Taxi drivers to descend on Transport Ministry demanding fare hike

webfact

Taxi drivers to descend on Transport Ministry demanding fare hike

By The Nation

taxith.jpg

FILE photo

About 100 taxi drivers are planning to mass at the Transport Ministry next month to demand an increase in the fare structure and a ban on Grab and other foreign ride-hailing services.

Worapol Kaemkhunthod, president of a professional taxi drivers association, said the protest would culminate with a four-point petition being submitted to Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith.

He said the cabbies first wanted the fare charged while the taxi is not in motion increased from Bt2 to Bt3 per minute to cover a rise in fuel costs.

Worapol believes the rate increase would encourage taxi drivers to accept all passengers even on congested routes.

The drivers next want a ban on private taxi services and non-taxi cars.

Grab is currently the only service using private cars in Thailand. Uber withdrew its service earlier this year.

Third, the taxi drivers want the government to cancel a plan that would allow a foreign firm to invest in an electric-vehicle taxi service, which they regard as detrimental to Thai taxi businesses.

And they want the ministry to subsidise an association project by which members can buy the taxis they drive through daily Bt600 instalments over five years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353865

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-06
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

Third, the taxi drivers want the government to cancel a plan that would allow a foreign firm to invest in an electric-vehicle taxi service, which they regard as detrimental to Thai taxi businesses.

The operative word here being "SERVICE"! Can't have farang doing that! 

• Haha 1

I think there would be a case for raising the minimum charge in Bangkok to 100 Bahts. Not sure about the mileage charge. The introduction of a time tier could be pertinent too, but would probably require the replacement of all meters.

Enforcement of meters could then become stricter.

• Confused 1

I have nothing against a reasonable fare hike... if the quality of service hikes correspondingly.

But if Grab Taxi is banned, I'll be mightily pissed. While I never use their private car service, I frequently book a regular taxi to come pick me and my luggage up right in front of my house. I don't relish the prospect of having to lug my suitcases down to the main road just to have several taxis refuse to take me or demand an outrageous "flat rate" to give me the metered service they are required to provide by law.

As I said: Hike the fare, but also hike the service quality. And leave my Grab alone! 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said the cabbies first wanted the fare changed

One cabbie already beat him to the punch. A few weeks ago, this gentleman wanted B600 to go from Don Muang to Ploenchit. I declined his kind offer...

bad taxi.JPG

Edited by missoura

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Does the above not kind of sum up their mentality .. They need to real up to the ever changing world of technology .. Folk who wanna taxi ride like the idea of being able to book when and where they want it on the phone .. Self drive cars are coming ,to cities around the world and are seen as part of the solution to some cities congestion grief .. Their refusal to not only accept the technology but actively try and obstruct and kick out at it bears some comparison to the Industrial Revolution luddites who went 'round smashing and vandalising the new machinery that was taking over doing a lot of the stuff that they thought was their own preserve .. That's progress , get real to it boys it ain't going away ..

I think the Luddites acted out of more reasons than you stated. For a start it was about not just becoming wage slaves to the rich.

And what are people supposed to do? Roll over and take it? Not have a job? This is a serious problem in the West too, with more manual labour going to automation etc. Do we live in a society where we just chuck people to one side because they 'can't get with the times"?

• Like 1

What a joke. Meters are used at random; CNX airport‘s fare from airport to the night bazaar is 67 Baht (with heavy traffic); they had no problem charging me 150 Baht upfront. 
Taxi back to Airport Plaza Chiang Mai is 56 Baht, the airport (300 Metres further up) 180 Baht; Grab Taxi that is.

In Bangkok, the longer the more drivers just drive off if they don’t like the destination or quote you a ridiculously high fare - without meter of course. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

And they want the ministry to subsidise an association project by which members can buy the taxis they drive

So not only do they want a rate hike they also want someone else to buy their taxi for them.

So they want to increase prices and decrease competition. 

