Twitter permanently bans Alex Jones and website Infowars

webfact

Twitter permanently bans Alex Jones and website Infowars

2018-09-06T211703Z_1_LYNXNPEE8523W_RTROPTP_4_TWITTER-INFOWARS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Conspiracy theorist, radio talk show host and Infowars.net founder Alex Jones walks up Elm Street past the spot where U.S. President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dealey Plaza in 1963 one day before commemorations of the 50th anniversary of the assassination in Dallas, Texas, U.S., November 21, 2013. REUTERS/Jim Bourg/File Photo

(Reuters) - Twitter Inc said on Thursday that it had permanently banned U.S. conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and his website Infowars from its platform and Periscope.

The company said in a tweet that the accounts violated its behaviour policies.

Last month, Twitter banned Jones and Infowars for seven days, citing tweets that it said violated the company's rules against abusive behaviour, which state that a user may not engage in targeted harassment of someone or incite other people to do so.

The ban came weeks after Apple, Alphabet's YouTube, and Facebook took down podcasts and channels from Jones, citing community standards.

(Reporting by Laharee Chatterjee and Sayanti Chakraborty in Bengaluru)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-07
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Lots of Youtubers are being shadow banned, demonetized, and banned outright. It has created counter sites like Bitchute which is full of YouTube exiles. I don't use Facebook or Twitter but I understand they also are banning or have tactics to make politically incorrect opinions invisible. Also Mastercard has pressured Patreon to block some people from their service (this is how vloggers get paid). I believe Laura Southern had this happen to her. And that is scary when the financial institutions decide what opinions they will allow.

Yes they are private companies, but they also monopolize their formats.

Private businesses, private rules.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, manarak said:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I got mixed feelings about this.

While I recognize the right for any private company to choose what they publish, I also have a growing concern about pluralism in internet-based media.

Infowars still has it website and whatever, but once Twitter, Facebook and other mainstream platforms start to ban it, the next step could be search engines.

Google could say "hey, we are free to choose what we show to users". And they would be right - under current law.

Some already allege that conservative content is ranked lower in search results.

One thing is different about today's internet media - it's a 2-way communication whereas in the past newspapers and TV, radio were one way push.

I think it's time to think about big internet publishers and search engines and censorship of user-generated or third-party-generated content. The danger is that these giants control the whole of information people get, but not only they censor part of it out but at the same time give users the false impression of free speech and of wholeness of information and opinions, when in fact they provide neither.

It's a dangerous and slippery slope.

I do not personally think it is a slippery slope, I think we have already slipped all the way down it. 

If you do not like what google does, you could use another search engine. As far as I know, as a business they are free to write their search algorythm however they please. They could even turn up "pink peanut butter" reaults when you type in "donald trump" if they wanted to. And they do to some extent... everything they do is based on profits because they are a company in a capitalistic society. Again, we have already slipped to the bottom. We see what corporate america wants us to see, we buy what they want us to buy...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MajarTheLion said:

May I suggest you look up repulsive actions before declaring Jones' silly Sandy Hook theory so high on the list? There's Ted Bundy, the killing of 50 people at a night club in Florida and thousands if not millions more examples of far more repulsive actions.

And that is relevant to a thread on banning Alex Jones from Twitter exactly how?

Hey, I have an idea. When Sarah Sanders finally has had enough Alex Jones should take over. His new boss did after all write the book on repulsive actions and statements.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...I believe Laura Southern had this happen to her..."

Sorry, I have no idea who this is.

Canadian far right agitator -  she has been refused entry to a few countries as a security risk. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_Southern

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

got facebook MONITORING me because i told some truths about the Muslim religion, even got a warning, any how i have been following the Goodwood Revival (huge classic car race event going to take place this weekend) and this morning i get, *this might be of interest to you* and its classic cars from Europe . wonder how they know i like classic car racing ?? HA HA

• Like 1

Alex Jones gave a platform to Tommy Robinson.

I have never heard him advocate hate or violence. What is wrong with questioning the narrative of a corporate media that are only owned by a handful of huge corporations with a globalist agenda?

Many of his detractors never have listened to him or have only heard "cherry-picked" excerpts of one of his dramatic or comedic rants.

