream bike for Thailand), but the super four is so nimble, accurate, docile, i wouldn't trade it for anything like a ninja or a z900.

Big bikes are just for the show, just like someone else asked why people buy Lamborghini or Ferrari, you don't use them in BKK everyday, you don't use them to do 250+km/h, it's just for your pride / self flattering.

+ Not even speaking about the heat, good luck driving around on a CBR1000 between March / June, the bike's heat is gonna melt your bones.

The best practicable bike you can probably easily buy in Thailand would be the CB650 

opinions are like r soles, everybody has one but they aren't always yours.

in my opinion, you are an idiot !

59 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

...????........

20 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

opinions are like r soles, everybody has one but they aren't always yours.

in my opinion, you are an idiot !

Oh boy, seems i hurt someone's feelings real bad !

I way way you'r right, that was a personal opinion, so let us hear yours, i just can't wait to hear it, i mean literally.

Would you find an Hayabusa perfectly suited for Thailand's roads and traffic conditions ?
Or was it that i said Thai roads are overall unsafe ?

Or maybe both things ?

2 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

I way way you'r right, that was a personal opinion, so let us hear yours, i just can't wait to hear it, i mean literally.

Would you find an Hayabusa perfectly suited for Thailand's roads and traffic conditions ?

Or maybe both things ?

Hayabusa: No

Husqvarna: Yes

husqvarna-makes-supermoto-comeback-with-the-2015-fs-450_2.jpg.dbe3ed420a1d5dc8dd28a0656929330f.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Or maybe both things ?

Sunbeam, some of us like to own high HP rides, doesn't mean we will be tearing up the streets on/in them..My fun rides had 700hp on tap and in 23 years l never got nicked or had an accident in it..We are all different regarding our fun ..????

Just now, transam said:

Sunbeam, some of us like to own high HP rides, doesn't mean we will be tearing up the streets on/in them..My fun rides had 700hp on tap and in 23 years l never got nicked or had an accident in it..We are all different regarding our fun ..????

Agreed 100%

I have a cb100RR fireblade (technically 954cc) back home, i hear your point, just saying it would not come to my mind to buy one in here, no freaking way !

3 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Need to ask (off topic) : i've heard terrible things about KTM's reliability lately, is that true, any issues yet ?

Personally I have no problems with the bike and no problem with the KTM service in Bangkok.

Looking at other forums some people have problems, like with any other brand and any other bike. But lots of people are also very happy with that bike. You will find lots of YouTube videos with lots of happy Duke riders.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, VYCM said:

Do you know what a Bugatti Veyron is?

It is a road registered racing car which outperforms most racing cars when it was released.

What racing are you talking about F1?

Do you understand how much power is needed to get from 0 – 100 in 2.6 seconds?

Not really. But I take comfort that apparently neither did the Veyron's designers as they had to get Michelin to build a special tire to handle all the 'pointless' torque.

"A set of the Super Sport's special Michelin tires costs $42,000 and may last 10,000 miles if you're careful, though they last only 15 minutes at the car's top speed (at that pace, however, the 26.4-gallon tank is sucked dry in just 10 minutes, and there's no place on Earth to safely go that fast that long anyway, ..." not even a fast, weekend sprint from Bangkok to Pattaya.

14 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Or maybe both things ?

if you want my opinion, read my previous posts in this thread, or maybe better yet read the entire thread .

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I have no problems with the bike and no problem with the KTM service in Bangkok.

Looking at other forums some people have problems, like with any other brand and any other bike. But lots of people are also very happy with that bike. You will find lots of YouTube videos with lots of happy Duke riders.

Motorbikers know whatever you have it's a motorbike, some may have issues with there bikes some don't, I had problems with my Versys 650 but I'm a fussy git probably many owners would of just let the dealer simply sort it.

That said Versys 650 is powerful and one of the best buys for touring Thailand.

Archived