In fairness I think it would be reasonable to increase the stationary fare from  2 baht/min to 3 baht/min.  

However, their expectation to rid the city of competition shows their true agenda.

Why not compete with Grab on an equivalent level - offer a convenient application. 

The reason I use Grab even though its slightly more expensive - the drivers know there is potential recourse if they drive poorly. Grab logs the ride and details of both the passenger and driver, thus through potential accountability offering a 'layer' of safety for both the driver and the passenger. 

After a few too many the other night I left a bottle of expensive Whisky in the taxi... I noticed immediately but not after the Grab Car was driving off. Too late to run after the Grab Car, I simply called the driver (his number registered on the app), told him I'd forgotten a bag and asked him to come back (he didn't want a tip, but I insisted). 

I have reduced my regular Taxi's usage as much as possible due to the amount of Taxi's I get in where I'm not entirely happy or comfortable with the journey etc and I would like to log a complaint but can't (cos the DLT app doesn't work properly!). 

To be honest, the taxi's aren't that bad, but there is a better alternative in Grab Car and I don't have to walk 250m out of my Soi to flag down a taxi, be refused a few times...  I just simply use an App and it turns up... 

Thai Taxi's... Its time to get into the 21st century, improve and you will be used more. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I think the Luddites acted out of more reasons than you stated. For a start it was about not just becoming wage slaves to the rich.

And what are people supposed to do? Roll over and take it? Not have a job? This is a serious problem in the West too, with more manual labour going to automation etc. Do we live in a society where we just chuck people to one side because they 'can't get with the times"?

Do we need to keep outdated business practices and bad service just to employ people.. these guys could make more money if they just accepted the rides they were offered. But no.. they cherry pick.. refuse people.. refuse to turn on the meter. Sorry, but no extra money should be given to them unless they improve service.. why pay more for the same crappy service.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do we need to keep outdated business practices and bad service just to employ people.. these guys could make more money if they just accepted the rides they were offered. But no.. they cherry pick.. refuse people.. refuse to turn on the meter. Sorry, but no extra money should be given to them unless they improve service.. why pay more for the same crappy service.

Agreed... giving more money would simply add to the sense of entitlement... 

However, asking for a 2 to 3 baht per minute increase is not much... but, in doing so the DLT should be prepared to come down harshly on poor service rather than the current 'occasional crack down to please the media' followed by a general absence of thought on the matter until another issue crops up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2018 at 1:06 PM, KiChakayan said:

I think there would be a case for raising the minimum charge in Bangkok to 100 Bahts. Not sure about the mileage charge. The introduction of a time tier could be pertinent too, but would probably require the replacement of all meters.

Enforcement of meters could then become stricter.

Have you considered that the majority of passengers are Thai.

100Baht flagfall would mean way less total customers.

Not a good strategy. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

There are good pleasant honest safe drivers, but the rest seem to come from own pool - determined to ignore basic rules and determined to cheat. 

20 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

There's truth in what you say but that doesn't make it OK to cheat people. 

The rich.. how many rich Thais take taxis? They have their own cars and plenty of them have their own drivers.

Thai taxi customers are more likely to be the middle class and specific customer groups. e.g. I'm aware of several small groups of female uni students who are frightened to take buses alone, especially at night especially at night, so they take taxis, but always in small groups, and destination specific to a location where they can all get out together and not have remain in the taxi alone. 

Also by doing the hire in a group they can pool their available but limited funds to pay the fare and get home more safe and fairly quickly.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

There are good pleasant honest safe drivers, but the rest seem to come from own pool - determined to ignore basic rules and determined to cheat. 

Agreed... there are plenty of good, pleasant, honest, safe Taxi drivers, driving clean, safe taxi's... The issue is they can't readily be differentiated from the chancing scum and after various poor experiences its becomes a simple choice to avoid the possibility and utilize a better, albeit slightly more expensive service. 

A proportion of bad apples can potentially have a greater impact on all Taxi's as people seek alternatives. 

• Sad 1