Jones is not "far right".  He is libertarian and has hosted both Ron Paul and Rand Paul, voices of reason and sanity in an insanely corrupt warmongering, opaque, insolvent U.S. government.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So you’ve just admitted to breaching Facebook’s user rules.

Chomper, does that statement of yours imply that you use Facebook a lot (I confess not to be a user, and I have never signed up for Twitter). ?

Perhaps usage of Facebook leads to its users being in a constant state of "confusion"?  Just a thought.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, milwaukeeboy said:

Alex Jones gave a platform to Tommy Robinson.

I have never heard him advocate hate or violence. What is wrong with questioning the narrative of a corporate media that are only owned by a handful of huge corporations with a globalist agenda?

Many of his detractors never have listened to him or have only heard "cherry-picked" excerpts of one of his dramatic or comedic rants.

Jones is not "far right".  He is libertarian and has hosted both Ron Paul and Rand Paul, voices of reason and sanity in an insanely corrupt warmongering, opaque, insolvent U.S. government.

Among other things he claimed the Newtown massacre didn't really happen and/or it was staged by the government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Private businesses, private rules.

One exception to this is when private businesses have a monopolistic market position. for the industry, there are antitrust laws.

Similarly, Microsoft and Google have been sentenced several times to be more fair to competitors because of their dominant position.

I believe that currently Google and Facebook have a monopolistic position for online content. According to polls, many people don't have any other source for news.

If big tech starts to excessively censor content, plurality may have to be protected by law.

Edited by manarak

2 hours ago, manarak said:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I got mixed feelings about this.

While I recognize the right for any private company to choose what they publish, I also have a growing concern about pluralism in internet-based media.

Infowars still has it website and whatever, but once Twitter, Facebook and other mainstream platforms start to ban it, the next step could be search engines.

Google could say "hey, we are free to choose what we show to users". And they would be right - under current law.

Some already allege that conservative content is ranked lower in search results.

One thing is different about today's internet media - it's a 2-way communication whereas in the past newspapers and TV, radio were one way push.

I think it's time to think about big internet publishers and search engines and censorship of user-generated or third-party-generated content. The danger is that these giants control the whole of information people get, but not only they censor part of it out but at the same time give users the false impression of free speech and of wholeness of information and opinions, when in fact they provide neither.

It's a dangerous and slippery slope.

I'm very much with you on this matter.

I stopped using Facebook once it was impossible to see variety of topics and points of views. Click 'Like'  on one, very active users post and the whole timeline is full of his or hers posts. Annoying, which often resulted muting the users.

I currently use Twitter. If Twitter starts to filter different kind of opinions, even the crazy ones, I'll move on and possible start using and promoting IRC once again. I need a platform where different kind of opinions can meet, communicate and yes occasionally fight as well.

If there are some people who can't separate facts from fiction, it's on education system of the users country, which needs an overhaul. 

If the ISP's start to filter the IRC or similar, non centrified, discussions, then it's time to go deeper and start using TOR networks. Obviously even TOR networks can't guarantee 100% messaging authenticity, but at least it's far more difficult for those who were filtering the Facebook etc traffic, to control the information flow.  

The more there is filtering in the Internet, the more resistance against the filtering will arise. We and the Internet was born free and we are going to keep it in that way.

5 minutes ago, manarak said:

One exception to this is when private businesses have a monopolistic market position. for the industry, there are antitrust laws.

Similarly, Microsoft and Google have been sentenced several times to be more fair to competitors because of their dominant position.

I believe that currently Google and Facebook have a monopolistic position for online content. According to polls, many people don't have any other source for news.

If big tech starts to excessively censor content, plurality may have to be protected by law.

Then split big tech.

You’ll not get far arguing against private business, private rules.

Alex Jones is basically a TV salesman pushing crappy products to millions of low IQ Americans.

What worries me is this is could be a practice run to get rid of RT TV which is one of the few sources of real news presented by American researches and reporters most of whom were fired by main stream media.

Freedom of speech and the public right to corporate and political awareness has almost gone.

• Like 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

hammering a slogan doesn't make it more relevant.

but I agree, interests of the mainstream and of politicians are congruent, so who would support plurality when masses can be better controlled through online monoculture

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Then split big tech.

Tech companies and even technologies come and they fade away. In this discussion we can concentrate to the few existing ones and their policies or we can talk about more fundamental issue of free speech.